Picture: The Ultimate trail tool kit.

64 replies to this topic
  • simon@vic

Posted March 26, 2006 - 09:17 PM

Here is what i carry when I'm out in the mountains or doing a long range ride.

can fix almost anything with this:

-Red neck wrench for 13mm-27mm. {also works as a pry bar and hammer}
-short "good" tire irons 2x
-21x 3" tube {fits any 17", 18", 19", or 21" tire}
-mt bike pump
-valve core tool
-8, 10, 12mm stubby ratcheting wrenches
-small flat blade
-small needle nose pliers
-"outback "R" M14 multi tool. 3,4,5,6mm Allen/ 8,10,12mm sockets/ flat blade/ #2 Phillips. {Cruze tools}
-tow strap {101 uses}
-tube patch kit {in pill bottle to protect rubber cement}
-JB weld {in duct tape armor}
-universal replacement clutch and throttle cables {will fit any bike}
-small MEC Kevlar bag.
-lots of zip ties *not in picture*
-low pressure tire gage *not in picture*

i obviously also carry water, food, clothing, etc. above is just my tools.

Posted Image

Here is a close up of the cable ends.
Posted Image

• Matty05

Posted March 26, 2006 - 10:58 PM

Don't you take any zip ties or tie wire? They fix anything!

I wouldn't bother with the spare tube.

• tiny30

Posted March 27, 2006 - 12:40 AM

I use a co2 tire inflator instead of the tire pump, they are much smaller.

• simon@vic

Posted March 27, 2006 - 08:06 AM

Don't you take any zip ties or tie wire? They fix anything!
I wouldn't bother with the spare tube.

the zip ties are on a bundle strapped top the front brake line. easy access.

the tube is worth the weight!!!!! where we ride you need to carry a tube. riding back to the road for km's on end with a flat tire will destroy your tire and rim. lots of rocks around here! they are th reason we get flats and the reason we cant ride home on the flat.

I use a co2 tire inflator instead of the tire pump, they are much smaller.

its not about size, its about weight. also once you run out of co2 your kinda f-cked. the pump in the picture has been on my back and in use for the last 2 years. after buying it, it is free to operate. :thumbsup:

• GCannon

Posted March 27, 2006 - 09:01 AM

How do you fix a chain problem? Which is better for fixing a broken case (oil leak) the two part putty or JB weld do they have quick dry JB weld I have never used the two part putty does it stick to an oilly case or is the JB weld better ( do you wait a long time for it to dry?)

• simon@vic

Posted March 27, 2006 - 09:21 AM

if a chain brakes it is because it is way too old or was WAY too tight. so when that happens i pull out the tow strap. if it gets knocked off because it is too loose you just take the RR axle out, slide the chain on, and properly adjust it.

jb weld will work on an oily case if you clean it up as best as you can with your shirt and some fuel. takes a bit of time to set up and should not be a long term fix. but it is way better then pushing your bike home.

• bcs

Posted March 27, 2006 - 01:53 PM

jb weld will work on an oily case if you clean it up as best as you can with your shirt and some fuel.

Threads like this are great, I always learn another trick or tip. I had totally overlooked using fuel to clean a busted case, etc. before you jb weld it.

I carry a shop rag--also good to separate tools so they don't rattle around in the bag--so I don't have to use my shirt. :thumbsup:

• snakesausage

Posted March 27, 2006 - 04:43 PM

You have a great pack. I would replace the needle nose pliers with the Leatherman Wave (or similar) multi tool.

• crooks420

Posted March 27, 2006 - 05:53 PM

Seems like a good topic here...... I am now reconsidering what I will carry. I usually just leave the tools at the truck..... but now I think i should carry atleast the JBweld, zip-ties, the strap and maybe the pump ( I have done the pump-n-ride- half a mile at a time). i figure that one of my riding buddies could always go fetch needed tools from the truck.

Jesse

• Rooster426

Posted March 27, 2006 - 07:16 PM

Great thread, when I see your pack I see I am on the right track, we have virtually identical items! I carry my goods in my moose bag, attached to my rear fender. I also use the manual pump instead of C02, obviously because I never have to worry about it running out! But little things like using fuel to clean the crank case, what a no brainer and it never crossed my mind...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TARFELE

Posted March 27, 2006 - 08:17 PM

Moose makes a great two part putty that will save you.

I used it in Copper Canyon/Mexico when I stopped on the side of a mountain road and put my foot down in loose gravel. The bike fell on the left side and the shifter cracked the case pretty bad. Oil was leaking so we layed her over. My buddy who had the stuff told me NOT to clean it because it actually helps it adhere better. I applied it waitied about 5 minutes and made it to the bottom of the canyon. A year later I sold the bike with the putty still on the side case. The new owner still has it on there because it actually makes the side case unbreakable.

The stuff is awsome

• simon@vic

Posted March 27, 2006 - 09:18 PM

You have a great pack. I would replace the needle nose pliers with the Leatherman Wave (or similar) multi tool.

good idea. but that would cost $$. the small needle nose i got for free.

• Matty05

Posted March 27, 2006 - 10:56 PM

the zip ties are on a bundle strapped top the front brake line. easy access.

the tube is worth the weight!!!!! where we ride you need to carry a tube. riding back to the road for km's on end with a flat tire will destroy your tire and rim. lots of rocks around here! they are th reason we get flats and the reason we cant ride home on the flat.

The tube is not necessary as you carry a repair kit. I don't even carry that, just put some tyre snot in some ultra heavy duty tubes. Never had a flat tyre. If you explode a tube, you can pack it with grass. I have seen it done before and it does work.

Soap is the trick with engine cracked cases, It will last a few hours. You can even use it to wash your face if you want.

Wire can and will fix a snapped chain.

No need to load up like a pack mule. The leatherman is always in my camelbak too.

• jevc

Posted March 28, 2006 - 07:39 AM

dont forget a small assortment of the common nuts and bolts

• bluebike1999

Posted March 28, 2006 - 02:31 PM

Simon, top topic,
shows that riding a WR is not all about the bike.
I use a co2 / hand pump, best of both worlds.

complete tube is handy as no waiting for finding holes or pinches in tube, just swap it over. a guy had hisspare tubes taped over his front guard on last ride.
A guy got a flat on our last ride, a couple of us had co2 which was lucky as we used 2 1/2 bottles inflating the rear tyre, but it took 18 minutes to swap tubes and we were back riding.

I had a cold one ride so i packed a heap of tissues. then we went through this almost tropical forest and all our goggles fogged and we all ended up using all the tissues to clean goggles, and i had to do the bushmans blow for the rest of the day. keep a bunch in a zip lock bag.
hey Simon, you should get people to post a pic of their bumbags and whats in it and why... helpful stuff.

zip ties are a must, little and big ones.
a carefully prepared bumbag is invaluable on a good ride.
Bumbag/ camel back (hydrapak) vital equipment.

• mjslim

Posted March 28, 2006 - 09:46 PM

Soap is the trick with engine cracked cases, It will last a few hours.

Matty 05, please elaborate. Do you just rub some bar soap over the crack? Never heard of this trick before...........

• Matty05

Posted March 29, 2006 - 02:33 AM

Matty 05, please elaborate. Do you just rub some bar soap over the crack? Never heard of this trick before...........

That's exactly what you do. It will last a good hour or two. It doesn't melt.
It will not glue anything together, but if you hole your case, good luck finding the piece!

Another good trick is cracked pepper for radiator leaks. The pepper will get caught in the crack and swell up and block it. Plus you can use it to season your road kill!

• Matty05

Posted March 29, 2006 - 02:40 AM

I had a cold one ride so i packed a heap of tissues. then we went through this almost tropical forest and all our goggles fogged and we all ended up using all the tissues to clean goggles, and i had to do the bushmans blow for the rest of the day. keep a bunch in a zip lock bag.

You should be using rain X and the rain X antifog. They will not fog up at all, and you can see very clearly when it is pissing down.

Trust me on this, and put it on your cars windscreen too and be amazed! I don't have to use my wipers in the rain. It just runs off straight away. Very amazing stuff! It rains all the time here, being at the top of the NT in arnhemland, it is very tropical!!!! Always 80 - 100+% humidity all year round.

• TARFELE

Posted March 29, 2006 - 05:06 AM

Matty I have heard the pepper trick before but never had the opp. to try it yet.

• bluebike1999

Posted March 29, 2006 - 01:49 PM

i was wondering about the soap..... i hear they dont use it for much else up your way......
yeah matty we did discuss anti fog after the ride, just none of us had needed that at that stage. must get some. we are heading back to the mine ride next weekend, so i'll get some before i go ask my old mate whether we can ride on the road next to his property so he doesnt arm himself again.
i can vouch for the pepper, i used it for about two years in an old car i had.
top thread.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.