Need to find a new motor

6 replies to this topic
  • jfreadman

Posted March 24, 2006 - 11:49 AM

Long story short. I had valve fatigue and now need to rebuild from the crank up or find a new 426 motor. I remember seeing a post telling how to get a new motor for about $1400. I have searched the forums with no luck. Hind site is 20/20. I never thought I would need a new motor. LOL Would you know where to get a new 426 motor?

:thumbsup:

• rockieman

Posted March 24, 2006 - 12:32 PM

Why not rebuild? I just shared your experience with my 400. I went with a new crank, cylinder, piston (426), head, valves, cams. I have about $1700 invested in my rebuild....and I have the peace of mind knowing what i have.
If you buy a used motor for $1400 ....you might be jumping back in the boat you were just in. :thumbsup:

• bandit99

Posted March 24, 2006 - 12:48 PM

I agree with Rockieman. Rebuild it or have someone who knows what they are doing do it for you. It may cost more but you will have a solid motor and peace of mind.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jfreadman

Posted March 24, 2006 - 04:07 PM

I agree that rebuilding it would be the way to go over a used motor. I thought when I saw the thread for the $1400 motor it was new. I’m for seeing $1200 to $1400 to rebuild myself, and figured if I could get a new motor for the same price it would be a no brainer.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted March 24, 2006 - 04:41 PM

My mechanic rebuilt my 01 426. He replaced everything, all valves,gears,cylinder,piston etc.. for 1700.00 I thought it was a great deal.

• rockieman

Posted March 24, 2006 - 05:37 PM

I just posted the cost I had with my rebuild.
Chances are you can rebuild for less than I did.
Good luck

• Matty05

Posted March 25, 2006 - 04:46 PM

Long story short. I had valve fatigue and now need to rebuild from the crank up or find a new 426 motor. I remember seeing a post telling how to get a new motor for about $1400. I have searched the forums with no luck. Hind site is 20/20. I never thought I would need a new motor. LOL Would you know where to get a new 426 motor?

:thumbsup:

Time to sell that bike now and upgrade to a new bike!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.