Detuning XR218 for durability ? Old School Al ?

4 replies to this topic
  • kelly1

Posted March 28, 2006 - 02:36 PM

After five years of racing my my BBR framed Powroll 220 kitted XR, I've decided that I'm getting tired of rebuilding the transmission every second year, so I'm going to put her out to pasture for the wife and kids to ride. Don't get me wrong I love this little bike and it won me some races in the vet classes against bikes with three times the horsepower, but it has its limitations. What I want to know is the availability of a lower compression piston (66.5mm I think) so it will be easier to start and more reliable. I've had the starting issues and had to replace the starter gears and it also is doesn't like to fire up when it's really hot. I'm thinking that lowering the compression would help these issues the most. If anyone knows if this product is available let me know.

Kelly

• socalxr

Posted March 28, 2006 - 02:59 PM

What does it have now??? The 12:1 piston or the stock compression piston? You can go back to stock piston compression Wiseco piston, two base gaskets, stock cam, sell your stroker crank and get a stock crank. Basically, just put the motor back to stock. I got tired of rebuilding my race 200 motor too. I just sold mine and got a a xr100 again.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • honduki

Posted March 28, 2006 - 07:07 PM

BBR uses a 5 speed ATC 200 motor rather than the 6 speed XR 200 to help with reliabilty

• Old School Al

Posted March 29, 2006 - 09:58 AM

Not sure what you have in it now, but I assume a high comp piston of 12:1 or so and a top end cam...........?

First I'd put in a piston of about 10:1-10.5-1. Powroll has one or maybe a Wiseco, not sure what ratio the Wiseco is.
Next get the Powroll torque cam and to run with the stroked crank that you already have. They compliment each other and deliver lots of nice smooth power on the bottom and mid range. Be sure and run the auto decompressor! Starts and idles just as well as stock. Powroll did their homework on this combo, you don't have to rev like a stocker. Much easier to ride and also easier on the engine. Not a top end mx engine , but for the wife and kids with basic riding skills would be great. Put it together correctly, take care of it and it will be VERY reliable! :thumbsup:

Old School Al

• dr_drz

Posted March 29, 2006 - 10:39 AM

If you go to a smaller carb, that will create more drag on the intake side, thus limiting the quick revving that strains the tranny.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda CRF80F 2013 by Bryan Bosch

Honda CRF80F 2013
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

1985/1984 xr200r compatability by Sebastien

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR/CRF 80-200
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

What Would Be The best dirt bike for a 12 year old? by ramis

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • Hot  48 replies
Forums
Photo

'02 XR200 Adventure/Mountain Bike by mx4god

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR/CRF 80-200
  • Hot  31 replies
Forums
Photo

Building a Dirt Bike by htimsrolyat

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  44 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.