Picture: The Ultimate trail tool kit.

64 replies to this topic
  • canyonclimb

Posted November 04, 2007 - 07:11 AM

I got the best Trail kit out of any of you. I let my Brother Bring his backpack with everything in the garage packed inside. Means I don't have to pack a thing..hehe I gotta start building up my own anyway. Great thread to build my kit off of.
Canyon

• madmikehusky310

Posted November 04, 2007 - 09:21 AM

Nice tool kit!

And great info from everyone. FYI on the tube, kenda and msr both make heavy duty tubes (big difference in thickness, small price) and if $ is no issue, go with bib mousse and say bye to flats, but $150 just for front eliminates me! That's what "juha the destroyer" uses. Also regarding the pump, genuine innovations inc makes a small pump for around $25 that does co2 and will hand inflate, very cool...

Mike

• johnnyjeep

Posted November 04, 2007 - 01:22 PM

I like these kind of threads. I like to go out all prepared, but I think the thing that has helped me a lot is when I do the small repair at home (changing tires, plugs... just about anything short of engine teardown), I use the tools I would have out on the trail. This makes sure the tools are up to snuff, and gives me practice using the short, little, lightweight tools.

Back on track with the thread, I carry my bead buddy with me for getting the tires back on the rim.

John in Vegas

• Kahuku Spoiled

Posted November 04, 2007 - 09:31 PM

Now Charles, thats a kit!!!!!
You forgot the oxy-acetylene torch kit and braizing rods!

And he forgot the grill!

• CORider63

Posted November 05, 2007 - 09:06 AM

I also carry a folding pruning saw. They are fairly light and don't take much space in your backpack.

We were on a relatively long loop in the mountains early in the year and had the trail blocked by a large, downed tree. There was no way around, under or over it, and we didn't have enough fuel to back-track.

You'd be amazed how quickly those little saws can go through a tree, when needed.

• Yamahazuki

Posted November 05, 2007 - 06:25 PM

Seems like a great pack. Why not take a small patch kit instead of the extra tube?

• BEAN329

Posted November 05, 2007 - 07:16 PM

Where's the beer??

• bcs

Posted November 06, 2007 - 06:31 AM

Seems like a great pack. Why not take a small patch kit instead of the extra tube?

On a recent dual sport ride, I picked up a drywall screw in the rear tire, where the trail passed a construction site. The resulting rip in the tube was waaay beyond anything I could patch. Good thing I had a front tube in one of those front fender packs.

• mvryder

Posted November 06, 2007 - 04:48 PM

Where did you get that universal cable kit??? That seems like a great idea!

• Murray Dorward

Posted November 07, 2007 - 10:28 AM

Get your self some Bib Mousse and you wont have to carry half of the crap you have in your tool bag i.e pump, tyre levers, spare tubes, patching kit, c02 canisters.

Cheers

Muz
:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • commando

Posted November 15, 2007 - 08:18 PM

I got the best Trail kit out of any of you. I let my Brother Bring his backpack with everything in the garage packed inside. Means I don't have to pack a thing..hehe I gotta start building up my own anyway. Great thread to build my kit off of.
Canyon

Ah-ha... now I see your little ploy little bro... maybe I will just leave you if you break down. :thumbsup:

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted November 15, 2007 - 09:15 PM

Get your self some Bib Mousse and you wont have to carry half of the crap you have in your tool bag i.e pump, tyre levers, spare tubes, patching kit, c02 canisters.

Cheers

Muz
:thumbsup: :busted: :ride:

BibMousse is too expensive! Tubes are cheap, unless i was racing gncc... then i would consider mousse.

• weathergeek

Posted November 15, 2007 - 09:42 PM

BibMousse is too expensive! Tubes are cheap, unless i was racing gncc... then i would consider mousse.

Would somebody please explain what bib mousse is and how it works?:ride: :thumbsup:

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted November 16, 2007 - 06:48 PM

I think this webpage sums it up:
http://www.motorace....egory_Code=MTBM

Even lists the price too.

What i'd like to know is why does synthetic rubber cost so much, and why does it only last 6 months?]

edit:sorry for jackin', this thread is truly great. its gettimg me motivated to build a pack.

• mxer1965

Posted November 16, 2007 - 10:09 PM

Where's the beer??

I agree Bean. WHERE IS THE BEER?

• weathergeek

Posted November 17, 2007 - 05:27 AM

I think this webpage sums it up:
http://www.motorace....egory_Code=MTBM

Even lists the price too.

What i'd like to know is why does synthetic rubber cost so much, and why does it only last 6 months?]

edit:sorry for jackin', this thread is truly great. its gettimg me motivated to build a pack.

This is definitely gas worthy. Thanks!

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted November 17, 2007 - 09:50 PM

Back to the pack topic:
I rode with a guy today, we stopped at SlashX cafe. He had a moose fanny pack, so i asked if he would show me his tool set. He had some kickass aluminum tire levers/axle nut combo. Anyone use these?

Later, after we got back to the staging area, he left the zipper open where he kept his car keys. They are gone in the mohave desert somewhere. He never showed me this zipper pouch, it didnt contain tools. He got money out at the bar, bought a bottled water. Then never zipped up. I'm still going to get a pack, but i was thinking front fender mount. Anyone do this?

• H2OENG

Posted December 07, 2007 - 09:44 PM

Great thread!
I've seen lots of people lose stuff from zippers vibrating undone. I use little carabiners on all my zippers to lock them shut.
Oh, and I leave my keys hidden at the truck, and tell the copilots where they are in case of emergency.

• dirtrider115

Posted December 07, 2007 - 10:11 PM

Broke down and spent the night once,all i had was a large roll of ductape,I made a mummy bag out of it and stayed warm all night.The next morning getting out of it was a little different story.Just kidding this is a great thread keep it going.

• PenGun

Posted December 08, 2007 - 03:48 PM

You should be using rain X and the rain X antifog. They will not fog up at all, and you can see very clearly when it is pissing down.

Trust me on this, and put it on your cars windscreen too and be amazed! I don't have to use my wipers in the rain. It just runs off straight away. Very amazing stuff! It rains all the time here, being at the top of the NT in arnhemland, it is very tropical!!!! Always 80 - 100+% humidity all year round.

Tobacco has a very similar effect. When I was a trucker, I smoked back then, and any time the wipers went away just rubbing tobacco on the windscreen made the water sheet completely.It's easy to see through. and lasts quite a while.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.