Metal Gas Tank for the "L"?

34 replies to this topic
  • HappyCurmudgeon

Posted March 27, 2006 - 01:54 PM

[snip]
Re - getting a metal tank. Have you considered getting one fabricated? It might cost you a bit, but if it works out, you might have a small business for yourself!

Ya know... that may actually work. :thumbsup: Especially if you made it so the stock elephant ears where an option... like maybe a little smooth filler plate that could be left in place, or removed to use the stock tank wings... ...with twin petcocks, one left one right...

hmmmm.... could be on to something here... I dunno if you could sell enough to break even, but it is an intriguing idea.

• ghoti

Posted March 27, 2006 - 01:57 PM

Ya know... that may actually work. :thumbsup: Especially if you made it so the stock elephant ears where an option... like maybe a little smooth filler plate that could be left in place, or removed to use the stock tank wings... ...with twin petcocks, one left one right...

hmmmm.... could be on to something here... I dunno if you could sell enough to break even, but it is an intriguing idea.

You could buy one out of a chopper catalog, get some flames painted on it. :thumbsup:

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted March 27, 2006 - 02:14 PM

I looked at my local DMV statutes just now, (I am in New Yuck) there is no provision in there stating I specifically can't have a plastic tank (DMV registration/inspection guidelines), but then again, it doesnt say anywhere that I CAN either. I'd guess this is a gray area until the whole new EPA guidline fluff comes into play. :thumbsup:

It could prolly be registered, if you took it to the right place... ... still doesnt mean it is legal and you may still get fined for it. :thumbsup:

I actually asked a similar question once before, that is where some of my info comes from.

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted March 27, 2006 - 02:15 PM

You could buy one out of a chopper catalog, get some flames painted on it. :thumbsup:

shhh...... dont let out all my secrets!

• ewbish

Posted March 27, 2006 - 03:04 PM

Is there a metal gas tank for the "L"? Besides the stock one? I have looked and have not found one. The second question is, are there any aftermarket tanks that fit on the "L" that you can attach the stock shrouds to? Thanks guys for you input. :thumbsup:

Nope, no metal and why would you want one? Plus, the shrouds are absolutely useless and do nothing. NOTHING. Their only purpose is to make the L look like the rest of the red line with rads, hell they even put fake shrouds on the XR 50 and 70 and call 'em CRF's now. I've run a temp guage with the shrouds before my desert tank came in, and now with my IMS and no shrouds and there is zero difference. I've put about 2K on my L without the shrouds, including a desert race (FMF Nat Hare n Hound in El Centro) this weekend. No heating probs whatsoever. In fact the only time I've ever actually seen my bike get really hot was playing in the dunes Saturday, but that's what happens when run sand dunes on knobbies.

Besides, the shrouds look cheasy anyway, ditch 'em and go with the more sano classic XR look.

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted March 27, 2006 - 05:00 PM

ewbish, did you miss this?

The reason that I want a metal one is that Oregon state law requires you to have a metal gas tank. Most cops won't even bother you with it but, the mother of one of my kids will call the cops to report it. :thumbsup: So, I need a metal one, I can switch back and forth, but its a 1 1/2 hour ride to get him so a larger tank would be nice. :thumbsup:

ewb, you are right, the wings have little effect (on a properly running & jetted bike), but I also do understand staying within the law, especially when someone has it in for you and will turn you in for so much as burping in public. (been there, was there, am there)

Sounds to me like this guy wants some extra gas, without any extra hassles.

I think Oregon needs to lighten the f up, but i see his point for wanting to stick clean too.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted March 27, 2006 - 06:27 PM

This is a bit of an out there idea but its worth a thought. Get yourself some very pliable metal sheets made of lead or a similar aloy, maybe even heat shield. Simply glue the sheets to the exterior of the 4 gallon tankand make it look like its metal. As long as it has a metal skin they may think its metal or at least not care......and the mother prolly wont know any different. I dont know, its prolly way to out there but it may work to just slap some of this on the plastic tank: http://www.denniskir...Id=10903&mmyId=

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wr450fyamaha

Posted March 27, 2006 - 06:27 PM

This is a bit of an out there idea but its worth a thought. Get yourself some very pliable metal sheets made of lead or a similar alloy, maybe even heat shield. Simply glue the sheets to the exterior of the 4 gallon tank and make it look like its metal. As long as it has a metal skin they may think its metal or at least not care......and the mother prolly wont know any different. I dont know, its prolly way to out there but it may work to just slap some of this on the plastic tank: http://www.denniskir...Id=10903&mmyId=

• radvocaat

Posted March 27, 2006 - 11:28 PM

Have you seen some of his posts?

Now I have!! I take it back!!

Hey HondaXR650L
Originally Posted by HondaXR650L
The reason that I want a metal one........

you're welcome to my stock metal tank, just pay shipping!! But I imagine you have one of those!!

• Wheels up

Posted March 28, 2006 - 04:18 AM

Now I have!! I take it back!!

Hey HondaXR650L

you're welcome to my stock metal tank, just pay shipping!! But I imagine you have one of those!!

No worries :thumbsup:

• HondaXR650L

Posted March 28, 2006 - 05:31 PM

Hey HondaXR650L

you're welcome to my stock metal tank, just pay shipping!! But I imagine you have one of those!![/QUOTE]

Your on, I'll take it. :thumbsup: My boss at work is a reserve police officer and he is the one that told me about the law. (He also has someone gunning for him every other weekend.) Yes we can all agree that Oregon has some STUPID laws :thumbsup: but when the Portland cop pulls you over, you have to smile. (He has a gun and a taser and LOTS of friends.) I would probably get a "Fix-it" ticket and that is where that metal tank would help.
I could tell you a tale about a woman in an SUV that ran me off the road, but that will wait for another posting. :confused: :bonk: :bonk:

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted March 30, 2006 - 09:11 AM

This is a bit of an out there idea but its worth a thought. Get yourself some very pliable metal sheets made of lead or a similar aloy, maybe even heat shield. Simply glue the sheets to the exterior of the 4 gallon tankand make it look like its metal. As long as it has a metal skin they may think its metal or at least not care......and the mother prolly wont know any different. I dont know, its prolly way to out there but it may work to just slap some of this on the plastic tank: http://www.denniskir...Id=10903&mmyId=

If I wrap my gas tank in tin foil, will it keep the evil space aliens from mind probing my cylinder head?? :cry:

Oh wait, isnt that what the propeller beanie is for? :thumbsup:

:bonk: :bonk: input and ingenuity is a good thing... ...but WOW :bonk: :bonk:

:thumbsup: :confused:

• Maniak

Posted March 30, 2006 - 10:01 AM

If I were you I would just buy the clark, they kinda look like they have factory wings, get the tank stickers from XR's only and it will look factory. Dont tell your wife, just switch it at your friends house. It will definetly fool your wife,(any woman) and just might fool a couple of cops, unless its LAPD, then it dont mater anyway, they will just shoot you.

• SDBSKI

Posted March 30, 2006 - 07:36 PM

I bought a Clarke 4gal and it looked great but fit terrible. I returned it and they sent a replacement that fit the same way. The bosses in the front were twisted and it tilted to the right so bad the tank was almost rubbing the engine. I took pictures to show them the problem and they said it was the best they could do. I got my money back. I guess I will go with an IMS. :thumbsup:

• rkuckkahn

Posted March 31, 2006 - 02:18 PM

Gosh now you have me wondering if mine fits as well as I think it does. I slipped mine on, no problems, it cleared the engine. The only thing I did to add stability was remove that wire deal in front and ran a short aluminum "bar" from the "wire" holes to the old wing mounts (welded to the front frame brace). Put rubber gromets in so there's still a little give. I also covered the under-side of the tank with that metal heat reflecting (rubberized) tape stuff. Copied the stock tank graphics using black number background sheets, a generic XR decal, and it now looks like an oversize stock tank.

Bottom line is the tank is, IMO, great, although I haven't tried others. Based the decision on these forums which suggested it was a good option.

Sorry to hear your problem and the IMS may be a good alternate, again according to forum info.

The main problem with Clarke according to some is the stopcock fitment (hard to get stock valve into the new bracket). But all you do is just loosen the factory delivered bracket, insert the stock valve/filter/stem retighten and magicaboola, yer done. Took me an hour to mount and another hour to fabricate the aluminum (non-factory) braces.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.