Why do people LOWERED their FULL-SIZE trucks

76 replies to this topic
  • RIPPER_65

Posted March 28, 2006 - 12:05 PM

You see F-350's, Dodge 3500's, Chevy's 3500's Lowered down to the ground..
........why?? :thumbsup: I understand maybe for show, but just to look COOL......... :thumbsup:

• debounce

Posted March 28, 2006 - 12:21 PM

dey lowa dem whips bcuz dey tha realest ma's eva

They think they are cool as hell with their big truck that they can't use.

• munchieu

Posted March 28, 2006 - 12:33 PM

because it SoCal baby. stock sucks. lower it or lift it

• WheelsUp

Posted March 28, 2006 - 12:44 PM

Because they get sick of hearing their ol' lady bitch about getting in and out so they drop it to be like her Civic.

Yo.

Personally... I think it's lame, although I've seen some crew-cab duallies MODERATELY lowered that looked awesome.
Slammed? Lame. Totally destroys the utility and purpose of the truck.

It's also dangerous.... looking through fullsizedchevy.com, it scared the shit out of me some of the questions I saw:

"Will it weaken my frame if I grind the welds on my notch to make it smooth?"
"My Harbor Freight Mig welder did an awesome job on my notch!"

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
These guys are working on the FRAME on a 5,000-8,000 pound truck and doing it with toy tools and without 10% of the knowledge they need to do it safely.

• cantcacheme

Posted March 28, 2006 - 01:04 PM

There is another side to this type of thing that I find interesting. The places I ride and race typically require 4wd to get into if even slightly damp. I've seen a lot of Tahoes, Expeditions, Silverado's and F-150s with 20" to 22" rims and low-pro tires (even though the vehicles are 4wd) stuck horribly trying to get into or out of the pits. Sure is amusing. And, no, I don't have Super Swampers on my truck, just the stock all-terrain tires it came from the factory with, and I don't have any trouble negotiating in or out of these areas.

It is the old form over function debate. When I bought my 2006 King Ranch F-150, 20" rims and lower tires were an option. I even drove one with them, and it handled nice and firm. I opted not to get that one, though, after thinking about having that little of sidewall protecting those fancy rims in even mild off road conditions. Went with stock 18" with 70 series tires.

To each their own!

• Triple B

Posted March 28, 2006 - 02:25 PM

The same reason people raise their trucks just to be different. Why would you want to drive the same thing your neighbor has.
If you don’t care about what you drive you will not understand why somebody would want to personalize their rides.
I personally like having a full size truck sitting on the ground. As long as it can be done safely and maintain the drivability. If you do it right you do not loose the ability to haul a load or tow a trailer.

• WheelsUp

Posted March 28, 2006 - 03:32 PM

I personally like having a full size truck sitting on the ground. As long as it can be done safely and maintain the drivability. If you do it right you do not loose the ability to haul a load or tow a trailer.

Ya, but how's the ride? I did the lowered thing on my '76 Datsun pickup. Not slammed... just de-cranked the torsion rods and put some 1" blocks on the rear.

Girls with big boobs wouldn't ride with me unless I drove my Chevelle.

• munchieu

Posted March 28, 2006 - 03:44 PM

when i slammed my truck the ride was no different.all these trucks that ride like shit is cuz they didnt do it right.

• Triple B

Posted March 28, 2006 - 03:57 PM

Ya, but how's the ride? I did the lowered thing on my '76 Datsun pickup. Not slammed... just de-cranked the torsion rods and put some 1" blocks on the rear.

The ride is nice tight and firm....wait are we talking about boobs or trucks....

Oh yea the truck ride is just fine yea you have to watch out for pot holes and RR tracks but to me it is worth it.

My experience I had better luck getting the chicks with a clean late model lowered full size truck than I ever did in a restored mussel car.

• JSanfilippo

Posted March 28, 2006 - 03:58 PM

No, they wanted to ride in the Chevelle because the Chevelle had a back seat :thumbsup:

Old Datsuns only have room in the bed for one D cup, the other would have to hang off of the tailgate. :thumbsup:

• Chevy_Cowboy

Posted March 28, 2006 - 04:02 PM

psst... Rich I dont think it was the ride quality that kept the chicks out of the Datsun.

They just didnt wanna be seen in a datsun. :thumbsup:

As for why do people lower trucks? Same reason people put 20" lifts on trucks... they suffer from the Lookatme! syndrome.

• SoCalrider21

Posted March 28, 2006 - 04:42 PM

Well I feel that it takes the purpose out of them. I mean a guy I know lowered his truck, but it is cool. I mean he is a real car person and he built it, it is like a 85' Chevy 3500 2x4. And it looks cool, and it is cool. But I would never do that to mine, the most I would do is lift it maybe 3-4".

• bumblebee

Posted March 28, 2006 - 05:42 PM

im not too far either way, i would rather lift a truck due to where i live and the conditions i like to get into but if i had a 2x4 and lived in the city i would consider slamming a truck, maybe not a fullsize........ lift 'em up high cuz fat chix cant climb, but drop em low and chix w/big tits cant escape!!!!!!!!!!!

• debounce

Posted March 28, 2006 - 05:42 PM

The same reason people raise their trucks just to be different. Why would you want to drive the same thing your neighbor has.
If you don’t care about what you drive you will not understand why somebody would want to personalize their rides.

People raise their trucks so they can go offroad. None of the usability is affected. You can still carry loads in the back, and pull trailers. If you lay the frame on the ground, you cant use it as a truck. Put a good size load in the back and the frame will scrape. Try and pull a trailer and the tongue will be way low and the frame will drag. If it's lowered to the point that you can't go over railroad tracks or potholes, it's just not a truck any more. Plus, trucks just look like crap lowered that much. Anything over 2 inches, and it's just not right.

• WheelsUp

Posted March 28, 2006 - 05:52 PM

People raise their trucks so they can go offroad. None of the usability is affected. You can still carry loads in the back, and pull trailers.

Depending on how far you go (to either extreme, up or down).
While a lift doesn't affect your ability to carry a load (though I wouldn't want to load 90# bags of concrete into a truck with a 12" lift), the lift certainly impacts your ability to safely tow.

5th wheels have a limit. You can add a flip kit to the 5'er and get another 6" or so, but then you start to impact stability and safety.
With a conventional trailer, drop hitches severely reduce the safe tongue weight rating. The hitch's tongue weight is based on the ball being right "there" in the end of the receiver. The typical 2" drop hitches don't have much of an effect, but these huge arms that drop the ball a foot or more are not safe when hooked up to a toyhauler which can easily go over 1000 on the tongue.

• SMarquez

Posted March 28, 2006 - 07:04 PM

Duh...I left my truck stock so I wouldn't be like everyone else, lifted or lowered. It's like tattoos and piercing, everybody does it to be different??? Wow, when did I get old.

• SoCalrider21

Posted March 28, 2006 - 08:58 PM

Depending on how far you go (to either extreme, up or down).
While a lift doesn't affect your ability to carry a load (though I wouldn't want to load 90# bags of concrete into a truck with a 12" lift), the lift certainly impacts your ability to safely tow.

Funny thing is that I actually had to unload a truck with maybe a 8" lift on it, unloading sacks of cement. LOL :thumbsup:

• WheelsUp

Posted March 28, 2006 - 09:35 PM

Duh...I left my truck stock so I wouldn't be like everyone else, lifted or lowered. It's like tattoos and piercing, everybody does it to be different??? Wow, when did I get old.

I've got tattoos, my left ear has been pierced since I was 15... but I think it's safe to say that this truck is pretty unique:

Posted Image

• RiverRat

Posted March 28, 2006 - 09:45 PM

T
My experience I had better luck getting the chicks with a clean late model lowered full size truck than I ever did in a restored mussel car.

Yeah, I don't think mussel cars are very appealing to the women.
:thumbsup:

Nice truck wheelsup!

• munchieu

Posted March 28, 2006 - 10:02 PM

People raise their trucks so they can go offroad. None of the usability is affected. You can still carry loads in the back, and pull trailers. If you lay the frame on the ground, you cant use it as a truck. Put a good size load in the back and the frame will scrape. Try and pull a trailer and the tongue will be way low and the frame will drag. If it's lowered to the point that you can't go over railroad tracks or potholes, it's just not a truck any more. Plus, trucks just look like crap lowered that much. Anything over 2 inches, and it's just not right.

thats what air bags are for

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.