new 06 450

5 replies to this topic
  • phixeous

Posted March 23, 2006 - 06:39 AM

First let me say the bike runs better and stronger then any other bike I have ridden. I put the 48 170 jet combo in and it took away all the popping. I have been reeding posts that say I should change the front tire and and lower the front forks for handling gains, how important are the changes for the bikes handling. And if I make the changes what tire should I go with and how much should I lower the forks? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

• Reyndogg

Posted March 23, 2006 - 06:53 AM

I changed to Michelin S12 front and rear and LOVE them as i did with my YZ250f...ride soft/loamy tracks, not much hardpack or trail.

My forks are raised to first line.

good luck.

• brian389

Posted March 23, 2006 - 08:39 AM

We're talking night and day difference. Go with Dunlop 756 in front. Slide forks up to first mark on the tubes. Go with taller handlebar, and if you are around 170 lbs., back rear shock (low-speed) compression off 4 clicks so the bike settles in the turns. The 4 clicks on the shock make a huge difference. I let a heavy guy ride mine (he rides an '06 CRF 450) and he came back babbling about how plush it was and how well it turned. He never bottomed on the jumps, and he goes hard and fast.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yami racer

Posted March 23, 2006 - 08:59 AM

I weigh 190 and kept the shock stock. Lowerd the forks to first line which works very well for me but next is the new front tire as I can concur the stock front tire stinks....

• NYMXer

Posted March 23, 2006 - 03:55 PM

Ride the bike for an hour or so then set the rear sag, drop the front forks to the first line, change the front tire ( I run a Maxxis IT), jet it w/ a 168 main & a 48 pilot, toss the stock chain and put on a Uni air filter. Wow, watch this bike ride like a works bike! Sweet power everywhere and great suspension too. :thumbsup:

Posted March 23, 2006 - 04:22 PM

756 or 755 dunlop on front..............

regarding droping the specific amount......try a few differant set takes about one minute to can always go back to stock settings.................
PLAY WITH YOUR SETTINGS!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't be afraid.......Find the Best for you.........

PS, I've dropped/rasied???? my forks about 1/4" below line, turns on a dime for me.........

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.