Works Connection skid plate 06 YZ 450

12 replies to this topic
  • no air charlie

Posted March 24, 2006 - 10:09 AM

I purchased a Works Connection skid plate and installed it last week. It was an easy installation using the 3 bolts from the stock skid plate. The skid plate fit perfectly and looks excellent.

My problem is that the first time I rode on the track with this thing installed, I thought something was wrong with my bike! It sounded like a bike with 300 hours and worn main bearings. (Its an 06 YZ 450 with 6 hours use). I went back to the pits, took the skid plate off and then the bike sounded totally normal.

Has anybody else experienced this problem? I would like to use the WC skid plate but do not want to ride a new bike that "sounds" thrashed. I think the aluminum was somehow magnifying the sounds coming from the engine.

• yami racer

Posted March 24, 2006 - 11:25 AM

This was posted earlier and others had the same experience with their skid plates. It is just bouncing the NORMAL engine noise up toward your head so you are hearing more audibly these sounds. There is no problem and I believe it is something you just have to live with. I have the GYTR skid and I hear it also but not as much and I think the side vents help to disperse the noise...

• Reyndogg

Posted March 24, 2006 - 01:24 PM

you'll get used to it in time i think - and once it gets caked with mud/dirt you wont hear it anymore - im still not happy with the fit/finish of mine but whatever i feel its better than not having one.

• no air charlie

Posted March 24, 2006 - 02:08 PM

Thanks for the response. I may try to remount with rubber washers between the plate and the frame mounts. If that doesn't work I guess I will just deal with it. Has anyone tried a carbon fiber glide plate and if so do they have the same engine noise problem?

• Ga426owner

Posted March 24, 2006 - 03:23 PM

Hmmm I did not notice this but now I am curious.....if it is snug, it can not vibrate so the noise must be echo huh? Try the mesh material they shipped with the skidplate to see if this absorbs some of the sound..... :thumbsup:

• Baron Von Beard

Posted March 24, 2006 - 03:55 PM

Put the foam in and it will help muffle the noises so it won't bother you.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ethan

Posted March 24, 2006 - 05:45 PM

I have the Lightspeed carbon fiber plate and it makes the same noise. My friend complained about the same thing with carbon fiber on his RMZ450. Glad I knew that before I put mine on or I would have freaked too.
Also, the fit on the Lightspeed was not perfect. I had to ream out the holes in the front of the plate to make it fit correctly. For $110.00 I expected more, but now it is on good.

• cowboyona426

Posted March 25, 2006 - 07:25 PM

Kind of off-topic, but where are you guys stuffing the factory foam? I have mine in the front of the motor and wondered if moving it to the bottom would help with the noise issue.

• DPW

Posted March 25, 2006 - 09:31 PM

Kind of off-topic, but where are you guys stuffing the factory foam? I have mine in the front of the motor and wondered if moving it to the bottom would help with the noise issue.

I placed a quarter of the foam in front and the rest on the bottom. Once it's caked with mud it will be quieter too like Reyndogg mentioned. I'm going to try and use an old inner tube and place some strips between the frame and skid plate to help with the echo.

• Drfletcherdc

Posted March 26, 2006 - 06:39 AM

I placed a quarter of the foam in front and the rest on the bottom. Once it's caked with mud it will be quieter too like Reyndogg mentioned. I'm going to try and use an old inner tube and place some strips between the frame and skid plate to help with the echo.

When it's caked with mud it is also about 8-10 pounds heavier.

• Drfletcherdc

Posted March 26, 2006 - 06:41 AM

I purchased a Works Connection skid plate and installed it last week. It was an easy installation using the 3 bolts from the stock skid plate. The skid plate fit perfectly and looks excellent.

My problem is that the first time I rode on the track with this thing installed, I thought something was wrong with my bike! It sounded like a bike with 300 hours and worn main bearings. (Its an 06 YZ 450 with 6 hours use). I went back to the pits, took the skid plate off and then the bike sounded totally normal.

Has anybody else experienced this problem? I would like to use the WC skid plate but do not want to ride a new bike that "sounds" thrashed. I think the aluminum was somehow magnifying the sounds coming from the engine.

The first time I rode mine after putting on the skid plate I felt the same way. I went home and changed the oil because I thought I put the wrong oil in. I am actually use to it so it doesn't bother me anymore.

• DPW

Posted March 26, 2006 - 06:48 AM

When it's caked with mud it is also about 8-10 pounds heavier.

Wow really, you don't say. Thanks for the info. I just figured it would help with cornering since the mud is carried low on the bike and would help lower the CG...kind of like lowering your radiators, but I'm using free mud instead... :thumbsup:

• Ga426owner

Posted March 27, 2006 - 08:15 AM

I used the foam mesh the past weekend - all noise is gone. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.