http://i63.photobuck...s/drainplug.jpg

http://i63.photobuck...uss/Debris1.jpg

http://i63.photobuck...russ/Gears2.jpg

http://i63.photobuck...russ/Gears1.jpg

Comments?

~ Russ

• grayracer513

Posted March 28, 2006 - 08:34 AM

The small rollers in the first two pictures are from what, the balancer shaft bearing?

• xjruss

Posted March 28, 2006 - 08:40 AM

No, those are teeth broken off from the gears. Sorry the pics aren't better quality... I need to upgrade my digicam.

• MotoGoalie

Posted March 28, 2006 - 08:59 AM

What is the diagnosis? Why did this happen?

Sad. :thumbsup:

• xjruss

Posted March 28, 2006 - 10:19 AM

What is the diagnosis? Why did this happen?

Sad. :thumbsup:

That's what I'm trying to figure out... upon first look, shift forks look ok, but I guess I won't know for sure until I tear it down completely.

• NOMADAK

Posted March 28, 2006 - 10:29 AM

Gnarly!

what year bike is this?

Is it an '06? Is it a newer bike or a well used one?

What type of oil were you using?

What were the circumstances for the destruction? Missed shift at high revs?

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 2fastwhitey

Posted March 28, 2006 - 10:37 AM

Nice looks at the carnage, pretty bad damage. What were you doing when this happened?

• xjruss

Posted March 28, 2006 - 10:49 AM

Bike is an '02 426. Oil is Yamalube 4 20W-40.

All I was doing was riding... was out the weekend before this happened with zero indication of any problem. Then, on this trip, we left on our first ride and it just started clunking after only a few minutes (wasn't riding it hard at all)... it got progressively worse as I made my way back to camp.

• tom nolan

Posted March 28, 2006 - 03:25 PM

I have a 98 yz400. It looked the same as yours does. I lost both 3rd gears, no warning just a noisy rattle than my rear end locked up. I also had parts of the gears hit the crank and the bottom of the piston. Before replacing the gears, I magnafluxed the rest of the gears and found three more cracked at the lower part of the teeth, so you might consider getting them looked at before you re-assemble. NOTE: the new third gear I got from Yamaha that replaced the broken one appeared to be shot peened for strength. I think that they have had some problems with that gear in the past.

• yzf450jack

Posted March 28, 2006 - 05:54 PM

Look at your rod bearings you can't have any of the metal in there ! clean and clean and clean again before you put it back together :thumbsup:

• N_Boyd

Posted March 28, 2006 - 09:29 PM

:thumbsup: that's not good! I feel your pain! :thumbsup:

• xjruss

Posted April 08, 2006 - 01:43 PM

Ok, I finally got off my lazy arse and finished disassembling this thing... I'm about to order parts but I'm not sure if I need to order a new 2nd gear wheel also... There is a small (but noticable) bit of play when the gear is sitting on the axle. How much (if any) play is normal? The teeth look fine, I just don't know if I should be concerned about the movement.

Thanks.

• robg

Posted April 09, 2006 - 04:49 AM

New gears are cheep compared to losing one later, you already have it apart no time like now to do some preventative maintenance. I would even throw a new rod in her I blew mine in the winter and it's just a boat anchor now (see tic tic snap pics in search in wr forum) it's nasty. I feel your pain, you caught it just in time.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.