how to avoid pickup bed damage

13 replies to this topic
  • MojaveMutt

Posted October 08, 2001 - 07:49 AM

Just got a new truck and i'm wondering if anyone out there has an idea on how to avoid denting or bending the front of the bed from pulling the tiedowns tight. This is a new GMC truck and it seems like the bed at the front is very thin walled and caves in when you crank down on the tiedowns.

• fourstroker

Posted October 08, 2001 - 08:58 AM

Sell the tinty GMC and buy a real truck!!!!

Just kidding!

• Woody426

Posted October 08, 2001 - 09:17 PM

Pingle(yes the petcock guys) makes a removable front wheel chock that mounts to the bed floor. when removed it leaves two small 1/4 inch high brackets in the bed.

Posted October 08, 2001 - 09:53 PM

• Chris_Slade

Posted October 08, 2001 - 10:41 AM

Plastic bedliner perhaps????? Worked for my Toyota Tacoma!! Heck, nothing phased the bed with the Liner in!!
I thought everyone used a bedliner??!!!!

'01 KTM 520 SX
'95 KX 250 FOR SALE!!! -asking $2000 with decent amount of plastics/decals, parts!!
AMA Dist 6 Member
Hare Scramble Class B #523

• Bryce_Senff

Posted October 08, 2001 - 06:54 PM

Hi Glenn,
I took a 2 X 10 and cut it to length so it covers the front of the bed. I also placed
some 2 X 4 pieces vertically so the tire will not move from side to side. A rubber bed mat
for about $40.00 is a good idea too. If you have the money, a spray in bed liner would be nice but I would still use a board in the front for added strength.
It's a shame they don't make the beds as strong as they used too. I almost didn't buy my ford because of it, but all the manufacturers trucks are built single ply strength in the front.
I also screwed in some eye bolts into the board so I could bungee gas tanks, tool box,

Bryce Senff
WMRRA #201
Oh it's Good to Be Back on a Dirtbike!

• CAB

Posted October 09, 2001 - 05:45 AM

I know there is a company that sells bed "stiffners" and I believe I've seen their ads in the back of Dirt Rider magazine. Otherwise, have a metal fabrication shop weld something up that you can bolt into the back of the bed. Then, once that's in, buy the sprayed in bedliner- much nicer than the plastic as things don't slide all over the truck bed.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BlueThunder

Posted October 09, 2001 - 05:51 AM

Bryce.....what kind of Ford did you buy? You can damn near hang my F-350 Crew Cab Powerstroke by the hooks in the bed and see NO flex whatsoever? A Super Duty is the best truck I've owned and believe me....I've owned 'em all Posted Image.

Y2K WR400FM,Answer top tree w/Accu-Trax clamp,Pro-Tapers(CR-Hi w/ EE handguards),Devol Rad. & frame guards, Guts tall soft foam w/ ballistic cover, 14/52 w/DID VM X-Ring, Kouba-T,Michelin M-12's ft.& rr.,12 oz. flywheel weight, Zip-Ty Racing Link & Shark Fin, Cycra front rotor guard and T.M. Designworks Chain guide, buffer & chain wheels. Street legal except for the non-"DOT" tires.

• *mike68*

Posted October 09, 2001 - 06:30 AM

Use 4 tie down straps and you can secure your bike without cranking up against the cab. Hook to each corner of the bed with the bike set up in the middle. It also takes a lot of the load off the suspension vs. cranking the front. Connect the rear on the sub frame, Clucth side, just below side # plate and above the upper chain roller. Rear brake side, just above the foot peg where the muffler mounts to the frame(tight fit). Hook the front up as usual. Keep tightening them a little at a time untill bike is upright and centered in bed. Easiest way, no mods or major investment.

[This message has been edited by *mike68* (edited October 09, 2001).]

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted October 09, 2001 - 06:50 AM

Ditto what Mike68 said except I attach the tie downs to the foot pegs. My only advantage is that I have 5th wheel hitch mounting rails that are positioned perfectly for attaching the tie downs Posted Image

• '00_in_Calgary

Posted October 09, 2001 - 12:55 PM

I have a spray-in bedliner and If I had been thinking I would have had them spray over the 2x10 across the front scenario described by Bryce. That would be make your bed impervious to dirt-bike related damage. I've been hauling dirt and street bikes (and engines and lumber and garbage) around for a bunch of years and the liner still looks as good as new.

• MojaveMutt

Posted October 10, 2001 - 03:38 AM

Thanks for all the input guys!

• Tim_in_WA

Posted October 10, 2001 - 09:32 PM

My buddy uses a piece of (1.5 or 2") angle iron which he mounts horizontally across the front wall of the bed at the same height where the front tire hits. It has curved cutouts to match the outer shape of the front tire. The front tire then rests in the cutouts so it can't move side to side, and the angle iron prevents flexing of the bed wall. It's a slick setup, but the only kicker is you have to drill and mount the angle iron to the bed wall (only a few bolts). He pained the angle iron black to match the bedliner, so you can hardly tell it's there. A very clean setup.

As for me, I have a standard bed GMC and don't like to leave the tailgate down when I haul the bike. I put in diagonally with the front tire behind the driver side. One tie down goes from the left side of the handlebar to a left rear anchor on the bedrail. The right tie down goes from the handlbar to the right front anchor on the bedrail. It doesn't take hardly any tension on the tie downs to secure the bike, and there's practically no compression on the suspension as the tiedown force is side to side. Lastly, I put a block of wood behind the rear tire to prevent any movement to the rear. Works great for me! Good luck...

[This message has been edited by Tim in WA (edited October 10, 2001).]

• Bryce_Senff

Posted October 10, 2001 - 11:34 AM

Hey Blue Thunder,
I have a '98 F-150. I have no complaints about the tie downs, I am just saying that the sheet metal on the newer trucks just isn't what is used to be. Especially the front of the box. Other than that, I am
pleased with my Ford Truck and will purchase
another in the future.
Take Care,

Bryce Senff
WMRRA #201
Oh it's Good to Be Back on a Dirtbike!

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.