SoCal Jetting Favor

59 replies to this topic
  • kirktemp

Posted October 11, 2001 - 01:56 PM

Do all you guy live by the computer during the day! I am working at the fire station today and we have been busy from the time I got on duty this morning.

I thought 98/99 wr couldn't do the BK mod. Anything else that can be done that would reap the results of the BK?

James Dean you da jetting master (can't forget Clark either) thanks for the page to print up and have with us.

Khris & Ron:
I am going to be riding on 10/17 at Lake Elsinore, I'll be leaving from work in the morning. Anyone interested is welcome. I drive a white 94 F150 4x4 xtra cab longbed.

Now I am a little confused about the date and where you both want to ride. I presume it is Saturday since you both work M-F. Ron depending on where you live in HB I could come and pick you up and meet Khris.

Yes I do have a larger tank so the long ride is not a problem.

Neddle question? For awhile I kept hearing all about the EKN needle and how great it is and now recently I am reading about the EMN. What is the difference performance wise between the two? How long to get from Sudco.

My info: I ride 60% MX and 40% trails, the only reason I ride so much MX is I can go by myself midweek. I only ride trails with a partner.

Elevation avg: 1000' - 4000' would like to
ride the sierra's and local
local mtns.
99WR
Needle is a DVP
PAJ: 180
MJ: 48
2.25 turns out
YZ timed
De-Octopused
Throttle stop mod
Grey wire mod

So what are some suggestions for jetting?

Khris & Ron you can email me: kirktemp@hotmail.com

• James_Dean

Posted October 11, 2001 - 05:10 PM

The EKN and EMN are nearly identical. The EMN is 1 clip position leaner and made from brass. (EKN#4 = EMN#5, EKN#3 = EMN#4, etc) EMN is from aftermarket (Sudco 1-800-998-3529) and the EKN is from Yamaha. The optional YZ250F needle OBELN is in between these and probably easier to identify at the Yamaha shop. The EKN has a messed up part number in the parts fiche.

If you do the BK mod it reduces the fuel squirt and a richer clip position is called for, ~EMN#5. Try using a #168-#172 main with the E series needles.

The E series needles provide more fuel at 3/8-3/4 throttle, where the stock jetting becomes flat or weak on long climbs. Wheelies come up quicker with the E needles.

The pilot circuit should only need minor adjustment of the pilot screw from where you're at now. A #45 or #48 pilot jet is where most free flowing exhausts seem to respond best.

James

• kirktemp

Posted October 11, 2001 - 06:44 PM

James,

Thanks for the info. I know that jetting has been discussed extensively on TT. You explained it laymens terms great. Sometimes I just can't follow all the techno talk. I printed out the charts on the needles, yet it is kind of like reading greek for me. I was able to decipher what each letter of the needle stands for and how it worked with the different jetting specs, I am just curious how all the variables change the performance of the ride.

Can I get the needles form White Brothers. They are only about 30 minutes away and I can drive over and pick up what I need if they have it in stock, or I can go to Yamaha (the wharehouse HQ in Cypress - 15 min. drive) and pick up the Yamaha brand. which brand would you recommend. I appreciate all the info and advice you've provided myself and all TT's.

• Ron_in_SoCal

Posted October 12, 2001 - 05:33 AM

Thanks James!

------------------
N 33'41.156" W117'59.749"
HelmetCam Videos

• sirhk

Posted October 12, 2001 - 06:21 AM

Kirk,
Unfortunately I can't get out on week days. As for when we're hoping to do this I think there's a chance of it happening next Sat (10/20).

Is that cool with both of you? Is Ocotillo Wells cool with both of you? Do you guys know where it is? If not find a map with the Salton Sea on it. It's about 20 west of the Salton Sea on highway 78. I'm thinking the fastest way for you guys would be to get to Temecula however you would get there fastest (ortega hwy or something) and take 79 from there. 79 will hit a highway S2. I would probably just meet you guys there at a set time. On mapquest type in the city "warner springs" in "Ca" and you'll see the intersection I'm talking about just below the city. If you zoom out one from there you'll see Temecula on the top left and Ocotillo Wells on the bottom right with the intersection I'd like to meet at in the middle. I live in Ramona so you can see why I like Ocotillo so much. It's pretty close at just over an hour drive and I think it offers one of the most diverse riding areas in SoCal. Ron, Kirk, What do you guys think about trying to do this next Sat. If anything we could at least go and ride since it's a new area to both of you, I think!!!!!

------------------
Khris
"What's that?"
"It's a Yellow 99' YZ400!!"

[This message has been edited by sirhk (edited October 12, 2001).]

• kirktemp

Posted October 12, 2001 - 06:38 AM

Khris,

Sounds good to me. Then the 20th it is. Ron I can pick you up and head out to meet Khris. Let me know if this works.

Let's see, the jetting specs I posted were way off. I was going off the top of my head. I had the specs at home. Here they are.

Pilot: 50
Needle: OBDVR
Clip: 4th
Main: 180
Fuel: 2 out
Air: N/A
MAJ: 200
PAJ: 100 (Stock YZF jet)
Spark
Plug: CR9EVX

These specifications came from the Stroker exhaust site for aftermarket pipes. Any suggestions James/Clark.

• sirhk

Posted October 12, 2001 - 07:28 AM

Cool, if Ron agrees then we'll setup more detailed arrangements. I'm going to pull my carb off tomorrow with the book by my side and see what's in it. Ron, expect a phone call if I run into anything wierd. I'm thinking that once I get it apart once it won't be hard to do again so maybe if I can get what I currently have posted and get the needed parts in time I can get it rejetted before the ride. If not Ocotillo is probably a great place to do it since there are picnic tables and everything there to work on.
Damn, now I'm all excited!! This will be my 1st trip to the desert this season and a good prerun for Halloween weekend when all the crazies come out and it gets REALLY crowded!! I'm also looking foward to seeing how my Exploder pulls the bike out since I got it regeared earlier this week.
Khris
Some pics http://www.savoury.n...tillo_wells.htm

These don't really show that much though. I'mlooking for more.
------------------
Khris
"What's that?"

[This message has been edited by sirhk (edited October 12, 2001).]

• James_Dean

Posted October 12, 2001 - 10:06 AM

Kirktemp,

Either needle works the same, brass or hardcoated aluminum. The Hard coated will not wear nearly as much over time if you expect to keep it for more than a few of years.

James

• Ron_in_SoCal

Posted October 12, 2001 - 10:56 AM

Okay guys, I'm in for next Saturday (October 20th). Khris, what is the elevation out there in Ocotillo Wells? I think it is much lower than my usual 5000' + riding elevation. Where's my topo map

Kirk, does the 20th work for you? I'm looking forward to meeting you and riding in Khris's back yard. He has been trying to get me there for some time now. It should be fun.

I'm going on a parts gathering safari tomorrow and hope to get 'ol blue back in prime shape. The old phrase "ridden hard and put away wet" comes to mind. Shame on me.

• sirhk

Posted October 12, 2001 - 11:15 AM

Ron,
It's really low out there. If I remember right Salton Sea is actually below sea level. We're tlking elevations of like 50'-150' depending on what ridge we're on. It's nothing like Johnson Valley. It's A LOT of tight canyons and mud hills/Cliffs. If you've seen many of the Crusty videos I can show you most of the desert areas they ride. This photo is taken from the top of my favorit hill climb. It's not real big but it's REALLY STEEP!!
Posted Image

Ha, a topo map, you're funny Ron!! Well guess what I found a topo just for you. Let me know if the link works. Trust me, you won't need the topo though. http://www.topozone....479&s=50&size=m

------------------
Khris
"What's that?"

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sirhk

Posted October 14, 2001 - 05:21 PM

Okay I might be an idiot. I messed with my carb and I figured out where the pilot screw is and adjusted it. I remembered that unscrewing it richened up the pilot circuit and not to go more then 2.5 turns out. I did this and it's still popping. I pulled the big drain plug thing on the bottom out and the main jet is a 175. Now this is where I feel lame. I couldn't figure out where anything else was. I'm assuming that the other jets I would want are above the bowl. Everyone makes getting at them seem so simple. I didn't pull the bowl off cause it is VERY difficult to get to. Maybe this Sat instead of actually jetting mine you guys can show me just how to get to the damn things. Then we can see what I have in there and determine what I need. Once I figure out how to get to the damn things I won't have any trouble doing it on my own.

Kirk, Ron
You guys still up for Sat? Did that mapquest map make sense? Give me a time and I'll meet you there. I already can't wait!!!!

------------------
Khris
"What's that?"

• kirktemp

Posted October 15, 2001 - 03:35 AM

OK guys, I rejetted my carb yesterday. Piece of cake! I ran down to my local Yammi dealer on Friday to get some different MAJ and an EKP/EKN needle. Of course do you think I really thought they'd have anything in stock. Well to my surprise they actually had the EKP AND the MAJ!!! My jaw hit the floor! Every time I have ever gone in to get something I really need right then and there they always say it'll be 1-2 days. Well crap this time they surprised me. So I was a busy beaver yesterday.

I went with some of JD's suggestions for jetting: Needle: EKP 4th clip
MAJ: 170
Pilot: 45
Fuel: 2 turns
And a brand new shiny plug!

Of course it was 7pm and dark when I finished but I just haaaad to take it for a spin up the street! Well, it is great!!! The power seems to be so much smoother throuthout the entire throttle, and I don't have anymore popping! Can't wait to ride and try some other combinations.

Saturday sounds good to me. Pick a time that works for you guys. Khris, the factory manual will tell you what is the different jet locations and what to take apart to get at them. E-mail me if you need some help.
Hey the pics of Ocatillo are awesome. I have been wanting to try riding out there for some time. It'll be good to have you showing Ron and myself around. I hope the weather cools a little bit for this weekend. I gotta go. Need to be in West Covina PD for a driving simulator training session, We'll be certified to better drive the Fire engine/ambulance, well then why do we take the DMV test? Sorry about that little tirade.

kirktemp@hotmail.com

• sirhk

Posted October 15, 2001 - 05:05 AM

I fell stupid, I wouldn't think twice about rebuilding the motor myself but something about that damn carb is a mystery. I had the manual by my side but some I did not see some of the parts on my carb that the drawings were trying to show.

As for a time, it's up to you and Ron. The earlier the better probably but then again I'll probably be waking up when you guys are leaving. HAHA Ron for once you have the long drive!!

------------------
Khris
"What's that?"

• Tree_hugger

Posted October 15, 2001 - 11:10 AM

Hello Khris
What was that you were saying? I fell stupid. That wouldn't be you falling out of a tree, would it?
Don't be offended, I am just getting even for you calling me a hippy. Ha Ha
Whats that? A yellow screaming hippy? No, it's just a tree hugger.

• sirhk

Posted October 16, 2001 - 11:00 AM

Damn, you got me laughing on that one!!

How's that weather up there? Has it started the 7 months of straight rain yet? Make wure you get lots of leaves to make a canopy over your head for the winter months. Soggy clothes will make you sick!!

------------------
Khris
"What's that?"

• Tree_hugger

Posted October 16, 2001 - 08:25 PM

Hello Khris, yes it is raining, but the woods get better this time of year. No it doesn't rain 7 months out of the year, it's nine months. We play golf in drift boats and the fishing is so good, you have to get behind a tree to bait your hook.
I hope you guys get your tanker trucks jetted properly. And I am glad to see your golf cart on a golf course.
Whats that? A screaming yellow hippy? No, just a tree hugger with a can of pee over his head.

• sirhk

Posted October 17, 2001 - 08:32 AM

Yeah, that's the only time it's ever seen a golf coarse or even grass in general.

I'm getting excited to ride!!!! Have you two made plans to meet up or anything yet. What time do you guys want to meet at that intersection on Sat? There's a HUGE dirt turn out right on the corner that is perfect for meeting. I've actually got 2 friends going out Friday night that we'll probably park with. One has a 2000 YZ250 and the other has a NICE Banshee. I'm not sure if they'll ride with us or not. It depends on how far from the truck we go. Anyways, I'm looking forward to meeting you Kirk and can't wait to get Ron into my terrain!!!
Khris

------------------
Khris
"What's that?"
Posted Image

• kirktemp

Posted October 18, 2001 - 03:49 AM

Ron, we need to discuss a time to meet. I am off Friday so I will be able to prep all my stuff, load and hit the grocery store for anything that we will need for Saturday. email me today and we can figure it out.

I rode yesterday an Elsinore on my rejetting. I am not sure what to think yet.
I do know that the bike is much smoother thoughout the throttle. Have some idling problems, tends to die. Wow it was hot yesterday on the track. 92-95. I hope it is cooler in Ocatillo Wells. Khris, the main track is the most difficult that I have seen there. Lots of woops, all over the place, doubles triples, just amazing. Anyways, some suggestions on what to bring for the ride?

• sirhk

Posted October 18, 2001 - 05:09 AM

I've got another friend that will be coming out with me but he only has a stock YZ400 tank. Kirk, you might as well leave your YZ setup on your bike too. It's amazing how Elsinore can go from a fun amature track to a technical Pro track depending on when you go. The ride I have in mind can easily be turned into 2 rides to go back and get gas/food/drinks. I'm planning on bringing some fruit, sandwhiches, and drinks. I'll probably wear a backpack with water if it's hot but if it's bearable I'll ride without it. Ocotillo isn't like the type of place where you do a 80mile loop. We generally say, "hey lets cruise out to Shell Reef and screw around" or "lets head out to Pumkin Patch" Basically I was going to turn the ride into one large loop showing you guys all the main spots figuring we could stop at each and screw around. There's lots of hill climbs, jumps (beginners-pro size) and sand stuff to play on. I actually was looking at my bike last night and depending on the feeling I may pull the carb out when we get there just to see what's in it or if we decide to just go ride instead of wrenching I'll pull it out at home on Sunday and then ask for advice on what to put back in it. No biggie, I'm actually just getting REAL ANXIOUS to ride!!!!

Kirk,
What's your email, just so I know? It's not posted on your profile. My cell phone number is 760-822-7022 if you need to talk to me, leave a message and I'll call back for sure, I don't carry it on me during the work day though.

BTW
Could you guys let me know when you want to meet at that intersection I suggested or anywhere else ASAP so that I can let my frined know when he needs to be at my house and stuff.

------------------
Khris
"What's that?"
Posted Image

[This message has been edited by sirhk (edited October 18, 2001).]

• Ron_in_SoCal

Posted October 18, 2001 - 07:06 AM

Hi guys. Sorry about the delay. I've been sucked back into reality here at work and have had my head down figuring out complex angle conversions for a program I'm working on.

I think I have my wr jetted correctly again and can't wait to test it under real riding conditions. Saturday is looking good. Hope its not too damn hot.

Kirk, I'm e-mailing you directions to my house. As far as when, it's up to you. I can be ready at any hour.

I am bringing many different jets and plan on setting you guys up. It should not take long to get dialed in so we can ride after we wrench. I still may need to make a few adjustments to my bike as well. Finding the correct jetting can be a pain, but it is definitely worth it!

Khris, how long does it take to get there from my neck-of-the-woods? What time are you planning on being at the hookup spot?

------------------
N 33'41.156" W117'59.749"
HelmetCam Videos

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.