Cheap Aluminum Screws

13 replies to this topic
  • freestyle250

Posted March 25, 2006 - 05:04 PM

I have now stripped out two of the cheap aluinum screws on my '05, and my dad has also stripped one of his carb. Man it really pisses me off how cheap they are, I was barely torquing on this last one and it just spun right off. Took me about a half hour to back the threads out, then I had to make an unnecessary stop on my way out riding this morning to pick up a new screw. Does Yamaha make a set of steel screws that I can buy somewhere?

• Matty05

Posted March 25, 2006 - 05:46 PM

Just take the screws you want to replace to your nearest hardware store.
They can give you SS screws for replacements.

Try mitre 10! :thumbsup:

• OneToGo

Posted March 26, 2006 - 03:01 AM

I have now stripped out two of the cheap aluinum screws on my '05, and my dad has also stripped one of his carb. Man it really pisses me off how cheap they are, I was barely torquing on this last one and it just spun right off. Took me about a half hour to back the threads out, then I had to make an unnecessary stop on my way out riding this morning to pick up a new screw. Does Yamaha make a set of steel screws that I can buy somewhere?

Those Carb screws are hopeless :thumbsup:

The size is M4 (metric), shold be able to get them at a hardware store.

I would advise getting SS Allen head style, about 20c each - never a problem again.

The float bowl are 12mm in length -need x4

The AP are 8mm -need x3.

The smallest of things make life easy :thumbsup:

• odonnks

Posted March 26, 2006 - 03:29 AM

Same problem here too.

Once I got them out I replaced them with allen head screws. They are easy to get at on a angle using Bondus drivers.
http://www.bondhus.c...rs/ballends.htm
You can get tehm in steel, SS or aluminum.

I'm sure Yamaha did it to save what weight they could. The Aluminum would be more expensive than steel.

• ISP482

Posted March 30, 2006 - 09:51 PM

After they stripped, how are you guys getting them out? I have two that are stuck.

• dbailey223

Posted March 30, 2006 - 11:12 PM

I took a dremel tool, cut a slot in the head to make the phillips head into one that a regular blade screwdriver would fit. Been too lazy to hit the hardware store yet, so I keep using the cheap Yamaha screws, which work very nicely as modified.

• OneToGo

Posted March 31, 2006 - 01:52 AM

After they stripped, how are you guys getting them out? I have two that are stuck.

Depends if you have stripped or burred the Phillips head or stripped the thread? I assume the former...?
I drilled one head off mine and another just sheared off. That left two, which I removed normally first time. The the two without heads were easy to get at once the float bowl was off (took carb off).
You may be able to remove by finger or dremel the side of the thread so you can get a vice grip on it.
Just be carefull not to crack that carb or float bowl - can be expensive to replace...:thumbsup:
Good luck :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • odonnks

Posted March 31, 2006 - 02:58 AM

I used a pair of needle nose vise grips to get ahold of the outside of the head.
I worked fine and fairly quick.

• RCannon

Posted March 31, 2006 - 05:05 AM

I bought a bucket load of the carb screws at a locla hobby shop. Apparently the radio controll cars use small metric fasteners......very reasonable cost and many different materials to choose from, including Ti.

Get some for the front mastercylinder while your there.

• nurooi

Posted March 31, 2006 - 05:32 AM

Yip, same problem on the 06 model. All I do now is whenever I work on the bike I go relace the original screws and bolts I take out with High tensil versions. So far I have replaced all screws on the handlebar controls, exhaust bolts, tank bolts, chain guard bolts etc.

For a couple bucks I get complete piece of mind that they wont sheer when putting them back.

Does annoy you though when you buy a product new and they sell it with crappy bolts.

Regards

Nurooi

• kskyles

Posted March 31, 2006 - 05:52 AM

i invested in a decent set of screw extractors from sears. it saved me when i stripped a couple screws on my old kawasaki. they work extremely well, and they aren't that expensive. i really like them.

i also replaced all my carb screws with allen head screws from home depot. it was cheap and easy. :thumbsup:

• Tsk350

Posted March 31, 2006 - 10:13 AM

You can buy a complete set of polished SS bolts off of ebay. I have bought a set for my 2003 WR450 and for my 2001 TTR225 (nephews ride). They are all Allen head and shine nicely. And for 21.95 plus shipping not a bad deal. :thumbsup:

• BajaFool

Posted March 31, 2006 - 11:16 AM

I had the same problem with stripped screws when I changed the jets in my 2006 WR. A local dealer in my area, who sells both Suzuki and Yamaha motorcycles, recommended that I use Suzuki screws, instead of Yamaha screws. They say that the Suzuki screws are tougher. I haven't had a problem since making the change. None of my original screws holding the float bowl on to the carburetor were aluminum, however.

• freestyle250

Posted March 31, 2006 - 02:02 PM

For me since I was in such a hurry, i just took a really small flathead screwdriver and filed the end until it was really sharp and lightly tapped it until it formed a groove in the stripped bolt (i sheared it off about halfway down the threads, and it was well out of view deep inside the casing) when it formed a groove, just firmly and carefully started to back it out. Took a while, but I was in a hurry to get it ready for the next day of riding.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.