XR650R Rubber Mounted Handlebars with SUB mount!

36 replies to this topic
  • ztsd

Posted April 03, 2006 - 06:15 PM

Things are coming along... Up to 11 units and counting. Latest development: Looks like the price for the top triple clamp and bar clamps/SUB will come in at under $150! Stay tuned! :thumbsup:

• MIxr650r

Posted April 03, 2006 - 06:35 PM

Sweet :thumbsup:

• pbusanga

Posted May 25, 2006 - 02:39 AM

how is the project coming along. you can count me in

• ztsd

Posted May 25, 2006 - 05:50 AM

how is the project coming along. you can count me in

Funny you should ask, I was just thinking the same exact thing! I’ll try to give the guy a call today and find out the status. Last I heard was he had taken all the measurements and was just about ready to go. I can’t wait to get it, I NEED TALLER BARS!

You’re on the list!

• ztsd

Posted June 06, 2006 - 05:54 AM

UPDATE!

Talked to Ron last night and he said he thought they would be ready in a month.

7/8” and 1 1/8” bar mounts will be available, bars adjustable front to rear.

• fjfilips

Posted June 06, 2006 - 11:42 AM

This sounds great, especially for $150.

I recently picked up a used XR650R and the previous owner had installed an over the bar Scott steering stabilizer mount system w/ Pro Taper bars (unfortunately he didn't provide the actual Scott's damper).

At 6'4", the bars are too low/close for me. So moving the bars forward is definetely good, but about how much higher than my current setup will they be? I am looking for as far forward & up as I can get.

As I understand it, the bar mount will have mounting holes for a Scott's damper. But what about the piece needed to mount to the frame for the damper arm to pivot on? Will this bar setup place the damper in the same physical location as the over the bar Scott's damper mount so I can use the same frame mount that clamps over the oil fill bolt? If not, what is needed for the frame?

What kind of finish will it have? Bare aluminum or anodized?

I am definetely interested in this mount if I can get it in my hands by July 9th. Also, if anyone has a lead on a good used Scott's damper I am all ears. No luck on ebay so far.

Thanks,
Frank

• ztsd

Posted June 08, 2006 - 06:10 AM

Hey Frank,

The bars should be about 1 ½” to 2” higher to clear the SUB.

Using the most forward position, the bars should center on the fork tubes if I remember correctly. There will be several other choices right back to the stock location so you should be able to find one just right for you.

I need higher bars NOW! So, I ordered the Pro-Taper Contour Pastrana FMX bend, 30.50” wide, 4.75” tall and the pull back is 2.17”. I wanted the original Pro-Taper but was told they don’t make that bend any more but I could get the Pro-Taper Contours in that bend... Oh well! I almost passed, but then I thought, “Who am I kidding, I’ll never ride like a kid again!”

So bought them and the adaptor to go from 7/8” bars to 1 1/8”. This will let me have taller bars now and I’ll get the triple clamp when it becomes available.

The way it looks right now, you will have to supply the bars and all the damper parts to the frame.

The triple clamp will include the Scott’s damper mount and rubber mounted bar clamps with rubber cones included.

The damper always has to be lined up with the fork stem so it should be in the same location, but under the bars. Since it will be much lower under the bar, your stuff probably wont fit. I’m gonna go with a forward arm on the damper with the tower frame mounted forward. Take a look at the BRP SUB for the XR650R on the BRP web site to see how it’s mounted. I was going to go with the BRP SUB, but they don’t make the rubber mounted bar clamps...

I’m guessing the finish with be raw, but I hadn’t even thought to ask Ron. Go to Ron’s site RSWRacing.com and send him an email with your questions.

He told me they should be ready in a month... But... This is custom work and you can’t get this anywhere else.

• trailsurfer

Posted June 08, 2006 - 08:49 AM

Also you should check out the KX High bend. They are the tallest with the least amount of pull-back and are more of a "normal" bar. That Pastrana FMX bend is designed for freestyle, of course if you like it who cares what it was designed for but it is not as wide as the other bars. Usually when you are tall you also like a wider bar.

I'm 6'6" and use the BRP sub mount with the KX High bars on my XR650R and it works very well. But bars bends are a personal choice and all that matters is you like it.

I have friends who now swear by the Flexx bars so I am thinking about trying those at some point. Anybody have any feedback on those?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • qadsan

Posted June 08, 2006 - 11:26 AM

...I have friends who now swear by the Flexx bars so I am thinking about trying those at some point. Anybody have any feedback on those?

I'm now ~6'4" and shrinking, but I've run the Flexx bars on various bikes and like them a lot. It's my bar of choice for off road use, but they do take some getting used to. For off road use, I like the yellow elastomers, but I like the red elastomers best for the mx track. The elastomers can be further tuned by cranking down the nut which also adjusts the bar height. If you want an even taller bar, then ask Fasst if they'll make you a custom set of bars from their taller ATV parts along with the longer length motorcycle bars. They don't sell this combo as a standard product and it may take a month or three for them to slip this into a one off production run, but this combo is great for taller riders. The down side is you'll likely need new cable (throttle, clutch, & decomp). The standard Flexx bars are a fairly tall bar as is and are similar to a CR HI, but the special ATV / bike comb Flexx bars are an additional 3/4 inch taller.

• ProMed

Posted June 09, 2006 - 06:18 AM

If it's not too late I would love to get in on this group buy, sign me up!
promed.solutions@gmail.com

• ztsd

Posted June 09, 2006 - 08:02 AM

Also you should check out the KX High bend. They are the tallest with the least amount of pull-back and are more of a "normal" bar. That Pastrana FMX bend is designed for freestyle, of course if you like it who cares what it was designed for but it is not as wide as the other bars. Usually when you are tall you also like a wider bar.

I'm 6'6" and use the BRP sub mount with the KX High bars on my XR650R and it works very well. But bars bends are a personal choice and all that matters is you like it.

I have friends who now swear by the Flexx bars so I am thinking about trying those at some point. Anybody have any feedback on those?

Too late, the bars are on the way... I’ll see how they work out.

I went with the tallest they had. I’m on the east coast and we usually go with narrower bars for woods riding... Smacking a tree with the bar can ruin your day...

I did some research on the Flexx bars. Several people told me they are great for impacts but don’t do anything for vibration, which makes sense because they have one rigid mounting point on each side.

My primary goal is to reduce handlebar and foot peg vibration as much as possible. I have already mounted some 3” rubber pegs off a big Honda touring bike and that worked VERY well. I only get vibration in the pegs when lugging the bike in low rpm with full throttle. Can’t feel any vibration under normal conditions.

I cut the mounts off a set of donor stock pegs and welded them to the new rubber pegs. I also found a SS clevis pin clip to eliminate the cotter pin and that allows me to change the pegs back to stock in less than 60 seconds for muddy rides.

I also plan to fill the bars with silicon caulk up to the last bend on each side then pour in lead birdshot with a final silicon caulk plug at the ends. I have heard this is an extremely effective vibration damper for the bars, add the rubber mounted bar clamps and I’ll have the best vibration dampening I can get. I also had the wheels balanced after I mounted the new rubber and this seems to be working great!

My personal motto is: Anything worth doing is worth overdoing...

Here's what the bike look like so far...
Posted Image

• ztsd

Posted June 09, 2006 - 08:03 AM

If it's not too late I would love to get in on this group buy, sign me up!
promed.solutions@gmail.com

It’s not too late... Your in...

:applause:

• ProMed

Posted June 09, 2006 - 08:56 AM

I am 6'1 and really prefer the Pastrana Bar for my application with the XR650R. As you can see below they are 1/2" taller with .04" less pull-back. They do have a 1" shorter width which is good for when the trails get tight here in the Carolinas. :applause:

Bend Width Height Pull Back
KX High Bend 31.50" 4.25" 2.21"
Pastrana FMX Bend 30.50" 4.75" 2.17"

http://www.rockymoun...andlebarinfo.do

• ztsd

Posted June 13, 2006 - 04:48 PM

I got the bars and mounted them with adaptors for now until the rubber mounted triple clamp is available. I love the Pastrana FMX bend and the extra ¾” from the adaptor. I can stand quite comfortably and the extra height with the new triple clamp should make them perfect. Can’t wait for the triple clamp...

• ProMed

Posted July 10, 2006 - 04:32 AM

I got the bars and mounted them with adaptors for now until the rubber mounted triple clamp is available. I love the Pastrana FMX bend and the extra ¾” from the adaptor. I can stand quite comfortably and the extra height with the new triple clamp should make them perfect. Can’t wait for the triple clamp...

Same here, any word on when the clamp may be available?

• kellyk7

Posted July 10, 2006 - 05:38 PM

I am not sure if this is apropriate here but I got off the phone with zron walace at RSW Racing, he makes a top bridge with your chouce solid mount or rubber mount, 4 adjustable bar locations can set either up for a sub mounted Steering Damper. Basicly he is a short run production shop and is open to do some custom work if you need. I have seen his work on other bikes and it looks solid and high quality. other then that I have no connection to him.

Ron Wallace
408-710-1933
www.rswracing.com

• ztsd

Posted July 14, 2006 - 12:14 PM

Same here, any word on when the clamp may be available?

I just send an email to Ron and asked for an update.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.