New Skins

8 replies to this topic
  • Motosprtman

Posted March 24, 2006 - 09:05 AM

I am in the process of installing some new tires (Dunlop 606's) on my 2005 XR650L, replacing the stock Bridgestone "Trail-Wings" after only 1,475 miles. The front tire is still good and the rear has what I would consider "normal wear" for a tire at this stage of it's life.

The Bridgestones are ok feelin on the street, but I have found as many of you have also they are worthless off road.

What is the recommended tire pressure for the Dunlops, I was thinking of runnig them at 14 PSI this weekend in muddy soft conditions in the woods. Too high? I bet they will make a world of difference in handling!

• wr450fyamaha

Posted March 24, 2006 - 12:08 PM

Im lookin at either a MT21 or D606 for the front, not sure which yet though.

• Motosprtman

Posted March 27, 2006 - 06:13 AM

tried em out this weekend and theyt were pretty good! maybe had the pressure a bit too high still (14 PSI) but the rear end hooked up well the front end still felt like it wanted to wash out at time - especially in the mud.

• HRCMan

Posted March 27, 2006 - 09:21 AM

I'm sure you will like the 606. I just changed out my second rear (1100 miles on the first, and 1250 on the second) twice the mileage of non DOT tires. The original rear and front were Dunlop 756's. Never got over 600 miles out of the original rear or the first replacement which was a 756 also. The fronts outlasted the rears in both cases, when I changed to the first 606 I installed a 606 front also. These mileages resulted from a 75/25 off/on road ratio, from wet to dry, dirt to granite trail conditions. Since the 650R is such a tire eater I thought these were pretty decent mileages, but I'm still experimenting with that.

I noticed an ever so slight loss of rear traction with the 606 off road, the front is equal if not slightly better off road. On the pavement both are superior to my reference 756's.

Recently I mounted a Michelin "Baja" front and rear. I look forward to seeing (no pun intended) how they hold up. As soon as my vision returns I will put them to the test.

There is no perfect tire for all situations. The challenge is to find the combination that does the best job handling your individual riding situations and conditions. This is not just about mileage or traction etc. etc., but about all the factors that give the rider satisfaction and security.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Motosprtman

Posted March 27, 2006 - 11:38 AM

Overall I liked em alot. I will be riding 25-30% street and the remainder off-road. Over stock (of course) it is totally different off raod, the bridgestones that were the OEM tires were mostly street oriented.

• ghoti

Posted March 27, 2006 - 12:32 PM

tried em out this weekend and theyt were pretty good! maybe had the pressure a bit too high still (14 PSI) but the rear end hooked up well the front end still felt like it wanted to wash out at time - especially in the mud.

I don't know about the 606's, but from what I understand they have a very stiff sidewall same as what I'm running. If you have rim locks you can go down to 6 or 8 pounds for slow speed, no sharp rocks, low traction riding. You may be subject to pinch flats with this low of pressure. I'd go 12 to 14 for higher speeds/ dry rocky terrain.

• Motosprtman

Posted March 27, 2006 - 01:45 PM

yes they do have a stiff sidewall - the rear tire was "fun" to mount. NOT. :-) overall though not bad. I mount my own tires using the hand tools (tire levers). I amy drop a couple of more PSI in the dirt - soft loamy dirt to mud.

• ghoti

Posted March 27, 2006 - 01:59 PM

yes they do have a stiff sidewall - the rear tire was "fun" to mount. NOT. :-) overall though not bad. I mount my own tires using the hand tools (tire levers). I amy drop a couple of more PSI in the dirt - soft loamy dirt to mud.

You do have a least one rim lock, right?

• HRCMan

Posted March 27, 2006 - 04:35 PM

I agree with the low end being 6 - 8 psi. if you have a rim lock. I wouldn't go any lower than 12 - 13 for road use.

Anytime you drop below 15 psi. you need to check the pressure each time you ride. At low pressures you have lost any reserve you have and need to keep an eye on it. I know that I don't always check as often as I should, there is nothing worse than being 50 miles from nowhere with a spun rim and possibly torn stem.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.