SoCal Jetting Favor

59 replies to this topic
  • sirhk

Posted October 18, 2001 - 07:12 AM

Ron,
It looks like you were posting at the same time I was editing my last post. I just checked weather.com and it says 87* for sat. just type in Borrego Springs and that should get you the weather info.

As for drive time, I'm not sure. I heard a guy from Corona say it takes about 2 hours to get all the way to Ocotillo from his house. Did that mapquest map I linked a few posts above work. How long would it take you to get to Elsinore or Temecula. From there I think it's only 30 miles to the meeting spot. My pops said he thinks the road (79) from Temecula to the meeting spot is fairly straight with one hill climb. I'll check into it a little more and get back to you. As for meeting time, as early as you guys want. I just need to let my friend know when to be at my house so we can go pick up his bike from his parents house.

------------------
Khris
"What's that?"
"It's a Yellow 99' YZ400!!"

• kirktemp

Posted October 18, 2001 - 07:15 AM

Khris,

Sounds good to me. I am looking forward to doing some open riding rather than at the track and meeting you and Ron. I have read many of your posts over the year and learned alot about bikes from you two and all an TT.
I have my stock WR tank/seat if your buddy wants to use it on saturday. I will be using my IMS YZ tank(3.3 gal) It'll give all of us long range riding!

Hey don't worry about the jetting. If you want we can quickly make the appropriate changes at Ocatillo. Between the three of us it'll be easy. Let me know what you were going to run as far as needle, MAJ and pilot plus fuel screw. How about you Ron? What are you running in your bike? I am interested in seeing how your BK mod runs! Looks pretty good on my screen. I can't wait till Sat!!! Posted Image

• sirhk

Posted October 18, 2001 - 07:16 AM

On mapquest I punched in the distance from Temecula to the intersection to meet at and it said 40 miles, 1hour. I never believe their time though. I would guess 45 minutes max with your truck. From there it's about another 45 minutes to Ocotillo. I'll ask that guy from Corona how he goes, maybe he knows a short cut or something.

------------------
Khris
"What's that?"

• sirhk

Posted October 18, 2001 - 07:23 AM

Kirk, bring the WR tank and seat if you can. We'll talk when we get there and see how far and where we want to go. Then if needed we can toss it on his bike. If we get there early enough I'm picturing doing one long loop of all the main spots with stops at each to screw around. Then maybe back to the trucks for lunch and do a run to Superstition Mtn. which he'll want the tank for. I've done it on the stock YZ tank but had no extra gas to play in the dunes once we got out there and I got back on fumes luckily since my friend on his YZ250 had ran out about 20 minutes from camp. We would have been SOL cause I was going back to get the truck and pick his ass up.

------------------
Khris
"What's that?"

• kirktemp

Posted October 18, 2001 - 07:23 AM

Ron,

I understand about the reality of work. Gotta stay focused on what pays the bills and puts food on the table. As for time of departure? I'm a morning person so I can be at your home anywhere from 5:30 on. I figure about 15-20 min. load time. and approx. an 1hr to 1.25 to meet Khris. These are just guesses in the time. Let me know what works for both of you.

Khris I will bring the tank and seat. The mapquest post did help, but any suggestions on the quickest route from HB would help.

[This message has been edited by kirktemp (edited October 18, 2001).]

• sirhk

Posted October 18, 2001 - 07:29 AM

With your guess times that's about 6:45-7:15 at the meeting spot which is fine with me. Judging from other trips with Ron I'm sure he'll be fine with those times!! We could be pulling into the dirt by 8ish. Maybe done wrenching and on the trail by 9:30ish. Sounds good to me. The first loop I want to do could easily stretch out to a VERY long ride time wise cause there seems to be unlimited hills and valleys to play in and cliffs/jumps to try!!! The run to superstition is pretty much WFO the whole way there so it's nothing much. There's fun road with about 2'-3' rolling mounds aver 1/4 mile or so that are fun in 5th gear. The dunes at Superstition are fun too but we can skip that run if it gets late. I've never taken anyone out to Ocotillo that didn't REALLY want to go back because of the diversity of terrain that it has to offer.

------------------
Khris
"What's that?"

[This message has been edited by sirhk (edited October 18, 2001).]

• Ron_in_SoCal

Posted October 18, 2001 - 07:38 AM

5:30 works for me.

I will be trying the following jetting:

EMN#4
175 MJ Posted Image
48 PJ
100 PAJ (Pilot air screw 1 turn out)

This should work well at 0 - 1000 feet. Time will tell...

------------------
N 33'41.156" W117'59.749"
HelmetCam Videos

• sirhk

Posted October 18, 2001 - 07:41 AM

I talked with the guy I know he lives off the 91 near the exit Weir. He said he goes the same way I was thinking.

On map quest I punched in from Huntington Beach to Warner Springs and it said 115 miles. That's going across on 91 to 15s. to 79s. On mapquest go to driving directions and under

from type in city: Huntington Beach, State: CA

to type in city: warner springs, state: CA

This should be pretty damn close, the intersection for 79 and 2 is just past warner springs, you'd be turning left and there is a power substation just past the intersection in a field if you miss the turn somehow. I'll be driving a lifted red Explorer, you can't miss it.

------------------
Khris
"What's that?"

[This message has been edited by sirhk (edited October 18, 2001).]

• kirktemp

Posted October 18, 2001 - 10:04 AM

Ron and Khris,

I just got off the phone with Sudco, was going to order some extra jetting stuff. They are located here in Commerce, I drive by them to and from work and didn't even know it. I am going to get some items on my way home tomorrow morning. Let me know if you need anything and I'll pick it up.

Ron, I will see you at 5:30 saturday morning. Call me if anything changes.

Khris, the directions you suggested sound like their the best and will see you at warner springs at the intersection you recommended. I am picking Ron up at his house at 5:30. So how long it takes from there will determine what time we meet you.

See ya on saturday! Posted Image

[This message has been edited by kirktemp (edited October 18, 2001).]

• sirhk

Posted October 18, 2001 - 10:10 AM

I have no clue what I need as far as jetting goes, that's kinda what I'm hoping to find out on Sat. As far as meeting, I'll definately see you guys on Sat morning. I should be there around 7ish. Ron knows what my ride looks like and you guys shouldn't have any problems finding it.

------------------
Khris
"What's that?"

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ron_in_SoCal

Posted October 18, 2001 - 10:34 AM

50 replies to this post in this forum. Khris, how many in the YZ forum? Posted Image

Kirk, I was at Sudco on Monday and purchased $50 worth of jets & stuff. I should already have everything we need to get all our bikes running well. Don't you already have a EKP needle?

• sirhk

Posted October 18, 2001 - 10:47 AM

Yeah I noticed that. I wonder where all the cool people are on TT? Posted Image Half of these are talking crap with your Pops!! I'm ready to ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
Khris
"What's that?"

• Tree_hugger

Posted October 18, 2001 - 05:07 PM

CRAP??????????????????

• vanxr

Posted October 18, 2001 - 07:12 PM

There's a D37 event out at Red Mtn this weekend for you boys interested. Should be a blast. All the top riders should be there. Directions you ask...
15N-395N Trona road follow signs put out by D37.

• KAbshear

Posted October 18, 2001 - 07:34 PM

can i go too??? it would be great to ride new stuff and ride with some new people. let me know and i will come on out. how do these directions sound 91-15s-79s-to the 2? also is this a day trip?

• Taffy

Posted October 18, 2001 - 07:49 PM

good old khris!

Originally posted by sirhk:
I have no clue what I need as far as jetting goes, that's kinda what I'm hoping to find out on Sat.

and we're all talking crap hey!

have a nice day ya'ol hear now!

Taffy

[This message has been edited by Taffy (edited October 18, 2001).]

• Ron_in_SoCal

Posted October 19, 2001 - 04:07 AM

Don't ya just love it? Posted Image

Khris, we will definitely get rid of that popping and hopefully find you some more power. I know you have been running with a lean condition & I have the parts to fix you up.

Kabshear, it's a party - the more the better. I'm not sure about your directions but I will looking into it later today. Check back here this evening… I will have my cell phone with me tomorrow (sat) so you can give me a call if you are lost or late. My number is (714) 801-7213.

It's been a long time since I've actually ridden, was that one down and four up?

------------------
N 33'41.156" W117'59.749"
HelmetCam Videos

• sirhk

Posted October 19, 2001 - 04:58 AM

It's looking to be a perfect day, weather.com is forecasting a high of 88* with a 8mph wind. Should be just enough to clear the dust.

Kabshear,
I have no objections to more people that's for sure. Your directions sound right. I'm going to pull into the intersection at 79 and 2 right around 7:00AM tomorrow morning. I'll be in a Red Ford Explorer with a trailer and 2 YZ400s.
I'll have my Cell phone on me also and I think that it actually gets reception out there. Take down these two numbers and if I don't answer the 1st one try the 2nd one.
760-822-7022 personal cell
949-283-7801 work cell
I'll take both with me cause my work one gets better coverage.

TreeHugger,
Posted Image

Taffy,
Taffy your welcome to join the party too!! Hop on a international flight with your bike as a carry on and I'll pick you up at the San Diego airport tonight!!!

You know what's funny, I've rebuilt my old 2 strokes countless times, my old '86 TT350 twice in one month (make sure you put that filter in right after a fresh rebuild!!!), my father's VW engine out of his rail a couple times, and a I6 out of our CJ7. I won't hesitate to do this YZ Engine myself but for some reason I'm paranoid to touch my carb. I envision it NEVER running again. Hopefully all my fears will go away.

Yeah Ron, you got it right but remember the front brake is on the left!!!

------------------
Khris
"What's that?"

[This message has been edited by sirhk (edited October 19, 2001).]

• sirhk

Posted October 19, 2001 - 11:20 AM

I WANT TO GO RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kabshear,
Could you definately either give me or Ron a call so that we know if we need to wait for you. If we don't hear from you and you still want to come follow those directions. Hang a left on highway 2 from 79 (can only turn left) and follow it about 20 miles to the end or a "T" intersection. That's highway 78. Hang a left there. Follow that for I'd guess another 20 miles. When you get out in the open desert you'll pass a dirt runway on your left and a gas station and cafe on your right about 2 miles past the ranger station. About a mile after the gas station you'll have to make a left on Wolf Well Rd. This turns to graded dirt almost instantly. Follow it past two ridge lines and on your right you see a huge row of trees. We'll be parked in there. Look for my lifted Explorer and probably a 2000 ford crewcab F250 Blue lifted with an enclosed trailer.

Anyone else that wants to join us follow these directions to find where we are!!

------------------
Khris
"What's that?"

[This message has been edited by sirhk (edited October 19, 2001).]

• KAbshear

Posted October 19, 2001 - 02:01 PM

sounds good. i will meet you guys at the 79 and the 2 around 7:00. i drive a gray ranger and will be flying solo. can be reached at (310)678-8167 cell #
looks like a ford/yamaha party!
see you guys at 7:00
kevin

[This message has been edited by KAbshear (edited October 19, 2001).]

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.