Lower pegs for '06?

8 replies to this topic
  • lipskid

Posted March 24, 2006 - 08:27 PM

I could use a little more leg room, and the shifter's a bit short for my size 13's. Has anyone heard if Fastway or others have low mount pegs coming soon?

• tdc_worm

Posted March 25, 2006 - 09:05 AM

i have fastway pegs mounted in the lowboy position on my bike. made a huge difference... i am 6'1" tall, but it is all in my legs. i have a very short torso. moving the pegs down and back made all the room i needed for my legs and my size 12 tech 8s...

to mount them in the low boy position, call fastway... they will send you two new flush mount bolts to replace the lower bolts in your footpeg mount. you have to use a counter sink to bore that hole in the mount some in order to get the flush mount bolt to actually sit flush. it is an easy modification, takes 5 minutes, and is worth all of the time invested...

• lipskid

Posted March 25, 2006 - 04:20 PM

Thanx TDC! :thumbsup:
I bought a set of Fastways a couple months ago, and sent them back. :thumbsup: You don't have a phone# or web site for them do you? Whenever I do a search, all I get is retailers.

• jho410

Posted March 25, 2006 - 04:46 PM

You can also modify the stock pegs by using a Dremel tool and cutting off the collar (that the spring goes on). Remount the pegs while putting the removed piece of the collar (which normally resides below the pegs) on the top. It's been almost two years or so since I last did this but I believe you may have to reverse the springs or swap sides ... easy enough to figure out. I've done this with the last 3 bikes. Since the newer pegs on the YZs are titanium, you might use a disk or two when cutting them.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cowboyona426

Posted March 25, 2006 - 07:08 PM

jho410, the problem with that is that on the 06 the peg brackets are bolted on, and the peg wouldn't clear the bolt unless you countersink or otherwise modify the peg. I hadn't thought of countersinking that bolt before, I may try that and chopping the stock pegs... cheaper than new pegs! :thumbsup:

• tdc_worm

Posted March 25, 2006 - 07:22 PM

Thanx TDC! :thumbsup:
I bought a set of Fastways a couple months ago, and sent them back. :thumbsup: You don't have a phone# or web site for them do you? Whenever I do a search, all I get is retailers.

http://www.fastwayperformance.com/

• SurvivorMan

Posted March 25, 2006 - 07:54 PM

I have a set of fastway pegs installed on my 06 450 and love them too. Are we talking about the same pegs? I had mine on my old 300 mxc and just bought new collars for $20, they press in and out on a bench vise, so you can choose between low or normal height settings. i did not need to drill, or counter sink anything. I used the original peg bolts, swapped the springs and all is well!?

• lipskid

Posted March 26, 2006 - 05:36 AM

:thumbsup:

• jeffboyd47m

Posted March 26, 2006 - 10:13 AM

One of the first mods I did to my 06 was to lower the pegs. I have used Fasstway pegs on two other bikes and while I like the wide platform design I hated the Allen bolts. They wear down and I was disappointed with the traction they offer, not very good. For my new bike I bought some Tusk foot pegs from Rocky Mountain ATV for 59.95 and I cut the collar off with a hacksaw and had the collar re-welded on the opposite side. It`s true that you have to put a counter sunk bolt in, that is easy to do. The last thing you do is swap sides with the springs. This mod makes a huge difference in the way the bike feels and shorter riders seem to like it as much as the taller ones.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.