Front fork sag

10 replies to this topic
  • Hockey66

Posted March 26, 2006 - 08:29 PM

I know this may seem like a stupid question to most of you, but I'm new to this stuff. My 06 450 is getting the squirrly front end feel that most of you are describing. Most here say to slide the forks up to the first line and set the sag to 98 mm. I have no clue what the sag is, or how to set it. Could someone please explain it to me?

• FlynRyn

Posted March 26, 2006 - 08:44 PM

There is a line on your front forks about 5 mm down from the cap. Loosen the fork pinch bolts one fork at a time and slide the fork up until the line is flush with the triple clamp. The sag mentioned is for the rear. Put your bike on a stand (rear wheel suspended) and measure from a point on the rear axle to a point on your fender or number plate. Sit on your bike as you would ride it in full gear and measure at the same 2 points(takes a helper to measure). The difference between the 2 numbers should be 98mm. Oh and if you ride in sand or soft terrain get a D756 front.

• Hockey66

Posted March 26, 2006 - 09:11 PM

Thanks a lot :thumbsup:

Would I adjust the sag with the screw thing on the top of the spring (I think it's called the spring preload adjustment in the manual), or the rebound damping force adjustment

• tobychi

Posted March 26, 2006 - 09:48 PM

unlock the top ring with a long screwdriver and a mallet. I used to hammer the lower ring the same way to adjust it, slow and paintful... no more! Learned a new trick recently... just trun the spring itself to make the adjustment

• djo269

Posted March 26, 2006 - 11:22 PM

Learned a new trick recently... just turn the spring itself to make the adjustment

How would you be able to turn it? Using what?
thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hockey66

Posted March 27, 2006 - 07:23 AM

unlock the top ring with a long screwdriver and a mallet. I used to hammer the lower ring the same way to adjust it, slow and paintful... no more! Learned a new trick recently... just trun the spring itself to make the adjustment

Thanks, so raising the spring = less sag and lowering it = more sag? or vice versa?

• tobychi

Posted March 27, 2006 - 09:49 AM

hi djo269, I didn't believe it when my friend told me just to turn it with my hands, but it really worked.

hockey66 as to how to set sag, I believe I had seen threads here on this site, just do a search (or on Google) you should be able to find help here, or goto race-tech.com I think they have articles on this topic with pictures to illustrate. Good luck.

• 450_rider

Posted March 27, 2006 - 01:08 PM

The new issue of transworld has an article on how to set your sag.

• Hockey66

Posted March 27, 2006 - 02:54 PM

Well, I just went and checked my bike and to my surprise the forks were all ready raised to the first line. I checked the sag and its around 94 - 96 mm. Is that good enough or should I adjust it?

• MotoRick

Posted March 27, 2006 - 03:09 PM

Thanks, so raising the spring = less sag and lowering it = more sag? or vice versa?

Vice versa. Lowering the spring collar puts more preload on the spring thereby stiffening it. This will reduce sag. Raising the spring collar reduces shock preload and increases sag.

• matt116

Posted March 27, 2006 - 04:04 PM

Well, I just went and checked my bike and to my surprise the forks were all ready raised to the first line. I checked the sag and its around 94 - 96 mm. Is that good enough or should I adjust it?

You should set it as close to 98 as you can. To much sag and the bike will slide out coming out of corner's. If you like to steer with the throttle you may like allot of sag hence the R.C. Honda setup when he was on the 2-stroke. Too little sag will cause the front end to knife in turns. Then use the high speed to adjust the feel (ride height) when powering down a straight.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.