First hare scramble....

6 replies to this topic
  • odonnks

Posted March 26, 2006 - 05:16 PM

Today I entered my first hare scramble on my 06 WR450. It was a good time.
A few issues:
Central PA woods and swamps were soooo muddy. the tires didn't seem to release the goo and made for a very slippery ride until I got to sections where I could speed up a sling the mud from the tires.

I've never been in mud like that for that duration. Is that a common problem or is it the stock dunlops or maybe me?

• dirtnsand

Posted March 26, 2006 - 10:16 PM

Today I entered my first hare scramble on my 06 WR450. It was a good time.
A few issues:
Central PA woods and swamps were soooo muddy. the tires didn't seem to release the goo and made for a very slippery ride until I got to sections where I could speed up a sling the mud from the tires.

I've never been in mud like that for that duration. Is that a common problem or is it the stock dunlops or maybe me?

I just did my first ride on my 06 WR450 today also. It was fairly slimy here in Nor. Cal. and my stock D739 front tire (a hard terrain tire) seemed to want to slip/slide way more than I like. I have been running a Michelin S-12 front on my previous bike (XR400) and was very happy with it's performance. I'm planning to replace the D739 with an S12 ASAP (I'll save the D739 for summer). The D756 rear ( a soft terrain tire) is pretty good for slick mud so I'll probably keep it for now. But, for serious goo, I also really like the Michelin S-12 rear. They won't stand up in hard pack, but for soft stuff, they are very good.

• odonnks

Posted March 27, 2006 - 02:59 AM

I did notice the rear worked well. Climbed thru all the sloppy nastys & roots. It was the front that danced around way more than I'm comfortable with.

I'll try a different front.
Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • C-ya

Posted March 27, 2006 - 06:09 AM

I have used and had good success with a Bridgestone M25, their spike tire. Right now, I have a Pirelli MT83 Scorpion on the front of my WR400. So far, it seems to be a good tire. When I order a new front, I'll prolly go back to the M25 for woods racing, tho.

• mtrablue

Posted March 27, 2006 - 12:24 PM

the stock 739 front tire should never even see the dirt on any wr east of new mexico. it's a shame yamaha still puts that tire on their wr's. there are a lot of opinions on tires in this forum(i'm sure you'll see that soon) but day in and day out the s12 (front and rear) is a hard tire to beat in the mud. be sure to use heavy duty tubes. the 756 (frt. and rr)is a great tire also. it will hold up a bit better than the s12 when things dry out. there are a lot of great tires out there. 401/402 bridgstones, si maxxis, the 742 dunlop front, m12's, the list goes on and on. i wrote of the s12 and 756 because they are a tire you should be able to find easly. your dealer will probably have them. go lean on him for a good deal.

• odonnks

Posted March 27, 2006 - 06:15 PM

Thanks for all the info. I have heard others complaining about the stock tires.

• jerryls

Posted March 27, 2006 - 08:49 PM

the stock 739 front tire should never even see the dirt on any wr east of new mexico.

Just for clarification, the 739 is just as bad to the west of New Mexico.

Jerry

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.