leaking crankcase

3 replies to this topic
  • sparky454

Posted March 23, 2006 - 09:50 AM

I have a 2003 wr450 and was changing the oil this past weekend and noticed a few drops of coolant under the motor so I pulled the skid plate off and checked and I found a crack in the crankcase about 1.5 inches long, I've never had a crankcase to crack and I was wondering if it would be safe to have this welded?

• Numskull

Posted March 23, 2006 - 05:31 PM

Ya you can weld it. I would drain the oil and make sure the cracks cleaned up real good(no oil) and maybe clean the metal with a dremal sander or such. You could probally use an epoxy like JB Weld also. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mjslim

Posted March 23, 2006 - 11:42 PM

Was the crack near the starter? Do you have the 04 starter mod? Some folks with 03's experienced cracked cases due to the 03 starter issue, although not sure if coolant leakage resulted from the damage. Something to think about if you haven't already done the mod.

• sparky454

Posted March 25, 2006 - 06:33 AM

the crack is in the lower front of the motor below the exhaust and the lower front motor mount bolt, I'm going to clean it with carb cleaner and a die grinder and try the JB weld while I wait on some new cases.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.