99 YZF400 Valve Specs

2 replies to this topic
  • hutch501

Posted March 27, 2006 - 12:46 PM

Does anyone know what the proper valve specs should be. We don't have a maintenance manual and need to get the valves adjusted bad. I found a document that explains how to do the basics, but nothing on the specifics. Also, I recently did a valve adjustment on my YZ250F and had to remove the right radiator to get the decom lever out far enough, does anyone know if this is the same for the 400?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DRH

Posted March 27, 2006 - 02:44 PM

Here they are: Valve Clearance COLD (intake) 0.15-0.20 mm or .0059-.0079 inches. (exhaust) 0.25-0.30 mm or .0098-.0118 inches. I have the manuel so let me know if you need other specs.

• DRH

Posted March 27, 2006 - 02:56 PM

Also, you don't have to remove anything other than the tank and side panels to get to the valve cover. From there, you can check to see if your vlaves are within specs. Should you have to replace any of the shims, then yes the decomp lever cable and the timing chain tension cap bolt will have to be removed. Then the Cams and chain. From there I imagine its just like the othe bike you worked on.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.