200? CRF600X (or Brand New XR650R)?????

57 replies to this topic
  • captb

Posted March 29, 2006 - 07:17 AM

Less CCs wouldn't work for most using the bike as a DS, I need enough power to gear it tall to cruise at least 75 to 80 on the freeway, my favorite riding areas are 100 miles away or more some times, a smaller hi revving motor will mean frequent rebuilding, I need more CCs than the 650R not less, when I head up to Sedona of Flag I don't see any Huskys or KTMs out on the hiway but an occasional 650R or L is not uncommon, I did pass a DRZ putting along holding up traffic doing about 60MPH. If I was going to trailer to where I want to ride I'd go back to 500CC 2 smokes.

• x400r

Posted March 29, 2006 - 07:43 AM

why not blinkers and e-start on the 650R? It would be perfect. Ditch the old L.

• BAJAHUSKYS

Posted March 29, 2006 - 08:49 AM

For my money, I dont see Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha or even KTM coming to the states with a new design, factory street legal dirt bike. All five of them are always worried about liability. Husky beat everyone to the punch, but that doesn't mean the big 4 Japanese are going to follow suit. They have all had the technology to do this for years, Husky just jumped off the band wagon and did it for 06.

The 650L sells itself. Air cooled, dirt worthy, ES, can accept XR 600 internal gearing, street legal in all 50 states, doesn't break down. If they made the XR 650 into this bike by adding ES, it would probably sell quickly out west. But a lot of guys like not having to worry about boiling over while cow trailing. And Honda would have to fix the foot peg issue at the factory level. Means re tooling the entire frame. Which would open them to more liability for admitting there was a problem in the first place (which they have not done to date.)

I spoke to a KTM dealer this past weekend at the Off Road Auction and he said KTM hasn't told the dealers anything about a street legal model coming for 07 in California. I'd be surprised if we see any models from anywhere except Husky again for 07.

Again, it just comes down to liability. No one wants to be sued and Honda knows this too well with there three wheel line from the 80's. :thumbsup:

• rmhrc630

Posted March 29, 2006 - 09:22 AM

what the hell is it with the US and street legal off the showroom floor

almost all the KTMs made are sold in Australia off the showroom floor with full road registration.

&%$#@! is going in the US to prevent this?

Seems weird. The rest of the world is already getting fully street legal bikes that you guys can only ride offroad or have to do the street legal stuff yourself by buying a kit.

If we had to buy a kit down here to get a bike registered the company simply wouldnt sell the bikes - people would just go to the next manufacturer.

• don87xr600

Posted March 29, 2006 - 09:42 AM

For my money, I dont see Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha or even KTM coming to the states with a new design, factory street legal dirt bike. All five of them are always worried about liability. Husky beat everyone to the punch, but that doesn't mean the big 4 Japanese are going to follow suit. They have all had the technology to do this for years, Husky just jumped off the band wagon and did it for 06.

The 650L sells itself. Air cooled, dirt worthy, ES, can accept XR 600 internal gearing, street legal in all 50 states, doesn't break down. If they made the XR 650 into this bike by adding ES, it would probably sell quickly out west. But a lot of guys like not having to worry about boiling over while cow trailing. And Honda would have to fix the foot peg issue at the factory level. Means re tooling the entire frame. Which would open them to more liability for admitting there was a problem in the first place (which they have not done to date.)

I spoke to a KTM dealer this past weekend at the Off Road Auction and he said KTM hasn't told the dealers anything about a street legal model coming for 07 in California. I'd be surprised if we see any models from anywhere except Husky again for 07.

Again, it just comes down to liability. No one wants to be sued and Honda knows this too well with there three wheel line from the 80's. :thumbsup:

The KTM dealer lied to you so he can dump his '06 models.

• RdrMtn

Posted March 29, 2006 - 09:57 AM

what the hell is it with the US and street legal off the showroom floor

almost all the KTMs made are sold in Australia off the showroom floor with full road registration.

&%$#@! is going in the US to prevent this?

Seems weird. The rest of the world is already getting fully street legal bikes that you guys can only ride offroad or have to do the street legal stuff yourself by buying a kit.

If we had to buy a kit down here to get a bike registered the company simply wouldnt sell the bikes - people would just go to the next manufacturer.

No kidding! Why doesn't honda just sell the Aussie models in the US? They could keep selling the pure dirt versions too. No re-tooling required!

• trailsurfer

Posted March 29, 2006 - 11:20 AM

The KTM 525 will be street legal next year.

• MXWOODY

Posted March 29, 2006 - 11:34 AM

Hey fellow dual sport riders!.I have a 2000 xl650r that is in showroom condition that I put a big gun complete pipe system on, re-jeted, and put a works connection skid plate on. Need to sell it right now. don't want to but am forced to. Current California plate and sticker. Clean pink slip. Will take the first 4000. can send pics if you want

• wickedsprint

Posted March 29, 2006 - 04:48 PM

why not blinkers and e-start on the 650R? It would be perfect. Ditch the old L.

Because the bike is easier to kick over than your XR400...

• jwriott

Posted March 29, 2006 - 06:25 PM

Because the bike is easier to kick over than your XR400...

Wicked, I bought a BRP too.

Here in Colorado, we don't need blinkers. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thumpmeister

Posted March 29, 2006 - 07:26 PM

I still think a CRF 550 would be a sweet little ride. Torquey like a 650, top end like a 450, and all in a perimeter frame that would hopefully be a tad bigger than the 450. Seems like it could work.

CaptB; so you think Honda should make something like an XR700R? That would be a hog of a bike, at least it seems like it would be.

• captb

Posted March 29, 2006 - 08:25 PM

I still think a CRF 550 would be a sweet little ride. Torquey like a 650, top end like a 450, and all in a perimeter frame that would hopefully be a tad bigger than the 450. Seems like it could work.

CaptB; so you think Honda should make something like an XR700R? That would be a hog of a bike, at least it seems like it would be.

Depends if you are thinking DS or more of a dedicated off road bike, it's allways a trade off, if they build a hi revving 550 it will probably require frequent top end rebuilds.

• HC

Posted March 29, 2006 - 10:13 PM

smog laws will force hondas hand re the 650L, amazing its still here.

Yup, you Oz guys got it dicked. we have laws against anything fun here.

hondas minor issues to DS legally a 650r are really easy for them. really easy. it's weigh more. start bitchin'

• huntmaster

Posted March 30, 2006 - 08:23 AM

if they build a hi revving 550 it will probably require frequent top end rebuilds.

Exactly. A 600 or 650 can make lots of power through it's extra displacement and still be very durable compared to the MX based 450's etc. Not being an MX bike, it is not subject to MX based displacement limits so why not have power and reliability!

• wickedsprint

Posted March 30, 2006 - 08:52 AM

Wicked, I bought a BRP too.

Here in Colorado, we don't need blinkers. :thumbsup:

Same here up in Wyoming, all I did was wire in a brake circuit and add a rear view and called it a day.

• XR_mad

Posted March 30, 2006 - 11:12 PM

google xr700 they have been there and done that, but maybe they should bring it back

• uncleroby

Posted April 03, 2006 - 04:07 AM

I hope it will be a 550 cc more than a 700.
My 650 is too powerful and big for off road use. In the tight or muddy it is really hard to operate the throttle, psicologically it is devastating.
It feels you are sat on a rocket...

I think a 550 would be more fun everywhere and it would be smaller and lighter.

What you think about this: http://www.xr-italia...5;topicseen#new
?

Uncleroby

• HawkGT

Posted April 03, 2006 - 10:38 AM

What is that? Photoshop? Foreign market bike?

Posted Image

• Jayzonk

Posted April 03, 2006 - 07:52 PM

Where'd the motard come from??

• atreiou

Posted April 04, 2006 - 09:36 AM

What is that? Photoshop? Foreign market bike?

Posted Image

only a photoshop work

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.