200? CRF600X (or Brand New XR650R)?????

57 replies to this topic
  • ewbish

Posted April 04, 2006 - 11:53 AM

Real men want this:

Posted Image

Heheheeh. ATK Intimidator. 700cc 2-stroke. Rip your friggin' arms off. I believe the powerplant for this one came from Maico.

Eric

• Thumpmeister

Posted April 04, 2006 - 01:53 PM

What is that? Photoshop? Foreign market bike?

Posted Image

Thats one sweet looking bike. Is that an FCR stuck in there? Just imagine the potential of that thing if someone had some $$$ to do something like that.

I think White Bros should do something like that... :thumbsup:

• huntmaster

Posted April 05, 2006 - 11:39 AM

Where'd the motard come from??

From France...although the concept can be traced back to ABC's "Superbikers" in the early 1980's! :thumbsup:

• uncleroby

Posted April 06, 2006 - 12:53 AM

In Italy people think XR650R has been developed for the american market and american people asked for a "traditional" bike, too similar to the old XR600R while it should have been a modern bike with a different layout (as a CR for ex.) and better suspensions.

That's why it is not popular in Europe (or in Italy at least): to get a modern bike we shoul modify the layout, suspensions, brakes...spending a lot of money.

In Italy the enduro costs 8000 euros, a bunch of money that someone may spend in order to have a final bike not a starting point for many needed modifications.

Uncleroby

• Fetona

Posted April 06, 2006 - 05:39 PM

So what is the most popular dirt bike in Italy?

In Italy people think XR650R has been developed for the american market and american people asked for a "traditional" bike, too similar to the old XR600R while it should have been a modern bike with a different layout (as a CR for ex.) and better suspensions.

That's why it is not popular in Europe (or in Italy at least): to get a modern bike we shoul modify the layout, suspensions, brakes...spending a lot of money.

In Italy the enduro costs 8000 euros, a bunch of money that someone may spend in order to have a final bike not a starting point for many needed modifications.

Uncleroby

• mikekay

Posted April 06, 2006 - 11:40 PM

I think the hottest selling dirt bike in Italy isnt the Bulldog.!

Click on the image just to see where that project has been going....

It demonstrates that there are many ways to skin a cat. (thats a fully dual sported diesel motorcycle-and liability isnt an issue for them!)

IN the case of Honda--did you know they have a fuel injected quad with the XR650 motor down at your local dealer.

Obviously the bike must be electric start--and I agree with Qadson--it will be fuel injected. I also agree it will have 550-580cc and it will be dual sported-meaning street legal in the USA. The fuel injection will be the big deal--the mags will hype it big time. Emissions is a big deal all over the planet. The BMW 650 has had fuel injection for 6 years...

Just think Husky TE 510 or the KTM 525--street legal with an aluminum frame and efi. :thumbsup: Late spring '07. $7950

Motard version for europe. Taller gearing on the Oz model. In '09 they come out with black rims...

:thumbsup:

• uncleroby

Posted April 07, 2006 - 04:04 AM

I reckon the most popular are KTM EXC, then Honda CRF by HMmoto, Yamaha WRF, Husqvarna TE.

Our off road is made of tight, mountains trails where with the BRP you can have hard times: too heavy and powerful and too a big piston.

DRZ400E is becoming very popular as you can use it as a commuter and as real enduro bike, plus people is getting tired of the 4 stroke racers' maintainance: change pistons and such is pretty expensive up here.

I use my XR for everything except hard enduro and I really appreciate its robust engine, I made 40.000 kilometers and everything is perfect!

Husqvarna are produced here in Lombardia (a region of North Italy), they are nice bikes but the quality of them is not at jap or Ktm standards.

Uncleroby

• Jayzonk

Posted April 07, 2006 - 06:21 AM

It demonstrates that there are many ways to skin a cat. (thats a fully dual sported diesel motorcycle-and liability isnt an issue for them!)

IN the case of Honda--did you know they have a fuel injected quad with the XR650 motor down at your local dealer.

Obviously the bike must be electric start--and I agree with Qadson--it will be fuel injected. I also agree it will have 550-580cc and it will be dual sported-meaning street legal in the USA. The fuel injection will be the big deal--the mags will hype it big time. Emissions is a big deal all over the planet. The BMW 650 has had fuel injection for 6 years...

Just think Husky TE 510 or the KTM 525--street legal with an aluminum frame and efi. :thumbsup: Late spring '07. $7950

Motard version for europe. Taller gearing on the Oz model. In '09 they come out with black rims...

Why would Italians like the Bulldog?
It almost looks like a Kawaskaki KLR650. In fact, I bet that company modelled its bikes after the KLR b/c the army has a ton of them. I wonder if these bikes are just retro-fits.

• huntmaster

Posted April 07, 2006 - 06:39 AM

Our off road is made of tight, mountains trails where with the BRP you can have hard times: too heavy and powerful and too a big piston.

A 600 no longer has to weigh 300 lbs. We've seen evidence of this in recent years...as well as evidence of what happens when you try and make 50 hp from too small a piston! There's no replacement for displacement when it comes to power and reliability and being a true open bike, Honda will be free from working from any fragile 450 MX-based design. I hope Honda shoots for the 600 cc mark...there's plenty of other smaller bore bikes out there including their own 450X.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • uncleroby

Posted April 07, 2006 - 08:01 AM

Italians like sport bikes, usually, they prefer a KTM LC4 660/625 SMC than a XR because they are reliable, powerful but with a more "racing look" and better suspensions, brakes and such.

We really do not like XR650L: it is not aggressive enough.

Personally I don't go crazy for Honda's bike but XRs and CRs, the other are good bike but they lack of "personality".

Of course they are the best for quality and technology.

Uncleroby

• HawkGT

Posted April 07, 2006 - 09:31 AM

I thought Italians just rode scooters--by the millions. :thumbsup:

• huntmaster

Posted April 07, 2006 - 12:20 PM

Personally I don't go crazy for Honda's bike but XRs and CRs, the other are good bike but they lack of "personality".

Old British and Italian bikes have plenty of "personality"...but you have to be a mechanic to own one! Out in the bush 30 miles from the truck I'll take reliability any time!

• gonridn

Posted April 07, 2006 - 05:12 PM

[quote name='mikekay

QUOTE']

while Honda does indeed have a fuel injected quad in their lineup, it's engine bears absolutely no heritage to the xr650. totally different engine series altogether!

• Jayzonk

Posted April 07, 2006 - 07:48 PM

I am totally convinced that this is a diesel engine in a KLR650. Just look at the rear fender - it's exactly the same as one on a KLR!!! I guess cheap molded plastic parts are hard to come by..... :confused:

• uncleroby

Posted April 08, 2006 - 04:10 AM

Old British and Italian bikes have plenty of "personality"...but you have to be a mechanic to own one! Out in the bush 30 miles from the truck I'll take reliability any time!

In the past it was true, actually we are improving.
To me reliability is very important as I sure use my bike (I make more kilometers with my bike than with my car...) and that's why I ride an XR.
XR has personality too but with a zick it could be beautiful while it is a too old concept bike.
Honda did a great engine, a good frame, was it so difficult to put on a good suspension and modern plastics? :thumbsup:

By the way in Italy the many brands are produced, and they are not all rusters...:

Ducati, Aprilia, MV Agusta, Husqvarna, Cagiva, Moto Guzzi, TM, Vor, Vertemati, Moto Morini, Benelli, Piaggio, and more.

Many of them are small producer, they don't have japanese technology but they produce nice racing bikes.

Uncleroby

• uncleroby

Posted April 08, 2006 - 04:14 AM

By the way, I have to thank you American guys if XR are build tough, powerful, simple and with no magic button!

Everybody wants the Electric boot, I don't!

The simplier the better!

Uncleroby

• XR_mad

Posted April 08, 2006 - 04:15 AM

hell yea the big xr kicks over easier than my xr80 used to so who needs the added weight of the electric boot, and the risk of the battery going flat and not being able to start it

• Triumphs

Posted April 08, 2006 - 03:27 PM

Yep, there's a lot of neat equipment out there from various far flung places.....it's just that for some machinery, there's often a big difference between wanting one and owning one!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.