01 yz426 carb thoughts

8 replies to this topic
  • mpl239

Posted March 27, 2006 - 08:47 PM

Slowly trying to set up my 426 for trails, dropped to a 13t front sprocket, keeping the 49 in the rear - a good change. Have not done the math yet, but allows me to go slow enough to plot my path with a pea brain. Also the blue wire mod, it actually starts now.

Only remaining issue is idle speed. I cannot get a constant idle. Have not taken the carb off yet to clean it out, acts like the slide is sticking. Mixture seems good, burning 100LL (100 octane low lead av gas). Any thoughts?

• Raven1911

Posted March 27, 2006 - 09:55 PM

Take it off and clean it thoroughly. I found all kinds of crap in mine. Runs like a champ now! It doesn't take long either. Fairly straight forward.

• mpl239

Posted March 30, 2006 - 08:34 PM

Will do, hopefully this weekend, thanks for the thoughts.

• Raven1911

Posted March 30, 2006 - 09:00 PM

This might help you along the way...

Good article and read your manual too! Get a good carb cleaner as well and remember to blow out the jets too. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Yamahammmer

Posted April 03, 2006 - 09:47 AM

[ Also the blue wire mod, it actually starts now.

I too have an '01 426 and went to a 12 tooth front, it
gave me what I wanted on the trails, but what is the
"blue wire mod"? Also Raven is dead on :thumbsup: with the
carburator, had the same problem, cleaned it out good
and BAM! runs hot and fast :confused: terrific, idles perfect :thumbsup:

• 2fastwhitey

Posted April 04, 2006 - 07:22 PM

Do you have your engine bored if not run pump gas.

• mpl239

Posted April 04, 2006 - 07:37 PM

checkout motoman393.thumpertalk.com

the 01's have a pale blue wire that supplies voltage to the idle switch, which limits idle revs. If this is disconnected more voltqage goes to the CDI = hotter spark = easier starts. If you have issues, let me know and I will get into the details.

Turns out carb was gummed up with air cleaner oil and the pilot jet was semi plugged.

• Goosedog

Posted April 05, 2006 - 03:10 AM

If you're setting up for trails I highly recommend a flywheel weight for the 426. It's the best mod I did, really smooths out the power delivery without sacraficing power at all. It also allows you to chop the thottle in tight trails without stalling. :thumbsup:

• YZRob

Posted April 05, 2006 - 06:00 AM

I setup my 426 with 13/51, and a rekluse Z-start. I ran a real tight hare scramble the other week and was pulling the front wheel up in the open straights in 4 and 5 gear. I since have put a 14 on the front, much better.

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.