WR to YZ conversion help.

6 replies to this topic
  • treukauf

Posted March 27, 2006 - 09:50 PM

I have 00 WR 400 I bought after I sold my cr 250, and I am starting to get sick of bottoming the suspension every 2 seconds and washing out left and right. I have already re-cam timed and grey wire modded. The bike rips but wont turn.

Where is the best place to look for yz seat tank combos, new rear and front springs. What years of yz tanks seats and springs will fit my bike. If anyone has some parts laying around could they email me at axident_prone2004@hotmail.com.

Also In regards to my front forks. If i want to stiffen things up ( I weigh 185) should I just go stiffer springs with thicker oil, or is it just a matter of shims that seperates the yz forks from the wr forks. thanks

• SJMC_DON

Posted March 27, 2006 - 10:24 PM

Check out Race Tech's on-line spring calculator it will tell you what you have and what you should as far as front and rear spring rate. I went with heavier springs in my 99' and 04' and it made a world of difference but I am 225 lbs. :thumbsup: I actually used a little lighter oil than stock.

What don't you like about the seat and tank? My gripe about the WR seat has always been the sway back pocket up in front of the seat, I wanted a flatter seat like the YZ's for a more aggressive seated position. I put a Guts racing tall seat foam on both my 99' and 04' as well. I race mainly GP's and hare scrambles, I run the YZ rear fender and # plate but I left my coolant overflow on for the pack and carry single track rides :thumbsup:

• vorra65

Posted March 28, 2006 - 04:56 AM

Check out Race Tech's on-line spring calculator it will tell you what you have and what you should as far as front and rear spring rate. I went with heavier springs in my 99' and 04' and it made a world of difference but I am 225 lbs. :thumbsup: I actually used a little lighter oil than stock.

What don't you like about the seat and tank? My gripe about the WR seat has always been the sway back pocket up in front of the seat, I wanted a flatter seat like the YZ's for a more aggressive seated position. I put a Guts racing tall seat foam on both my 99' and 04' as well. I race mainly GP's and hare scrambles, I run the YZ rear fender and # plate but I left my coolant overflow on for the pack and carry single track rides :thumbsup:

Did you yank the battery out on your 04 ? And if not, have you had any over charging issues ?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SJMC_DON

Posted March 28, 2006 - 07:59 AM

Did you yank the battery out on your 04 ? And if not, have you had any over charging issues ?

No and No.......

• treukauf

Posted March 28, 2006 - 01:02 PM

I just want to be able to get farther forward in the turns. When racing my friends its washout heaven.I was just curious where all of you guys who put yz stuff on found your seats and tanks

• fershy

Posted March 28, 2006 - 03:08 PM

The WR's came sprung with a softer spring than that of the YZ. My suspension tuner told me first and foremost replace the springs before fooling with the shim stack. Good suggestion, check race tech's site.
The WR tank is brutal in regards to bike turning geometry. You will be pleased with the difference. You can even use oversize tanks that use the YZ seat and still benefit ergometrically. I have a stock YZ tank and an Acerbis oversize myself. The WR tank is long gone....good ridance!
Keep you eye on Ebay for a tank and seat. Also watch the classifieds here on thumpertalk.
fershy

• RDey

Posted March 28, 2006 - 05:02 PM

I have an 06 wr450f so I hope this is relevent but I just changed the springs front and back and my bike feels like a totally different bike. It felt like a fat lazy cow that sagged under it's own weight. My weight is 180 lbs. and the stock fork springs are .46 and the shock is a 5.3. I went to .47 kayaba fork springs and a kayaba 5.5 shock spring. When I went to Race Tech's spring calculator I disagreed with their calculation. Race Tech claims I am the perfect rider weight for the stock suspension...but...they don't take into account the 25-30lbs of extra bike weight. An 05 YZF450 has the same springs as my 06 WR450F. Take 30lbs off of a YZF and the stock springs feel much stiffer plus the valving is totally different and stiffer as well. I decided to follow the manuel and they say the stiffer springs are for a 176 lb rider. If you do use the RT calculator add 30lbs to your rider weight and see what it says or follow the manuel. I hope this helps.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.