What is this?

8 replies to this topic
  • dstark

Posted March 25, 2006 - 01:48 PM

Does anyone know what the gigantic black cylinder is on my 2006 650L? Pretty sure its part of the smog, but what is it? Is the IMS smog block off kit going to eliminate that also?

• xbreaka

Posted March 25, 2006 - 02:34 PM

hmm post a pic if you can and ill see if I can tell what it is.

• dstark

Posted March 25, 2006 - 02:53 PM

Dont have that ability right now, but the cylinder is located forward of the smog pump, its about the size of a soda can and has three hoses. One hose connects to the gas cap vent, one is a drain hose, and the other connects to a little black deal just under the charcoal canister. Its an '06 so im sure they added more smog equipment. I have not been able to locate the same thing on any other 650L years. There more smog equipment on this bike than on my truck.

• GIANTac1

Posted March 25, 2006 - 03:47 PM

I had the same thing on my 05'. Loose it all. Follow Daves mods and hang on! It is all junk, worthless. Drill the slide, remove the snorkel, re-jet, and add a aftermarket exhaust. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kelleyseiler

Posted March 25, 2006 - 05:50 PM

It must be somthing for California bikes only....you know how some of those greenie weenies are. :thumbsup: .....I have a 2006 and it doesnt have anything like that.http://4strokes.com/.../honda/xrlsmog/ here are the instructions for removal of the emmisions. :thumbsup:

• GIANTac1

Posted March 25, 2006 - 06:37 PM

It must be somthing for California bikes only....you know how some of those greenie weenies are. :bonk: .....I have a 2006 and it doesnt have anything like that.http://4strokes.com/.../honda/xrlsmog/ here are the instructions for removal of the emmisions. :bonk:

Yup, Cali bikes only :confused: Just follow Daves mods. Its all good! :thumbsup: By the way, thanks Dave! You are Da Man! :thumbsup:

• GIANTac1

Posted March 25, 2006 - 06:43 PM

Does anyone know what the gigantic black cylinder is on my 2006 650L? Pretty sure its part of the smog, but what is it? Is the IMS smog block off kit going to eliminate that also?

Sorry dude, the answer to your question is..........evap canister. Your gonna need a smog block off kit as well. Sorry, I forgot that in my last reply. :thumbsup:

• cleonard

Posted March 28, 2006 - 12:58 PM

Don't throw it away!!! Supposedly California will begin smoging bikes next year. That means there will be the visual inspection. No smog stuff, no new registration. That will be the law. Well, actually that's the law now, there just isn't anyone checking. On a more practical side, will the smog guy know it's supposed to be there? I doubt it. So if you take it off, keep it in case you need it somewhere down the road.

I hear that Arizona is smoging bikes now in the Phoenix area. Anyone run into this issue with a 650L there?

• captb

Posted March 28, 2006 - 01:49 PM

Muffler bearing, kahuten valve or :thumbsup: evap charcoal emmissions canister, I got the block offs and removed it back when I had my L, the bike seemed heavy enogh without the extras.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.