Rekluse Report-perch adjuster vs. hand brake

9 replies to this topic
  • black_n_blue_thumper

Posted March 28, 2006 - 10:45 AM

Hey guys, I got a few rides in with my Rekluse now and absolutely love it. Man the bike is soooo much easier to ride and my confidence is way up. Anyway, I bought both the perch adjuster and the left hand rear brake set ups, just to see what I liked the most. For me the hand brake is clearly the better option. I was able to set my clutch just right with the external adjuster on top of the tranny, so the perch adjuster really wasnt needed. Plus, during two rides the perch adjuster was turning itself and thus losing the correct setting. With the exteranl adjuster, its 'set it and forget it'. Pretty sweet. I notice while hillclimbing that when I didnt make a hill, it really sucked bulldogging my bike back down with no way to lock up the rear. So I thought I would try the hand brake since I didnt need the perch adjuster/override anymore. Man, that hand brake is sweet. Plus I can brake slide right hand corners much easier and more confidently now. The 'feel' for the rear brake is much better with the hand brake, at least for me. I just wish I could use my expensive ASV lever instead of the ugly stock looking one that comes with the kit. At first I thought the kit looked pretty cheesey, but upon further inspection it has nice components and install was a snap. I will have a perch adjuster with the special cluch cable for sale if anyone is interested. The hand brake is for me.

• Fastest1

Posted March 28, 2006 - 01:52 PM

I thought it was a great set up also and I aint changing it back ever!

• ncmountainman

Posted March 28, 2006 - 02:23 PM

they sell a thing that lets you use the hand brake with the perch adjuster for $79. :thumbsup:

• beasleys

Posted March 28, 2006 - 04:42 PM

How much did that hand brake kit run you? I have the external adjuster and just like you I never use it. It almost seems harder to set the correct tension up wiht the external adjuster.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted March 28, 2006 - 09:51 PM

The brake kit was around $170.00 thru TT. NC, on that kit you mentioned, do you have your regular clutch lever and a small brake lever or what? Are you sure its only $79.00? Sounds interesting. Although I am in love with the set up I have now. I have about 10 hours of pretty hard hillclimbing and trail riding since my last adjustment and its still perfect.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kbryant3399

Posted March 28, 2006 - 10:37 PM

ok, so having three levers on the left hand seems kinda confusing (brake, clutch and decomp lever) but i guess if you dont have the decomp lever it would be fine. i currently have the rekluse/perch adjuster on my bike, and really, on my next bike i am opting for the NO rekluse. Getting this thing to stay steady on one wheel is kinda rough, and the perch does move when i ride, its not worth 500 bucks to me. but maybe when i get a clutch i will appreciate the rekluse more, just my $.02

• Fastest1

Posted March 29, 2006 - 12:37 AM

Screw the perch. Why do you have a problem on 1 wheel? An auto decomp cam will eliminate 1 lever. The clutch lever replaces the top on the brakes master cylinder.

• ncmountainman

Posted March 29, 2006 - 07:11 AM

The brake kit was around $170.00 thru TT. NC, on that kit you mentioned, do you have your regular clutch lever and a small brake lever or what? Are you sure its only $79.00? Sounds interesting. Although I am in love with the set up I have now. I have about 10 hours of pretty hard hillclimbing and trail riding since my last adjustment and its still perfect.

that little spring down on the motor just doesn't look like it could handle the mud i ride in. i use the override alot,sometimes its hard to spin when you want because the clutch offers such good traction control,also for finding neutral with the bike running and dead start HS its a must have. i've never had my perch adjuster come undone (maybe a little more elbow grease when tightening?) and the perch adjuster allows on the fly adjusting, after couple hrs in the tight technical stuff where it tends to build alot of heat,i've had to adjust the tension on the cable and then after it cools it'll be tight again;and adjust it back. more of a fine tuning thing,i also feel more in touch with the lever. :thumbsup: BnB the thing is $79,maybe less through TT. it replaces the cap on the master cyl and its a smaller lever that works the clutch. i moved my stock hot start to the right side,i explained it in a recent post you were in. :thumbsup:

• DSMotorsport

Posted March 29, 2006 - 07:20 AM

Im thinking of removing my whole ASV clutch lever, rekluse perch adjuster, and rekluse clutch cable too. Been riding MX 4 times with the rekluse clutch and I don't think I have touched the clutch lever more than 3 times. Probobly $150 worth of sellable parts on ebay.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted March 29, 2006 - 11:28 AM

that little spring down on the motor just doesn't look like it could handle the mud i ride in. i use the override alot,sometimes its hard to spin when you want because the clutch offers such good traction control,also for finding neutral with the bike running and dead start HS its a must have. i've never had my perch adjuster come undone (maybe a little more elbow grease when tightening?) and the perch adjuster allows on the fly adjusting, after couple hrs in the tight technical stuff where it tends to build alot of heat,i've had to adjust the tension on the cable and then after it cools it'll be tight again;and adjust it back. more of a fine tuning thing,i also feel more in touch with the lever. BnB the thing is $79,maybe less through TT. it replaces the cap on the master cyl and its a smaller lever that works the clutch. i moved my stock hot start to the right side,i explained it in a recent post you were in.

Thanks NC, good post. Now I understand how it works for you. :thumbsup:

Im thinking of removing my whole ASV clutch lever, rekluse perch adjuster, and rekluse clutch cable too. Been riding MX 4 times with the rekluse clutch and I don't think I have touched the clutch lever more than 3 times. Probobly $150 worth of sellable parts on ebay.

That is exactly my thoughts. I removed all of that stuff and just put on the hand brake. Its awesome. :thumbsup: :confused:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.