05 Rear Spring Adjustments

7 replies to this topic
  • kskyles

Posted March 29, 2006 - 06:05 AM

I'm trying to adjust my rear shock spring for the correct riding sag. I'm trying to loosen the top lock nut. I have lubricated the threads with WD-40 and have been banging on it with a long punch and screwdriver. I can only access it from the right side (opposite of the airbox access).

Is there another way to get at that lock nut? Do I have to remove the airbox or subframe to do this? What have you guys done?

• dbailey223

Posted March 29, 2006 - 09:24 AM

On my 03, I took out the top bolt of the subframe so I could pivot it down and out of the way. To pivot it, though, I had to disconnect the lines to the coolant overflow, disconnect the battery leads, etc. because those would get stretched by pivoting the subframe down.

I read on TT that it was easier to remove the bottom subframe bolt and then pivot the subframe up towards the handlebars.

• SoCal WR426

Posted March 29, 2006 - 11:19 AM

Is the rear wheel off of the ground? It is more difficult if the bike is "loaded up" with the bike weight

• kskyles

Posted March 29, 2006 - 12:15 PM

I have it jacked up off of the ground. Rear and front wheels are not touching the ground, and it's strapped to the ATV jack. I've tried a long screw driver and it just digs in to the lock nut. The punch isn't budging it at all. I'm thinking I might have to do some disassembly of the machine to get at it. I did a search and it seems you can pull the shock without too much effort, but I'd prefer to set the sag without yanking the bike apart. I guess I'm a little lazy.

Is it easier to just drop the linkage and pull the shock? I've never had this issue on a bike before. On my old KLX300, you just take a plastic panel off and you have full access to the shock. This beastly WR takes a little more patience....I still love it, though :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Moto5

Posted March 29, 2006 - 12:24 PM

First thing throw the worthless WD-40 in the garbage and get some PB Blaster. Then try a different larger screwdriver and a bigger hammer.

• tony1970

Posted March 29, 2006 - 12:31 PM

Not to be a smart ass but remember righty tighty, lefty loosey. I have caught myself turning the nut the wrong way before because of the angle and area you have to adjust the spring. Also maybe try to tighten the top nut with a few taps to see if it will loosen it if you have any corrosion building up on the threads. Good luck.

• kskyles

Posted March 29, 2006 - 02:23 PM

Not to be a smart ass but remember righty tighty, lefty loosey. I have caught myself turning the nut the wrong way before because of the angle and area you have to adjust the spring. Also maybe try to tighten the top nut with a few taps to see if it will loosen it if you have any corrosion building up on the threads. Good luck.

yeah, i already caught myself going the wrong way once. :thumbsup: i think everyone does it. i think i'll try the pb blaster stuff.

• dbailey223

Posted March 29, 2006 - 02:27 PM

Once I got the subframe out of the way, I had a screw driver that was about 14" long with a big flat head blade--a couple good thumps and it was the lock nut and adjuster were loose. It took a lot of thumping on it to get it fully loosened up, but that's round 2 for you.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.