Help! No spark - 02 XR650L

7 replies to this topic
  • rokklym

Posted March 25, 2006 - 11:10 AM

I just got done rebuilding the top end on my 02 XR650L and after we reinstalled the motor, we can't get any spark.
We have check all the connections we can thing of. Check the resistance on the coil, plug wire, and pulse generator, everything looked fine. The only thing we were suspicious about was the CDI. My crappy Clymer manual says there should be continuity when checking the CDI with the kickstand up, but no when its down. Mine had continuity on both up and down positions but none in the middle.
Any ideas? things to check, try, anything?

I'm going to go hunt down one of the local mechanics later today to see if he has any ideas.

• Dual_Dog

Posted March 25, 2006 - 09:07 PM

You might be onto something there regarding the safetys. I'd go ahead & bypass all of them & see if that helps. I did it to mine because I didn't want any possibitly of the them failing out riding in the middle of nowhere. Also, check the plug wire for proper resistance & the kill switch & wiring to make sure it's not preventing it from firing. :thumbsup:

• zodran

Posted March 25, 2006 - 10:02 PM

The clymer's pretty sucky, mine has the xrl in a few pages at the end. The factory service manual is much better. I recall reading that there is no current procedure for checking cdi's, other than to replace with a known good one.
Anybody you can borrow one from to check? My xrl got one around 12k, it was $150 or so. I too, would eliminate or jumper around the sidestand switch, you have a neutral switch too.
Good Luck, I enjoy your posts on the "other" site too. DK

• rokklym

Posted March 26, 2006 - 12:49 AM

The clymer's pretty sucky, mine has the xrl in a few pages at the end. The factory service manual is much better. I recall reading that there is no current procedure for checking cdi's, other than to replace with a known good one.
Anybody you can borrow one from to check? My xrl got one around 12k, it was $150 or so. I too, would eliminate or jumper around the sidestand switch, you have a neutral switch too.
Good Luck, I enjoy your posts on the "other" site too. DK

Thanks!
A guy I work with has a bone stock 02 XRL so I'm going to have him try my CDI in his bike. I really don't want to have to replace it unless absolutely necessary, I spent enough already on the rebuild. Theres a couple other things I'm going to check too. I'll bypass the safety stuff to eliminate that a a current of future problem too. It looks like you unplug the two leads going into the clutch lever and put them together, then ground it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rokklym

Posted March 26, 2006 - 06:23 PM

Its the CDI!

I took my CDI over to my friends house this morning and put my CDI in his bike and the damn thing ran!! So, I figured that the CDI was good. I took it home and plugged it in and took off a zip tie that I had around the pulse generator wire. I thought maybe the Zip tie was grounding out that wire somehow. The bike started right up! It was the first time it ran since the hot cam and carb mods and the thing just sounded like an animal! I warmed it up and didn't let the bike idle and changed the revs alot. After it was warmed up I changed the oil and went for a ride. My god, what a different machine, it totally rips! Took it for about a 20 mile ride and brought it home and changed the oil again and put in Mobil 1 15/50.
As soon as I was done changing oil I tried to start it up and it wouldn't start! &%$#@!, so I checked for spark and there was none. I tried everything I could think of and no dice. I called the local motor guru and he says he has seen alot of CDI failures on Honda products. I went out to my buddies and got his CDI. Sure enoguh, my bike ran again. Wierd stuff but it must be the CDI.
I guess I'll be ordering one of those pretty quick!

• captb

Posted March 26, 2006 - 07:46 PM

It's the pin terminals internally where the CDI harness plugs in, mine was bad on my 93 if I twisted the terminals to make better contact it seemed to work for a while if I wiggled the plug in it would act up, it is internal contacts in the CDI box most likely. I think I got a new one from Honda Direct line for 80.00. never had a problem again but I did rubber mount it better it used to vibrate in the side case and electrics don't hold up well to vibration, my 2 cents. good luck

• zodran

Posted March 27, 2006 - 03:33 PM

Its the CDI!

I took my CDI over to my friends house this morning and put my CDI in his bike and the damn thing ran!! So, I figured that the CDI was good. I took it home and plugged it in and took off a zip tie that I had around the pulse generator wire. I thought maybe the Zip tie was grounding out that wire somehow. The bike started right up! It was the first time it ran since the hot cam and carb mods and the thing just sounded like an animal! I warmed it up and didn't let the bike idle and changed the revs alot. After it was warmed up I changed the oil and went for a ride. My god, what a different machine, it totally rips! Took it for about a 20 mile ride and brought it home and changed the oil again and put in Mobil 1 15/50.
As soon as I was done changing oil I tried to start it up and it wouldn't start! &%$#@!, so I checked for spark and there was none. I tried everything I could think of and no dice. I called the local motor guru and he says he has seen alot of CDI failures on Honda products. I went out to my buddies and got his CDI. Sure enoguh, my bike ran again. Wierd stuff but it must be the CDI.
I guess I'll be ordering one of those pretty quick!

Great news, I like the cam as much for the sound as the performance. Makes them sound like less of a john deere and more like a ferrari, exotic. :thumbsup:

• rokklym

Posted March 27, 2006 - 09:12 PM

Great news, I like the cam as much for the sound as the performance. Makes them sound like less of a john deere and more like a ferrari, exotic. :thumbsup:

Yep, its suprising the sound difference! I still have the stock pipe and I did the daves mods, removed the snorkel, cam and rebuild and WOW.
I can't wait to pipe it, but I'm scared it might be too loud then.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.