00 426 engine noise...please help!!!

22 replies to this topic
  • yamarider426

Posted March 22, 2006 - 02:54 PM

I have had my bike for 2 yrs now and love it. I keep valves adj and oil changed. I would guess the bike has around 2000 hours on it. The noise is heard mostly on idle-1/8 throttle and is heard a little more on the left side. I pulled the clutch apart and could not find anything loose but when I jiggle on the crank it has maby 1/16'' play in it. Also you can here the noise comming more-so from the mid-section (Cylinder) area. I'm thinking rod bearing (hopefully upper) or wrist pin bearing. Has anyone had simular problems or know what this might be? I do ride it alot and when I do, I hammer it, including long dirt road w.o.t.'s every now and then.

• kid on a 426

Posted March 22, 2006 - 05:09 PM

2000 hours! I hope you mean 200, but anyways I've been hearing a weird noise on my bike also but only on decelerating using compression braking. But my sound is more of a whistling and when I pull in the clutch it goes away, so im just guessing its the clutch, hopefully there's nothing wrong with it. But your noise, is it a rattling noise like something's loose, or a scraping noise

• motobark

Posted March 22, 2006 - 05:54 PM

Check the crank main gear nut, they loosen up sometimes and make a loud rattling noise. Clutch side, if you pull the clutch cover off you can look in there and see if the gear is moving on the crank. There should be no movement between the gears and where they're mounted on the crank.

Really easy to fix, just bend the lock tab flat and tighten the nut, rebend the lock washer tab back over and you're done.

• matty441

Posted March 22, 2006 - 05:54 PM

Your bikes 7 years old buy a new bike retard. and just let it go

• dr250andrew

Posted March 22, 2006 - 06:14 PM

I have the same noise in my 02 426f. I thought it might be the bearings on the connecting rod. I never had it appart so i dont know. But it really bothers me that it sounds like that.

Some people dont have money to just go buy a brand new bike there matty441.

• Birdy426

Posted March 22, 2006 - 06:34 PM

Yup, check that primary drive nut! Mine loosened up and caused a fair amount of damage tot he crank splines!

• yamahauler44

Posted March 22, 2006 - 06:44 PM

its not a honda, it will run like a top for years to come. nice post, retard.

• kid on a 426

Posted March 22, 2006 - 07:44 PM

hahahah you can't count to 6 hahaha. The bike's a 2000 and it's 2006 my supercalculater says 6years hahahaha retard hahahaha can't count to 6. (BTW a lot of people don't have enough money) I don't know where you get enough money to buy new stuff all the time. You probably buy a new bike every time a tire wears out

• yamarider426

Posted March 22, 2006 - 07:53 PM

....No doubt as to what we have here sportsfans...some superficial, no good, momma's boy who was born with a silver spoon in his mouth, prob whom still lives at home with good 'ol mom, and never actually worked hard a day in his pathetic little existance he calls a life. So to better his self-confidance issues (due to no doubt his small dick complex) he be-littles people asking for help here. Hey jack-ass If I had money to buy a new one why the f**K woud I need help fixing this one. If you want to meet a retard to make fun of go play with yourself and get off this web site! :thumbsup:

• yamarider426

Posted March 22, 2006 - 08:00 PM

The noise is a rattleing noise, deff. not clutch related.
And yes I did mean 200 hours.
Thanks for advise on drive nut I'll check it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • matty441

Posted March 23, 2006 - 07:16 AM

last I checked you could get 00' s in late 99

• matty441

Posted March 23, 2006 - 07:36 AM

What you really have is a guy who started his own cunstruction company and doesn't mind to work for new stuff. and My guesse is you spend enough money at the bar every week to make a new bike payment. thats what I see if were making jugdments

• BK14MX

Posted March 23, 2006 - 09:48 AM

What you really have is a guy who started his own cunstruction company and doesn't mind to work for new stuff. and My guesse is you spend enough money at the bar every week to make a new bike payment. thats what I see if were making jugdments

I'm sure you have a blinged out bike and rip up the pits, so you come on here to rag on someone trying to be "cool guy". Nice move, jackass. So, what explains why your a tool?

The only thing I had come loose on my 00' 426 was the CB key, that was an easy fix though. I put a few really hard years on that bike, valves never went out of spec, and 1 set of rings, tough machine no doubt.

• crashyz426

Posted March 25, 2006 - 02:48 PM

hey pretty boy matty, Ive got a baby on the way and a wife who just got into commission based world of real estate. Ive got the same bike 1)sure as hell dont have the money for a new bike 2) dont give a shit about spending $6000 for a new one, ecspecially since I have to work my ass off to get it. BLOW IT OUT YOUR ASS PRETTY BOY

• henrysdad

Posted March 25, 2006 - 06:47 PM

I sure hope you were TRYING to be funny fella.

The way I see things, the question asked is legitimate and why this forum exists.

No reason whatsoever to come off so rude. Maybe this is how you treat your customers at this so called "construction company"? Why reply at all if you have no real suggestions on his probem? Then to accuse someone of drinking alot verses buying a new motorcycle.

You have made enemies coming off like some smug piece of crap.

• WildRide

Posted March 25, 2006 - 10:37 PM

last I checked you could get 00' s in late 99

And Duh!! Yeah I can buy a new 05 in 06 so maybe the bike is only 5 years old. I hope your construction work is better than your math or spelling.

• yamarider426

Posted March 26, 2006 - 02:40 PM

Whooooooooo Hoooooooooo Good news guys!!!!!!!!!!
I found the problem. It was the balancer gear nut. It somehow loosened up even with the locknut on it. The clutch basket nut was slightly loose too but the balancer bolt was the root of all evil. The bike makes no noise at all now. Rode it today for about 3 hours and it ran like a champ. Thanks guys for your help....and to you matty boy...I sure am glad I have enough sense to ask for help with my old ass (paid for) 426, that now would prob. outrun your (surly not paid for) 450. Now I guess I can "go to the bar and waste some money"...Just need to start drinking...dickhead.

• PMK

Posted March 26, 2006 - 08:29 PM

Whooooooooo Hoooooooooo Good news guys!!!!!!!!!!
I found the problem. It was the balancer gear nut. It somehow loosened up even with the locknut on it. The clutch basket nut was slightly loose too but the balancer bolt was the root of all evil. The bike makes no noise at all now. Rode it today for about 3 hours and it ran like a champ. Thanks guys for your help....and to you matty boy...I sure am glad I have enough sense to ask for help with my old ass (paid for) 426, that now would prob. outrun your (surly not paid for) 450. Now I guess I can "go to the bar and waste some money"...Just need to start drinking...dickhead.

Glad you found the cause, you might be wise to order a new key for the counterbalncer gear, they cost like $3. Normally these get worn from the gear coming loose, so it will possibly happen again. Replacing the key will prevent damage to the crank or gear. This has been a pretty common problem for the 2000 and earlier bikes.

PK

• airtime101

Posted March 29, 2006 - 05:21 PM

the 426 of 2000 has a key on the crank they changed it to a spline in 01. i just had the same problem (noise clank bang) and sure enough the crank nut was loos but, for your bike DO NOT JUST TIGHTEN UP THE NUT you need to take a look at the key ,if it is warn or shered off then you need to replace it. i have an 01 and did alot of research on this problem. i put in new rings and checked the valves threw her back together and so far shes as good as new(no more noise clank bang)

hope this helps

• airtime101

Posted March 29, 2006 - 05:27 PM

the 426 of 2000 has a key on the crank they changed it to a spline in 01. i just had the same problem (noise clank bang) and sure enough the crank nut was loos but, for your bike DO NOT JUST TIGHTEN UP THE NUT you need to take a look at the key ,if it is warn or shered off then you need to replace it. i have an 01 and did alot of research on this problem. i put in new rings and checked the valves threw her back together and so far shes as good as new(no more noise clank bang)

hope this helps

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.