Couple 06 YZ 450F part ?'s

5 replies to this topic
  • RaptorRacer888

Posted March 24, 2006 - 06:37 PM

Alright, I basicaly suck at making thread titles, but anyway.

Next weekend hopefully, maybe the weekend after that, I should be picking up my 06 YZ 450F at the dealership. While there I will pick up some jets, becaue I have been reading through here and concluded a 48 pilot, and 170 main in the hot ticket. If not, then I will just read through the jetting forum again or something.

Anyway, this post is about what I am going to be ordering for my 450 before I get it/ maybe right after I get it.

Right now, this is what my shopping cart looks like.

Posted Image

1. Stock Crappy Chain- Good O-ring chain
2. Stock Low Bars- Higher bars
3. Stock Front Dunlop 732- 756 Dunlop
4. Stock Skid plate - Works Connection Plate

5. Pending- Twin Air filter, Ready filter reusable oil filter

Other than that, and doing the normal greasing, lowering forks, jetting, is that what you all would recomend for having a good, reliable, 450 that will last a few years at least. I would like to keep it stock as possible while still having a great bike.

So basically, do you have anything to add to that list?

P.S. This is for a motocross 450 only.

• mxmark

Posted March 24, 2006 - 08:06 PM

Set the sag at 98mm before and after break-in. Different grips. Thanks Mark

• PK

Posted March 24, 2006 - 08:18 PM

I had to readjust my sag 3 different times so I would check it frequently until you notice it isn't changing. My bike came some extra jets and one of them was the 170 main so all you should have to buy is the 48. Other than what you already have, you should be covered. I guess I'm the only guy here who doesn't mind the 739 front tire...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SurvivorMan

Posted March 24, 2006 - 10:08 PM

Pack good grease into steering stem, completely take apart your linkage/bottom shock bearing and pack new grease. I also pop the plastic seals off of the wheel bearings and push those full of grease. that white silicony stuff doesn't last so long. swing arm bearings too....so hard to do when the new bike is begging you to ride it. the stock chain has lasted me 20 hours...why change it? it's a cheap chain to dial in your gearing choices too. once you have your desired rear sprocket size, flip on the new o-ring. if your riding hard pack, the 739 works great.
oh yeah, i like the boysen quickshot too

• RaptorRacer888

Posted March 25, 2006 - 05:35 AM

Pack good grease into steering stem, completely take apart your linkage/bottom shock bearing and pack new grease. I also pop the plastic seals off of the wheel bearings and push those full of grease. that white silicony stuff doesn't last so long. swing arm bearings too....so hard to do when the new bike is begging you to ride it. the stock chain has lasted me 20 hours...why change it? it's a cheap chain to dial in your gearing choices too. once you have your desired rear sprocket size, flip on the new o-ring. if your riding hard pack, the 739 works great.
oh yeah, i like the boysen quickshot too

Yea im not on hardpack to much, and that is the only place the 739 works, so I think I will be changing it. Stock chain on my YZ 250 strectched about 2 inches after 2 hours of riding, so on my 450 Im going to change it out first thing, and try and sell it as an unused stock chain for 20 bucks or something.

• Drfletcherdc

Posted March 25, 2006 - 07:21 AM

I went through 4 different handlebars to find the one that fit me the best, Pro Taper Windham MX bend. The second best was Renthal Twin Wall Stewart/Emig bend. I ran a blue Renthal 50T sprocket on the rear and it allows me to pretty much ride between 3rd and 4th gears on the track.

The works connection glide plate fitted perfectly on the bike.

I wouldn't use a Ready Filter, stick with the Twin Air or Uni.

I would look at getting an oversized front brake kit like Braking.

I changed to the Dunlop 742 front (90) and 952 rear. The 952 has better knobbies than the 756 and it was patterned after the 756. The 742 is a soft/intermediate tire.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.