Have a Question

5 replies to this topic
  • jonnyrocket56

Posted March 23, 2006 - 08:51 PM

Hey i would like to know what it takes to empty the fluid out of the front fork of a YZF 426 2002? then what about filling it up

• kid on a 426

Posted March 23, 2006 - 09:20 PM

I would like to know how to measure the level because I sprung a leak a few weeks ago and a bit drained out and I'm wondering If I should fix it and add more.

• John407

Posted March 23, 2006 - 09:21 PM

If you just want to change out the brake fluid just put new fluid in the reservoir and bleed the old stuff out at the caliper until you get new fluid out the bleed.
To get the fluid to bleed out hold the lever in to the bar, while holding the lever in open the bleed at the caliper. The fluid should spray out, once it's finished spraying close the bleed and release the lever, as long as you have fluid in the reservoir do it again.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jonnyrocket56

Posted March 23, 2006 - 09:46 PM

no the fluid in the fork

• John407

Posted March 24, 2006 - 07:33 AM

Sorry, you would think I'd be able to read at this time in my life. I always had to remove the forks from the bike pull the top cap off and pour the fluid out. To set the fluid level you need to remove the spring and a small tape measure.
If you just want to add a little fluid you can use a siringe to add it through the air bleed cap.

• PK

Posted March 24, 2006 - 08:29 PM

Your owners manual will walk you thorugh it. You'll need a 17mm allen wrench to remove the base valve at the bottom of the fork after you remove the fork cap. If you haven't messed with forks before, try to find someone who has or research it on the net. It's not hard once you do it once but the first time is a little intimidating. You could just remove the fork from the bike, take off the fork cap and dump the fluid out but the worst of the fork oil is still in the dampening rod and the bottom of the fork since to get all the old stuff requires you to take them apart. To refill them, you have to pump all the air out of the dampening rod first then fill it up to the specified level. When they say for example, 110 mm, they mean with the fork collapsed, measure 110 mm inside the fork and that is where your oil level should be. Like I said, it's all in your owners manual and the only special tool you'll need is the 17 mm allen head. If you were near by I would walk you through it...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.