650r oil change question

19 replies to this topic
  • 2000 xr650r

Posted March 26, 2006 - 02:00 PM

Just got my oil changed on my brp and have a question. I ended up putting just short of 2 quarts in it. The manual says 1.7. When i checked it was a little over 3/4 of the way up the dipstick. Would you consider that too much? Where do you guys run yours at? Thanks, i am just a worry wart and need some one to comfort me before i get her on the road. I am new to dual sport riding and it seems fun.
All i want is the brp to be happy. lol So so much fun. Thanks

• D_F

Posted March 26, 2006 - 02:05 PM

Just make sure you check it after it has ran and been warmed up, or risk the coutershaft seal issue. I like to run mine close to full just to have more oil for cooling etc. Enjoy the ride.

• RdrMtn

Posted March 26, 2006 - 02:11 PM

I run mine close to full, too and end up putting more oil in than the manual says. I also started checking my oil while the engine is running, just for ease. Does checking oil while the engine is running hurt anything?

• BigBoreRacing

Posted March 26, 2006 - 08:54 PM

I run mine close to full, too and end up putting more oil in than the manual says. I also started checking my oil while the engine is running, just for ease. Does checking oil while the engine is running hurt anything?

[COLOR=Red]It won't "hurt" anything...but it won't give you an accurate reading[/COLOR]

• Thumpmeister

Posted March 27, 2006 - 01:49 AM

If I remember right, the manual says 1.7 for an old filter, and like 1.9 if the filter is replaced? If you replaced the filter, then thats about right; 2 quarts, because I've put 2 quarts in my bike before after a new filter, so I think you'll be okay. As long as you've replaced the countershaft seal w/ the updated piece. If you have a 2000 (like mine), and the seal hasn't been replaced, then it WILL blow out, and make a mess everywhere.

• TimBrp

Posted March 27, 2006 - 04:15 AM

I run mine right up at the top. I don't overfill but I go as high as I can. Once that new filter saturates it will absorb a bit and "ALL" engines consume some oil. Therefore having it at the top is best, IMO. That way if you lose a tad it will still be very sufficient.

• snaggleXR650

Posted March 27, 2006 - 04:31 AM

I have the same problem. I think it also depends on how throroughly you drain it too. I believe it's just about 2qts at engine disassembly and 1.7qts with a new oil filter.

• RdrMtn

Posted March 27, 2006 - 06:46 AM

Why would checking the oil while the engine is running give an inaccurate reading?

• TimBrp

Posted March 27, 2006 - 09:44 AM

Why would checking the oil while the engine is running give an inaccurate reading?

I might be mistaken but I believe the return line pumps right onto the dipstick.

• Thumpmeister

Posted March 27, 2006 - 12:56 PM

I might be mistaken but I believe the return line pumps right onto the dipstick.

I think so too, because I've checked my oil RIGHT after I shut my bike off before, and it gave me a reading of WAY over-full. But, after I wiped it off, I found I was only about half way up the stick.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TimBrp

Posted March 27, 2006 - 01:11 PM

I think so too, because I've checked my oil RIGHT after I shut my bike off before, and it gave me a reading of WAY over-full. But, after I wiped it off, I found I was only about half way up the stick.

Right thump.

It also doesn't say to check it that way in the manual either... :thumbsup:

• RdrMtn

Posted March 27, 2006 - 01:41 PM

The longer the engine is off, the lower the oil level will read. The manual says to shut the engine off, then check it. Do you guys shut off the engine, unscrew the dipstick, wipe it, then re-insert? Or should you unscrew the dipstick while the engine is running, shut off engine, then wipe & check for a quicker reading? What I am frustrated with is it seems that the slower you are at taking a reading, the lower the level will read, which could lead to overfilling. I know this seems anal, but I would like to know how you guys do it. What is the oil level at while the engine is running for you guys that are running oil sight tubes? Do you shut off the engine and then look at the tube or do you take your readings with the engine running?

• TimBrp

Posted March 28, 2006 - 04:12 AM

Even with the site tube I would still shut it down and take a quick look. It will give a fairly accurate reading with the engine running however that is a continuously moving oil circuit and the reading "could" be skewed. The manual states to run the engine for 5 minutes or so and shut it down. Unscrew the dipstick, wipe it, then re-insert. DO NOT screw the dipstick back down only let it rest on the threads as screwing it down will give you an inaccurate reading. I typically shut down the engine, unscrew the cap, wipe it, rest it on the threads and then check. All in all about 10 seconds after shutdown. Don't worry about it so much JJ. It's a Honda, you'll be fine. Even if you overfill a tad, just unscrew the frame drain a tad and let some out and start checking again.

• qadsan

Posted March 28, 2006 - 08:49 AM

The sight tube gives you an accurate real time reading of the oil level. The real time reading is fairly close to the same reading you’d get if the engine is shut off for 5 minutes and the oil was checked with the dipstick, as long as the engine speed is at idle. If you rev the engine, you'll see the oil in the sight tube quickly drop. When the engine RPM drops, you'll see the oil level rise back up again, but not nearly as quick as it drops when you hammer the throttle.

If you wait the 5 minutes as TimBrp said, then you'll get the exact reading that Honda wanted you to get. The dipstick or sight tube will give you the exact same readings at this point as long as the same high and low points from the dipstick are referenced to the sight tube. Another point to make is that the bike must be straight and level, otherwise the reading will be inaccurate. For instance, if you have the bike on its kickstand, you'll get a significantly different reading than if the bike was straight and level.

• RdrMtn

Posted March 28, 2006 - 01:03 PM

Thanks everyone!

• XR_mad

Posted March 29, 2006 - 12:00 AM

be warned it is a very messy procedure, just did my filter as well god damn oil everywhere lol

• TimBrp

Posted March 29, 2006 - 03:45 AM

be warned it is a very messy procedure, just did my filter as well god damn oil everywhere lol

Order up a "Billy Who" manfunnel. It takes some of the mess away.

• XR_mad

Posted March 29, 2006 - 03:56 AM

i was looking for one but didnt find one, so i just cut up a coke can, that worked fine, its when the oil filter casing was removed, but lucky i wont be doing that for another 500km

• TimBrp

Posted March 29, 2006 - 06:48 AM

i was looking for one but didnt find one, so i just cut up a coke can, that worked fine, its when the oil filter casing was removed, but lucky i wont be doing that for another 500km

I hear you on that. The oil drips down the case and gets on everything. Best stuff I've used for cleaning oil residue off metal is the "Spectro" Metal Parts Cleaner. Awesome stuff.

• danbart

Posted March 29, 2006 - 08:39 AM

Here is a trick that works pretty well for keepimg things clean. Just use aluminum foil to cover the areas that get covered in oil. Once done just thow it away.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.