WR400: Petrol overflow when leaning left.

6 replies to this topic
  • spy

Posted March 25, 2006 - 08:38 PM

Bike floods whenever it is leaned left while idling (either clutch-in or neutral). No problems on left turns with the throttle open.

Been having this problem for sometime, getting bothersome so hope there is a fix. Is this a common problem?

• steve lemley

Posted March 25, 2006 - 09:23 PM

Dont know if its a common problem. I have never had a problem and then I took my carb apart to check jetting and install the zip ti screw and all the sudden have the same problem. I adjusted the float, still same problem. The advice that I was given through TT was to replace the o ring under the seat no the complete needle and seat system. the seat rots I guess. Hope it helps... Also check your float and set to specs in the book. For the 99wr400 its 8 to 9mm from the top of the float to the bottom of the base of the carb with the needle shut but not compressed. Good luck and post results when you get um...

• dkwok

Posted March 31, 2006 - 02:05 PM

do u have pics on how to adjust the float level,
thanks, :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • steve lemley

Posted April 04, 2006 - 07:11 PM

No but there in the manual??? Sorry

• stealman

Posted April 05, 2006 - 07:36 AM

I noticed that when I lean my bike way over to the left [maybe the right too but have not done that] fuel comes out of the drain tube that comes off the bottom of the carb. Is this normal? Why does it do it?

• XT2YZ

Posted April 05, 2006 - 07:42 AM

I noticed that when I lean my bike way over to the left [maybe the right too but have not done that] fuel comes out of the drain tube that comes off the bottom of the carb. Is this normal? Why does it do it?

This is normal. You have properly functioning "overflow" tubes.

• Chas_M

Posted April 05, 2006 - 08:19 AM

Lower the float level about 2 mm, then loop the drain tube in a tight circle with the the top of the loop just above the float but below the lower edge of the intake manifold and the end of the tube pointing downwards as before.

This will increase your gas mileage by keeping any potential 'spilled' gas in the float chamber where it belongs.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.