wr450 in slippery mud

20 replies to this topic
  • jwcrf05

Posted March 27, 2006 - 07:01 PM

anybody ride their wr450 when the ground is real wet, this thing washes out in the front like crazy. what do you guys do to get it to perform better in the slippery mud?

• new2blu

Posted March 27, 2006 - 08:19 PM

My front end dosen't washout in the mud;but the rear end dances according to how far the throttle is open. :thumbsup: What front tire are you running--if it is stock get rid of it. The stock Dunlop D739's suck! I am running a Dunlop D755 front and a Michelin S-12 rear that works good for me.

• jwcrf05

Posted March 27, 2006 - 08:29 PM

what year is your wr? also did yours do bad in the mud with the stock tire?

• steve lemley

Posted March 27, 2006 - 08:42 PM

Dont want to sound insulting and its not meant that way at all but are you on the gas in the mud. Deaccelerating in mud is like letting off the gas in a jet boat and then turning the wheel. It wont react at all unless you are powering threw it good. My WR washes horribly if im not on it and is great with the Maxxis Desert ITs with the throttle open!!! If you are a very experienced rider then I apologize for the info you already know. Have you had your suspension set up professionally to your body. Mud is probley the place where your bike will let you know it the most if you need a suspension setting changed. Hope it helps.

• jwcrf05

Posted March 27, 2006 - 08:50 PM

its not my bike its a friends. I have a yz and have absolutley no trouble in the mud at all, i just figure my suspension is stiffer,but his bike is horrible, even for a great rider if that front wheel is on the ground it slides like crazy.

• SJMC_DON

Posted March 27, 2006 - 10:36 PM

Plenty of mud in my neck of the woods, nothing but S-12's and throttle :thumbsup:

• Matty05

Posted March 27, 2006 - 10:45 PM

anybody ride their wr450 when the ground is real wet, this thing washes out in the front like crazy. what do you guys do to get it to perform better in the slippery mud?

Lots of slippery boggy mud and clay in my neck of the woods, I got my suspension set up properly, resprung and revalved. This makes an unbelievable difference to the stock crap suspension. The Dunlop 952's just top off the package nicely.

• banffboy

Posted March 28, 2006 - 10:30 AM

Tire selection, Tire pressure, fork rake(has your buddy raised his forks to make it turn sharper), suspension settiing, and last but not least, riding style. All things to consider. Just my.02 worth

• RaphFoFiddy

Posted March 28, 2006 - 01:03 PM

Tire selection, Tire pressure, fork rake(has your buddy raised his forks to make it turn sharper), suspension settiing, and last but not least, riding style. All things to consider. Just my.02 worth

Exactly what he said. I raised my forks about 5mm (second ring) dropped my front psi to 7lbs and it's night and day. I'm still running the crappy OEM front but it's a world of difference since I made those changes.
Dreaming of visiting Banff someday..... :thumbsup:

• new2blu

Posted March 28, 2006 - 05:01 PM

what year is your wr? also did yours do bad in the mud with the stock tire?

2003 and it SUCKED with the stock tires. I think they are only good in the west (desert).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • odonnks

Posted March 28, 2006 - 05:15 PM

I had the same 'washing' problem yesterday in very thick sticky mud. Its a 06 with stock suspension and tires.
I'm planning to make some adjustments this week.

When you guys say to move the fork up, do you mean move the tubes up thru the clamps?

• Matty05

Posted March 29, 2006 - 02:46 AM

When you guys say to move the fork up, do you mean move the tubes up thru the clamps?

Yes, lower the front of the bike. It changes the steering angle, helps to turn faster.

Try it and see if you like it. Dont forget to loosen the front axle nut and bolts.
You don't want fork bind!

• byggd

Posted March 29, 2006 - 05:21 AM

We hit some thick/slippery stuff on Monday and my 02 426 did surprisingly well. I just tried to keep the front end lite and use the front wheel like a ruder. :thumbsup:

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted March 29, 2006 - 07:35 AM

2003 and it SUCKED with the stock tires. I think they are only good in the west (desert).

Not really. Those stock tires are bad everywhere.

• old man dan

Posted March 29, 2006 - 07:56 AM

The stock front didn't bite anywhere. I replaced mine with Millevilles front and rear 2 weeks after I got the bike. Still doesn't turn like a CR but then again it's not supposed to. The bike is super stable at speed and turns pretty well in the single track. You have to get up over the front end and steer with the rear in mud and snow.

• dl19

Posted March 31, 2006 - 10:41 AM

The stock front tires suck!!!! Mine was a Dunlop 739:foul: Use what you want up front, but make it a soft terrain regardless of brand. I run a Dunlop 756 and most of my buds run a Kenda Millville. I run 13-14# with no problem even in rocks of rim dings, but still gives great traction in the soft.

• michmex

Posted March 31, 2006 - 08:35 PM

it dosent matter on the bike it matters and the driver

• WR450F_RDR

Posted March 31, 2006 - 10:31 PM

It rains all the time here, always riding in mud. Cant say enough about Dunlop 756's front and rear. I have tried a lot of different tires and the 756's are the best for the sloppy stuff. IMO

• old man dan

Posted April 01, 2006 - 08:58 AM

It rains all the time here, always riding in mud. Cant say enough about Dunlop 756's front and rear. I have tried a lot of different tires and the 756's are the best for the sloppy stuff. IMO

I'm on Vancouver Island and our weather is pretty much the same as yours. Our problem is the terain changes from mud and roots to shale and rock every thirty feet. How do the 756's hold up on harder surfaces.

• CAVSCOUT96

Posted April 01, 2006 - 09:29 AM

You have to stay on the gas. 4Stks in general tend to tuck the front in corners if you're not on the gas. Of course suspension, tires, and steering geometry all make a difference, but it's also partly the difference between your YZ, and the 4Stk.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.