Bike won't idle or start without choke... HELP

10 replies to this topic
  • MountainManic

Posted March 24, 2006 - 10:55 AM

My bike won't idle without the choke on, doesn't matter if hot or cold. Won't start without choke hot or cold, runs as long as i stay on the gas but as soon as i get of the gas it dies. I am guessing this is a fuel delivery problem? Do i need to clean the carb? This is a 02 426, i need to hurry, its finally warming up a little, the ground is thawed, NEED TO RIDE BEFORE IT FREEZES AGAIN! Thanks guys

• boyonblue52

Posted March 24, 2006 - 11:01 AM

Try your idle screw....if it dies right away it seems its way too low so read up in your manual and try and adjust it correctly. If that doesnt work there could be an assortmant of things

• Fastest1

Posted March 24, 2006 - 11:09 AM

boyonblue52 is spot on but if that doenst work, go for a thorough carb cleaning, probably wouldnt hurt anyway.

• boyonblue52

Posted March 24, 2006 - 11:14 AM

HAHA thanks and i agree with Fastest1

• DRH

Posted March 24, 2006 - 03:26 PM

Is this something new to the bike? Has it been doing it for some time, or just recently? If the bike has been sitting for some time, try something simple like putting fresh gas in it. If you were a clean freak with your bike, you might pull apart the hot start valve, they are known to corrode easily with a little moisture causing your bike to be on the lean side. Clean it and throw in a little grease. (the hot start valve can be cleaned in about 5 minutes). I also agree with the other posts, set your idle screw higher. If it still acts the way you describe, the bike is on the lean side, refer to jetting specs and have fun.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bmeador

Posted March 24, 2006 - 06:59 PM

U should check your valve clearances, If the intake valves are tight it wont idle and be hard to start.

• greyhd

Posted March 24, 2006 - 07:30 PM

It sounds like your pilot is clogged. Has the bike been sitting at all?

Pull the pilot and clean it out with some carb cleaner and give it a try. It will take 10 minutes tops.

• theclone

Posted March 24, 2006 - 08:20 PM

yup, pilot is clogged. just clean the carb, might need to stick a wire through the pilot hole to get all that crud out of there. but most of the time carb cleaner and compressed air works fine.

• MisterMan

Posted March 25, 2006 - 01:10 AM

My bike won't idle without the choke on, doesn't matter if hot or cold. Won't start without choke hot or cold, runs as long as i stay on the gas but as soon as i get of the gas it dies. I am guessing this is a fuel delivery problem? Do i need to clean the carb? This is a 02 426, i need to hurry, its finally warming up a little, the ground is thawed, NEED TO RIDE BEFORE IT FREEZES AGAIN! Thanks guys

same thing /w/ a buddies 250.... paid 150 to have it done... just the piolet jet was clogged... GET it clened....unless u know what ur doing...tps must be replaced after removal....

• ovrrdrive

Posted March 25, 2006 - 05:38 AM

$150 to have a carb cleaned, and you actually recommend that????

Dude, clean it yourself. You can do everything they do and you get the side benefit of knowing everything was done right.

Chances are real good that the problem is in the pilot jet. There's no need to tear everything down unless he wants to. Just clean the jet area good and put it back together.

I have a hard time believing that anyone would pay $150 to have the carb cleaned... Wow.

• Fastest1

Posted March 25, 2006 - 01:02 PM

You should never have to change the TPS! As a matter of fact they run quite well with it unplugged!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.