fork height?

8 replies to this topic
  • crfdaddy

Posted March 25, 2006 - 02:45 PM

my question is there any potential harm if i set the fork height level at the 2nd scribe line from the top of the top tripple clamp down? in other words i can see 2 scribe marks. i was hoping that this will help the bike to run tighter cornering, i'm planning on purchasing the apllied rubber mount offset clamps in the near future to help with this. thanks john

• mxmark

Posted March 26, 2006 - 12:37 PM

my question is there any potential harm if i set the fork height level at the 2nd scribe line from the top of the top tripple clamp down? in other words i can see 2 scribe marks. i was hoping that this will help the bike to run tighter cornering, i'm planning on purchasing the apllied rubber mount offset clamps in the near future to help with this. thanks john

One of the guys at work is running the forks on the second line with no problems. Thanks Mark

• fastbyfrank

Posted March 26, 2006 - 01:30 PM

i have placed my forks (04 yz450f) at the first line and it turns sharper less push. i have not tried the 2nd or 3rd mark. the trade off i hear is high speed stability. has not been an issue with me. :thumbsup:

• crfdaddy

Posted March 26, 2006 - 04:59 PM

thanks guys for getting back with me , i wasn't sure if you could run at the second mark, now i feel better i'm going to try that until i buy theoffset tripple tree

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NYMXer

Posted March 26, 2006 - 05:16 PM

You can run it at the 2nd line but you will give up a lot of high speed stability for some awesome cornering.

• djo269

Posted March 26, 2006 - 11:28 PM

What year of bike do you have? Mine is the 03. I was running on the 2nd line but have switched back to the first line down from top. I think the 2nd line works best for tight wooded trails if thats your primary riding(quicker turning). But I ride mostly open areas and mx tracks so I needed better stability. Every time I would hit a cow turd, my bars would swipe sideways,OUCH! Something to think about...

• crfdaddy

Posted March 27, 2006 - 10:07 AM

mainly run outdoor, mx tracks some of the tracks have very sharp turns more than 180 degree turns. i can hit them pretty fast on a 2005 kx250f , the 2004 yz450f is another story, i just can't get it to rail like a 250f, probably me just need to ride more i guess

• NYMXer

Posted March 27, 2006 - 01:57 PM

Remember crfdaddy......these are 2 very differant bikes as far as weight and power are concerned. :thumbsup:
naturally, they will react differantly too. :thumbsup:

• bruntz505

Posted March 27, 2006 - 04:41 PM

I've tried this before and if you ride a lot of outdoor mx style tracks I'd suggest the first mark from the top.If you raise the forks,you'll gain a little cornering,but give up a lot of handling.I did it once,and it made every bump just seem twice as harsh.Now,if you are riding sx style tracks,go for it.Natural terrain,like braking and acceleration bumps just killed me along with any flat landings.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.