99 yz 400 pulled outta storage.......

4 replies to this topic
  • tammie

Posted March 27, 2006 - 04:04 AM

hey yamaha guys I just pulled the 99 yz 400 out of storage of like 6 months yesterday(yes i live in canada and we have like 6 months of winter blaaaaah) so she's been sittin a long time........infact i really never rode her since like june of last summer due to buying a house in july.............however i did start it up every now and then throughout the summer and go up and down the street..........anyways she sat untouched for a good 4-5 months other then to put fuel stabilizer in and put it up on the stand and drain the oil thats all i did.................

so it took me forever to get her fired up.........infact the only way it would fire up would be by pulling the hot start button which ive NEVER touched before ever even when riding...........and it wouldn't keep running without that open and the choke pulled out..............when i was kicking it over and over again and it wasn't starting it would just blow a puff of white smoke everytime i kicked and sound like it wanted to start......finally pulled the hot start after about 50 kicks and she started to run, not very good though.............i went riding around the neighbor hood for a few minutes just up and down the street and if i tried to push the choke and hot start back in it would die............

my question is im guessing i should pull the carb out and drain it and clean it??? blow air through it im assuming this problem is a gummed up carb? is that what this prob sounds like? ive really never had a single prob with this bike luckily and ive owned it for 3 seasons.........never had this much trouble with it come spring.......then again 1st winter it sat in heated garage, second winter i ripped it down to nothing and it was in my basement but this winter it was in an unheated garage..........maybe there is condensation in the gas?? however i put fuel stabilizer in it.............

anyways just asking for suggestion on what i should do first to really tune her up............should i change the plug it was new last year and only used it 4-5 rides.............

also my other question is i hadn't ridden my bike in so long i couldn't remember which way the idle screw turns to turn UP the idle is it counter clockwise to turn up the idle?? or clockwise...??

i feel so out of tune with her :thumbsup:

sorry one more question.......its about the clutch which was put in new before last season so only been on the bike for a seasons worth of riding.......
anyways i noticed that when in gear and i pull the clutch in the bike has alot of drag it seems? when its in neutral its fine but for instance i had it in second gear and pulled the clutch in to walk the bike but its seemed like friction wasnt' allow it to be rolled very easy........what could cause that?

thanx guys

• jbrooks26

Posted March 27, 2006 - 04:42 AM

A good cleaning on the carb should fix your starting problems, sounds like you probably have a few clogged jets. Tear down the carb and clean with carb cleaner and compressed air. Make sure you can blow through all of the jets and your starting problems should be gone. The Idle screw is turned clockwise to turn the idle up. I think the dragging clutch as you call it is normal. All of my bikes have been harder to push when in gear and clutch pulled. As long as you can put it in gear and it doesn't try to pull away with the clutch pulled I think you are good. Hope this helps.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • OreoMan

Posted March 27, 2006 - 10:20 AM

Before you break down the carb, I would change the plug out! Mine did this last season and I put in a new plug. No problems since!!!

• DRH

Posted March 27, 2006 - 03:06 PM

I agree with the other posts above. Clean the carb it couldn't hurt, gas does have a shelf life and can gum up small jets. As far as the clutch thing goes, what you described is typical of a wet clutch system. However, if other symptoms of clutch issues arise, you might want to make sure that the plates which were replaced were installed in their proper order. There are two different plates in your assembly and they have to be replaced in a certain order...

• tammie

Posted April 01, 2006 - 09:01 AM

thanx guys....yes the plates were installed correctly i have no other clutch problems...guess thats normal and i just never really noticed before.........

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  131 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.