How soon should I adjust the valves?

30 replies to this topic
  • Matty05

Posted March 25, 2006 - 05:55 PM

Valves are a once a year maybe twice thing. I personally love wrenching on the bikes, almost as much as riding so it's of no concern to me. While your halfway through a race mixing gas, changing plugs or rings or that clutch you gotta ride the snot out of I'll wave as I pass by w/ 4000 miles on the same topend going strong.

BTW- you didn't happend to catch my sarcasm in the last post. I have a two stroke. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You may have a 2 stroke, but sounds like you have never had a CR500!
That was the best, most reliable bike going. You could get 2 seasons out of a piston and rings!

• TimBrp

Posted March 27, 2006 - 04:22 AM

You may have a 2 stroke, but sounds like you have never had a CR500!
That was the best, most reliable bike going. You could get 2 seasons out of a piston and rings!

My best friend has a 2000 CR500. Got 4 seasons out of the stock topend and it was still going strong. He wasn't a maintenance freak either. Often times I had to yell at him to change the oil and filter. I'll chock that up to Honda "past" reliability. Wish they still made bikes like that.

• dreadrock

Posted March 27, 2006 - 05:27 AM

Got my WR450 2 years age have had ZERO problems with it . Valves were spot on. :thumbsup:

only thing it needs is a rider with more skill heheh

04WR450
04crf150

• Moto5

Posted March 27, 2006 - 05:55 AM

He blow it up in three races from racing it? I bet he fast.

I've read that five times and LOL every time. Thanks :thumbsup:

• Matty05

Posted March 27, 2006 - 11:31 PM

My best friend has a 2000 CR500. Got 4 seasons out of the stock topend and it was still going strong. He wasn't a maintenance freak either. Often times I had to yell at him to change the oil and filter. I'll chock that up to Honda "past" reliability. Wish they still made bikes like that.

They were, and still are, a truely awesome bike. Everyone should own one at least once in their lives!

A aluminium frame KX 500 looks easy to build, easier than CR500AF. Might just be my next bike. Hmmm, A 500 2 banger with a power valve! :confused: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Gee

Posted March 29, 2006 - 11:43 AM

It's hard to believe that virutally ever pro motocrosser is running one of those unreliable four-strokes, they must be shelling motors right and left. :thumbsup:

• freestyle250

Posted March 29, 2006 - 07:10 PM

you dont ride hard! my friend got a new 05 yzf and he blow it up in 3 races from racing it

Well then youre friend is a mechanical retard and doesnt understand that 4 strokes dont have as high a redline as the two strokes do. Id put 20 bucks on the table saying he was trying to ride it like a two stroke and stay on the powerband. I ride it like it was stolen, on the track and on the trails, and have over 1000 miles with no mechanical issues. Trust me, I had a YZ 250 before my 450F, and I will tell you there is no way in heaven or hell I am going back to a 2 smoker. You joined the wrong forum man

• Johan_from_Sweden

Posted March 30, 2006 - 03:05 AM

I have over 10 000 km on my 426 -02.
Last week I changed the timing chain and I compared the new and old chain.
Couldn't´t see or feel any difference between them.

I also checked the valve clearance and it was 0.05 mm to tight on all valves so i just took out the plates and grinded them to the right measure.

• tenyart

Posted March 30, 2006 - 06:51 PM

Has anyone bought the hockey puck valve shims? I ran Zx-11 Cows and they were a pain in the butt to acquire exactly what I needed when I needed it. I would prefer if Yamaha made them adjustable like the Grizzly 660. Its a piece of cake and nothing to buy. You can also play with the tuning. Does anyone sell an assortment kit? Or would that be outrageous $$

• unkle_george

Posted March 31, 2006 - 08:18 AM

The Hotcams shim kit is ~$99. It has way more sizes then you need, but not enough extras in the sizes you do need.
It will save you a trip to the dealer though just to buy a handful of $5 valve shims.

• MountainMax

Posted June 23, 2006 - 08:07 PM

Well some of the 2 strokes I had used adjustable exhaust power valves I use to have to adjust after putting in new pistons also........

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.