radiator overflow tank

12 replies to this topic
  • dirt fool

Posted March 25, 2006 - 07:19 AM

do i need this overflow tank, i ride michigan have never overheated my old bike.(02yz250). has anyone taken theirs off.

• Z-MAN450

Posted March 25, 2006 - 07:37 AM

I also live in Michigan & I took mine off my 03 450 before I even started it. No problems just reroute the line down the down tube in front of the engine & cut to length. It’s always a good idea to check you level before you ride. :thumbsup:

• Kepy

Posted March 25, 2006 - 11:51 AM

do i need this overflow tank, i ride michigan have never overheated my old bike.(02yz250). has anyone taken theirs off.

...no you don't, it's only for eviromental reason since the coolant doesn't flow back from the overflow tank to the radiator :thumbsup:

• Tsk350

Posted March 25, 2006 - 04:12 PM

I left mine installed and made it into a reserve fuel tank.

• Matty05

Posted March 25, 2006 - 04:35 PM

If you ever tweak a radiator, you will be glad that you have the extra coolant capacity to hopefully get you home.

• Matty05

Posted March 25, 2006 - 04:40 PM

...no you don't, it's only for eviromental reason since the coolant doesn't flow back from the overflow tank to the radiator :thumbsup:

It is not there for environmental reasons, it is NOT a catch tank!
It is a reservoir, the radiators can take extra coolant as well as dump coolant, this is what is the difference between an "environmental" catch tank and a reservoir.

If Yamaha were that environmentally concerned, they would have carby overflow catch tanks on these bikes as well.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamahaWR450FMike

Posted March 25, 2006 - 04:51 PM

mine is there for a reason and it is NOT coming off

• Beejay

Posted March 25, 2006 - 05:31 PM

I agree with Matty05, it is a resevoir tank, working both ways.

• imdickie

Posted March 26, 2006 - 12:14 AM

It is not there for environmental reasons, it is NOT a catch tank!
It is a reservoir, the radiators can take extra coolant as well as dump coolant...

That is absolutely correct. The overflow tank also keeps air bubbles out of the radiator. If you remove the overflow tank and send the overflow to a down tube when the coolant finally cools down and contracts you will just suck air back into the radiator. When you have an overflow tank the liquid can expand and contract keeping the system air free. liquid works much better than air at cooling a motor.

Chugging along on tight trails at low rpm's will over heat the piss out of that motor. It doesn't matter where you ride. The fact is there isn't enough airflow to cool down the coolant at low rpm's. That motor was meant to be run high and fast. If you chug the motor at slow speeds you will suck coolant from the over flow tank. When you hit an open spot and ride high and fast the coolant goes right back into the radiator.

• Chas_M

Posted March 26, 2006 - 07:27 AM

Many folks spend money, time and effort to set up coolant recovery systems for their bikes. To compromise the cooling efficiency by removing the OEM coolant recovery system just doesn't make sense.

• dirt fool

Posted March 26, 2006 - 11:05 AM

thanks for the great replys,think ill leave on the tank for a while.

• stillsun

Posted March 27, 2006 - 07:49 PM

You guys on WR's want to remove them, a lot of us on YZ using them for trail bikes are adding them..... just doesn't make sense.

-J

• Tsk350

Posted May 20, 2006 - 03:08 AM

I reinstalled my coolent tank and added some other cooling items to my system. Like 16 dollar coolent and an in-line coolent cooler. Cooler motor = more horse power.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.