What Bars dont bend?

24 replies to this topic
  • Blade Man

Posted March 27, 2006 - 04:19 AM

OK. Crashed the bike again on Sunday. Bike is ok except the darn handle bars are bent again. Renthals. Had msr's before but REALLY totaled those the last crash.

What bars will hold up better? I know that I could slow down and be more careful but I prefer to RIDE my bike as long as I'm on it. Seems as though that requires a crash now and then! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :confused:

Anyway if there are any good crashers out there with some handle bar replacement experience I could sure benifit from the knowledge.
This is the third set of bars in 2 months. :bonk:

Thanks

• snaggleXR650

Posted March 27, 2006 - 04:27 AM

Pro Tapers, I think they are nearly unbendable.

• bork

Posted March 27, 2006 - 07:00 AM

Pro Tapers, I think they are nearly unbendable.

Then the triple might go ??? or something else ? :thumbsup:

• slomotobug

Posted March 27, 2006 - 08:46 AM

Pro Tapers, the old school taperwall ones, don't get the new cheap contour bars, they're pretty soft, and if you do crash hard enough to bent the taperwalls, they will bend, not something else, they are not indestrucable, just the best.

• slomotobug

Posted March 27, 2006 - 08:48 AM

OK. Crashed the bike again on Sunday. Bike is ok except the darn handle bars are bent again. Renthals. Had msr's before but REALLY totaled those the last crash.

What bars will hold up better? I know that I could slow down and be more careful but I prefer to RIDE my bike as long as I'm on it. Seems as though that requires a crash now and then! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :confused:

Anyway if there are any good crashers out there with some handle bar replacement experience I could sure benifit from the knowledge.

Thanks

Just come over and buy the ol650R, it already has Protapers and clamps, there problem solved. :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

• XR650L_Dave

Posted March 27, 2006 - 08:51 AM

The only bar that can't be bent is the one on the shelf in the garage...

Dave

• Supplicate

Posted March 27, 2006 - 09:03 AM

Renthals and Pro Tapers are the only two that I haven't ever bent so bad you couldn't ride with them before.

They still bend, just very little compaired to cheaper bars.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted March 27, 2006 - 10:42 AM

Pro taper countours are actually STIFFER than the original and more costly Pro Tapers, they are more resistant to beniding than the standard Pro Tapers but arent as flexible. They are better for those who crash allot or hard because even if the bend bad enough to replace they cost 69 bucks as opposed to over 129.00 for the originals...the difference is the contours are made in some other country with a stiffer aluminum. The beauty of original pro tapers, other then the look, was they were flexible to a point of giving less forearm fatuge.

• slomotobug

Posted March 27, 2006 - 11:24 AM

Pro taper countours are actually STIFFER than the original and more costly Pro Tapers, they are more resistant to beniding than the standard Pro Tapers but arent as flexible. They are better for those who crash allot or hard because even if the bend bad enough to replace they cost 69 bucks as opposed to over 129.00 for the originals...the difference is the contours are made in some other country with a stiffer aluminum. The beauty of original pro tapers, other then the look, was they were flexible to a point of giving less forearm fatuge.

Sorry, I was wrong on the contours being "soft", they are actually stiffer, which would make them more prone to being broken, rather than bent, and last time checked, it's easier to ride home with bent bars than broken bars, and now that the contours are out for $69, you can find the old taperwalls around for between $80-90 everywhere I've looked. I haven't seen a set of bars for over $90 in a long time, to me it's worth every cent of the extra $20 for the taperwalls, especially on a heavy bike. I've only bent one set in my entire life, and that was a collision that left me with broken bones. One set of $90 bars is better than 5 bent/borken sets of $50 bars.

• Thumpmeister

Posted March 27, 2006 - 12:51 PM

I have the Pro-tapers on my bike, and have had really good luck w/ them.

The beauty of the pro-tapers is that they are are able to flex a little bit, but still retain their shape.

Just DON'T get the pro-taper knock-offs, like Fly's, or something like that. I have a buddy w/ a CR250, and his bike washed out on a trail, and his bars actually snapped. Didn't bend or anything, just snapped clear off. He had to ride home 5 miles on a trail one-handed. I was impressed.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TimBrp

Posted March 27, 2006 - 12:59 PM

Try Azonics. Azonics offer an awesome warranty against, you guessed it...BENDING. Their std. 7/8" bar is warrantied for 1 year and the thick bars are warrantied for 5 years. They bend, break whatever send em' back for a new set.

• Blade Man

Posted March 27, 2006 - 03:43 PM

Wow. Thanks everyone.

I wish I could aford to buy those Pro tapers from slomotobug with the bike attached :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :confused:

Mabee next year. In the mean time it sounds like pro tapers or I will look into the ones with the warrenty.

I could really get my moneys worth out of a good warrenty if I dont stop crashing!!!

• wr450fyamaha

Posted March 27, 2006 - 06:37 PM

Ive got Pro Tapers and im pretty sure they are lat least 3 years old......ive laid her down going 35 and the left side dug right in, snapped the acherabis bark buster right the hell off. Bars are still straight as can be. I was shocked at how well they did in that crash and how shitty the bark buster did.

• DSTerry

Posted March 27, 2006 - 07:48 PM

I have quite a bit of motocross racing experience, and one thing I learned, no matter what bar you have it will bend. I have bent, folded, and snapped renthal bars, and bent and folded pro tapers, but never snapped them. I ended up sticking with pro tapers for quite a few years before I quit racing. They seemed to hold up the best. Thats what I am currently running on my XR600.

Just don't ride with stock steel bars. I don't know if bikes even come with them anymore. I used to bend those just by casing a double! Though the nice thing is, you can lay the bike on its side and just bend them back!

• ThunderChicken

Posted March 27, 2006 - 09:53 PM

Sometimes people don't give any oversized bar on the market any credit if it isn't an Answer Pro Taper. It seems to me like this is more of a result of Answer's marketing and less of a fault of the other oversized bars.

Maybe it's because you really have to get the 650R cartwheeling before you have to worry about bending bars (it seems like the radiators take 99% of the punishment in a big crash) but I've had great success with the oversized T2 bars from Tag Metals as far as lifespan is concerned.

I rode with Pro Tapers for a while and found them too flexy for my tastes. I started using the T2 in the "SX High" bend and eventually switched to the "CR Double High" bend and finally found what I think is the best bend for me on the 650.

I know several guys who like the flex they get from their Pro Tapers and even go as far as slicing off the closer lateral rail on the top clamp for their perches to get even more flex.

They ride my bike and feel like the feedback is too ridgid. I'm a little different in that I feel like the 650 is already pretty flexy as it is and sapping a bit of flexy feedback to the rider helps me. But keep in mind that the bars are just the final link in an overall chain of bike setup so in my case my bike rides plusher (precision concepts suspension) compared to some of the other 650 riders I know who had their suspension done by other shops (acme, race tech, etc.) and their bikes seem to ride higher in the stroke and don't blow through the stroke as quickly as mine.

Nonetheless, playing around with bars should be taken into consideration with what you prefer but as far as judging a bar brand purely on lifespan I would argue that most of the major bar compaines are pretty much neck in neck in offering an oversized bar that will resist bending, warping, or outright shattering (I have yet to see that in desert racing).

BTW, Tag also has a rear sprocket for the 650R. I've been using it as well and have been very happy.

• Blade Man

Posted March 28, 2006 - 03:23 AM

I like the idea of a little more flex in the bars as i get wrist and elbow fatiuge after 4-5 hours of hard desert riding and it makes the rest of the day kinda hard when trying to get in those last few miles to get home.

What mount do I need to run pro taprers? I dont find anything accept a universal mount. Is that the one I need? Or is there a specific mount/tripple clamp setup that fits my bike? ( 93 XR600R )

I called a dealer close buy and they couldnt help me as they couldnt find it per application. Thinking the guy that I talked to was not knowing that much about it and wasnt that interested.

• BOLT Performance

Posted March 28, 2006 - 03:33 AM

Thanks

Three times in 2 months is not a crash now and then ! That's just down right accident prone... LOL Have you considered a quad ? :bonk:

• TimBrp

Posted March 28, 2006 - 04:00 AM

Pro tapers are great bars but they do inflict stress on your top tripples and bar mounts. My buddy's CR500 has had the barclamp mount literally pulled out of the tripple after a crash. His bars are bent now but the first year w/out bending relayed stress to other parts. All in all a great bar but I'm set on the Azonics. Who else is going to give you another set of bars if you bend one...nobody.

• Blade Man

Posted March 28, 2006 - 04:09 AM

Pro tapers are great bars but they do inflict stress on your top tripples and bar mounts. My buddy's CR500 has had the barclamp mount literally pulled out of the tripple after a crash. His bars are bent now but the first year w/out bending relayed stress to other parts. All in all a great bar but I'm set on the Azonics. Who else is going to give you another set of bars if you bend one...nobody.

Where is the best place to find these Azonic bars. looked a little last night but no luck. I am interested in that warrenty. Are they bigger bars or still 7/8?

• Blade Man

Posted March 28, 2006 - 04:21 AM

Three times in 2 months is not a crash now and then ! That's just down right accident prone... LOL Have you considered a quad ? :confused:

I said 3 sets of bars in two months. Trust me, we go down more often than that. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I like Quads but not for the type of riding that I do.

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.