Which Steering Stabilizer for an 00 426?

17 replies to this topic
  • 2fastwhitey

Posted March 28, 2006 - 10:10 PM

I got a 00 426 and I've been looking for a steering stabilizer for a little bit now. I know about the Scott's and RTI and was wondering which one you guys prefer. Also what are the pro's and con's on the bad boy that you use. What do you think about the different mounting styles? Does it make a difference?

I ride a lot of different terrains, but I noticed on a few occasions that when I really open it up and run in to some ruts or whoops the bars almost want to whip them selves out of my hands. I've tried everything and I can fly through it but it is more a confidence thing.
Thanks fellas

• MRM82

Posted March 29, 2006 - 05:34 AM

I have the scotts and like it alot. Spend the extra 19.00 and get the large adjuster knob though, its well worth it.

• DrThumper

Posted March 29, 2006 - 08:39 AM

I use a GPR, on a stock triple clamp with a Renthal Vintage/Tall bar. The GPR fits under the crossbar nicely. The only thing I had to modify is machining two grooves on the back of the top triple clamp so it doesn't hit the bolt-on post, and had to cut a little peice of foam out of the crossbar pad. If you would like, email me and I will send you photos of the set-up.

• 2fastwhitey

Posted March 29, 2006 - 08:27 PM

I forgot to mention I have an Applied top triple tree with Fat bars. I have pretty high risers since I'm pretty tall. I want something that wont be to stiff that I can't flip the bike around, but I want it to hold the bars straight when I'm flying over an uneven road and the bike is wobbling side to side below me. Any idea of where to get a good deal. I get 15-20% off at a local shop but I'm always looking for a steal.

• swab400

Posted March 29, 2006 - 10:17 PM

I have a scotts and love it, also got the large knob, best thing you can buy for that damper. The scotts is the only way to fly in my opinion although I know some people that have the wer damper and love it as well, it is a good piece just not quite a scotts, kinda like a toyota versus a lexus both nice one real nice. :thumbsup:

• rbaillar

Posted March 29, 2006 - 10:31 PM

i can only comment on the gpr cause thats all i have used, i love mine. i heard the scotts has high and low speed dampenig where the gpr has only one. personally, im not so picky and just want simple dampenig. gpr also offers 3 models. i live close to the gpr building and can say the guys are really nice and will service your damper any time for free and they even replaced my knob and arm for free. so maybe if you live close to any of the manufactures that might be a plus.

• DrThumper

Posted March 30, 2006 - 08:49 AM

The Scott's hi-speed dampener is not to be adjusted by the user. GPR's is internal. I could never figure out why Scott's would put an adjustment on their unit that your not allowed to touch?!?
I've used both Scott's and GPR. Never could tell a difference....as far as your issues with flickability whilst still being solid on hi speed....not a problem. Thats what they are designed for. The only time I have a problem is if I just finished a haulin' ass section with the dampener set at a very high setting...then try loading the bike in the truck and I can't steer it while walking with it....Do'Oh!
GPR or Scott's....you like the Bling of the Scott's gold, or, the sleek, low-profile of less knobs and black color of the GPR...either way you will be extremely satisified! I won't own a bike w/o one!
The WER is goofy, mounts in a weird position and hard to get to adjust on the fly.

• bxrjim

Posted March 30, 2006 - 11:03 AM

I've used the same W.E.R. damper that I first installed on my '93 RMX. I've put it on 4 different bikes now and still love it. It is on a '01 YZ426F now.

• palmdaleRider

Posted March 30, 2006 - 01:54 PM

I have the GPR on my YZ. I usually keep in on lowest setting, until I start to feel it getting a bit crazy. This is usually in the sand washes for me, and I then crank it up and it's like magic. Good use of money these steering dampners are.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kid on a 426

Posted March 30, 2006 - 08:48 PM

I ride a lot of different terrains, but I noticed on a few occasions that when I really open it up and run in to some ruts or whoops the bars almost want to whip them selves out of my hands

I have that same problem too when hillclimbing. I just stand up get my butt over the back tire and pin it. The small square edged stutter bumps are what kill me. I just try to hold the tire over it but it can get scary when it drops and starts to tankslap :thumbsup: . I haven't had that problem in ruts though. The problem I have with ruts is wheeling too much out of them even though my tire is missing 4 knobs in a row and then the other parts aer peeling away. I think we both just need to lean it over more and get a little over the tank and roll it on earlier and smoother and that should fix it. As the old saying goes Practice makes perfect. (and I don't have $600 for a stabilizer :thumbsup: )

• 2fastwhitey

Posted March 31, 2006 - 12:16 AM

I think we both just need to lean it over more and get a little over the tank and roll it on earlier and smoother and that should fix it. As the old saying goes Practice makes perfect. (and I don't have $600 for a stabilizer :thumbsup: )

Well, I got the $600 bucks thats not even an issue. I don't have a problem leaning over the bike, my problem is that I get really bad side to side wobble, and I can get out of control with it really bad at high speed. To top it off at 6 feet 11 inches tall I have a high enough center of gravity as it is. Everybody says when they watch me ride that I make the bike look like a toy. I think I'm gonna go with a Scott's setup. I like the idea of being able to adjust it on the fly and the mounting looks good.

Thanks for the info guys.

• DrThumper

Posted March 31, 2006 - 01:25 PM

YOU'RE 6' 11"!!!! :confused:

I bet that YZ is like a pit-bike to you! :thumbsup:

You may want a Scott's (or GPR) on the top triple clamp and a WER on the bottom triple clamp! :thumbsup:

• 2fastwhitey

Posted March 31, 2006 - 06:37 PM

haha, That's funny!! 2 stabalizers...didn't think about that! but how cool would that look! :thumbsup:

Yea it feels like a pit bike, but I get it done. :thumbsup: Everybody always asks me what I'm doing on a bike and not at basketball practice, ha. Not funny! I guess you get, why I need the stabilizer now. Whose thought about making a mx bike for tall people, along with the tons of other things. Maybe I'll do it, and make a killing.

• jevc

Posted April 01, 2006 - 08:36 AM

When i got my stabilizer I went with the gpr for a couple of reasons. the mount with the built in in riser is mounted on an Applied clamp and I already had an applied clamp, so that saved me some money. With the riser built on to the stabilizer it puts the stabilizer under the bars and you get added bar height built right in and you dont have that big ball catcher hanging on top of the bars. looks real sano. Also GPR is not far from me. When I called to order the parts they actually had a guy drop it off to me on his way home from work. service like that means alot to me. whatever stabilizer you use will be fine. that is just my 2 cents.

• motobark

Posted April 01, 2006 - 09:16 AM

Scotts. Made by Ohlins. Used by tons of Pros. Lasts forever with very little maintainance. (change the oil every 1k miles or so.) More control over settings. (Yes, the high speed can be adjusted if you know what you're doing.) Damping angle adjustment and no damping returning to straight ahead. Resale value. (I just sold my 3 year old Scotts for about 50% of what I paid for it. If it wasn't a Scotts I couldn't have sold it.)

Just get the Scotts. And also get one of these, it may save you from breaking your eye socket bones someday. (How do I know that? :thumbsup: )

Must have item if you own a Scotts Stabilizer.

• stillsun

Posted April 02, 2006 - 05:09 PM

I just recently got done adding a Scotts stabilizer to my bike, and yesterday went on my first real ride with it. All I have to say is, this has been the single best mod I've ever done to a bike. It really allows you to open it up and hit some areas at a much faster rate without fear of taking a nasty fall. We ride in the Arbuckle Mountains down here where there is a lot of loose and large granite everywhere, lets just say that after 7 hours of riding yesterday in it where I'd normally be sore, the only thing that is sore are my thighs...

Just keep an eye out for one on eBay if you're wanting to get a deal, I ended up getting my entire setup for $370 shipped with the upper triple clamp, frame mount, and stabilizer.

-J

• 2fastwhitey

Posted April 03, 2006 - 11:11 AM

Thanks guys. I went out riding yesterday and my arms are killing me. I went with a buddy to a really rocky area with lots of loose stuff. I got bruises on my palms and my forearms are ripped from pushing it so hard. I can hardly believe how much my arms are hurting. I got a quick question though. My buddy has an RTT stabilizer and his top bolt came loose and the stabilizer squeezed some oil out. It pushed out the dust seal and unfortunately we didn't have the right wrench to tighten it down. I was wondering how you change the oil on them? Since I didn't see a bleed nipple or anything that looked like a way to get the oil out or back in, do you have to dismantle the stabilizer and take it apart to lube it?

• probracing1

Posted April 03, 2006 - 01:06 PM

I have both the Scotts and the RTT (2 dif. YZ's) The premise behind the RTT (adjust on the fly) is excellent. The functionality of the RTT is another question...RTT has had some difficulties with the 'main seal'. However, RTT does believe they have finally rectified the problem.
Bleeeding the RTT is rather simple: disconnect one of the hyd. hoses and purge the old oil with the use of a pippette type syringe---this is a very quick and easy process. The RTT, as you can imagine, hold a very small amount of fluid.

The Scott's has the proven name in the industry and the pro riders' backing. It also offers a 'high-speed' dampening ability that the others on the market do not. Similar to what a rear shock with high speed damping does. It does not however have the remote 'adjust on the fly' ability the RTT has. At this point to adjust the Scott's while riding you must remove your hand off the bars and find the adj. knob located on the stabilizer. Having used the RTT for 4 years I have found this to be difficult so far....although I have not yet purchased the larger adjuster knob the reportedly makes this somewhat easier.
From what I have heard, maintenence on the Scott's is not required as often but, is a little more involved than say the RTT.

I hope this helps.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.