Question when you uncork the carb.

6 replies to this topic
  • icedfusion

Posted March 22, 2006 - 06:11 AM

I have read numerous articles on uncorking the beast and bought all the parts for it and taken the carb out and substituted all the items.

My questions are as follows:

1. I have read that the clip should go on both the 3rd position/ 4th position. When looking at the jetting tables, I assume this is to do with my position above sea level and how rich i want the mixture?
I have set it to position 4 with all the required new parts.

2. When putting the carb back together, One of the articles said to use some teflon/oil on the throttle valve, is this neccessary? Do you just buy this teflon as a liquid and 'paint' it onto the valve as you would oil?
I would have just cleaned it up with a lint free cloth and put it back in - but now I am not sure :thumbsup:

3. When putting the carb back together is it wise to use some sort of sealant on the faces, or will new rubbers do the trick?

[edit] I have an '02 XR650R

Any help greatly appreciated.

ice.

• JackAttack

Posted March 22, 2006 - 06:14 AM

Just make sure it's lint free and put it back together.

• creeky

Posted March 22, 2006 - 06:37 AM

[quote name='icedfusion']

When putting the carb back together, One of the articles said to use some teflon/oil on the throttle valve, is this neccessary? Do you just buy this teflon as a liquid and 'paint' it onto the valve as you would oil?

Oil with Teflon is available in spray cans, yes you just squirt it on the slide and wipe off the excess. The reason for lubricating the throttle valve is that the 650 engines produces so much intake manifold vacuum when the the throttle is chopped that the slide tends to get sucked against the carb body and stick and not come down to idle position. This can be a large problem since the bike will not slow down as you expect when you chop the throttle. I have experienced this problem on XR600s and the 650R. My son and I in searching for a fix for this problem have settled on adding an oz. or two of two-stroke oil to each tank of gas. This has pretty much solved the problem. We were concerned at first about possible exhaust smoke and plug deposits, but so far have not had a problem in this area.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BigBoreRacing

Posted March 22, 2006 - 06:49 AM

2. When putting the carb back together, One of the articles said to use some teflon/oil on the throttle valve, is this neccessary? :thumbsup:.

[COLOR=Red]I've had several of these carbs apart an uncountable amount of times and have never used "oil" of any sort on them and have never had problems[/COLOR]

3. When putting the carb back together is it wise to use some sort of sealant on the faces?

[COLOR=Red]Nope[/COLOR]

• icedfusion

Posted March 22, 2006 - 09:23 AM

Thanks for the responses.

I noticed some wear on one side of the 'barrel' where the the throttle valve moves up and down - I will try a bit of teflon/oil spray on it and see if this makes any difference (probably only in my head - bit like a placebo pill!!)

Cheers

ice.

• rkuckkahn

Posted March 22, 2006 - 01:44 PM

Lubricating the slide works for a while but obviously doesn't "hold" there forever. Only my opinion but I agree with above..........these bikes benefit from adding lubrication to the fuel.

I would be a little concerned with two stroke oil in the gas though. The idea seems good but two stroke oil is very engine specific, ask any jetski rider. You can really mess up a two stroke engine with the wrong oil additive. It's the ash that's generated. Anyway I don't like the two stroke oil idea for a four stroke mainly due to the nature of the deposits that will build up and not be "cleaned" by normal engine operation.

While I never had a sticking problem myself, given the heat and stress on a one cylinder engine I add Seafoam to my gas :thumbsup: . It's a cleaner/lubricant that has served me well on all the four strokes I have: four bikes, boat, jetski (have a two stroke too), and the lawn mower. Even use it in the truck once in a while.

There's some fancy name for the lubrosity (I think that's it :bonk: ) diesel fuel provides the upper end of the engine. Diesels are high stress engines that run forever like the 650. Without adding a little lubrosity, gas (especially alcohol additive gas) will dry out the upper end of the engine, may allow buildup of gunk in the carb, valves, exhaust and so on :confused: . The Seafoam additive helps lubricate and I think is a lot better than two stroke oil. It is made for that purpose. You'll also never (never say never) see gunk building up in the carb or top end (valves, piston). At least that's been my experience when going in to maintain the carb and top.

Maybe this slide issue is more than just the slide and translates into the whole fuel circut. I never thought about the carb slide sticking maybe that's because I've put in the additive. It's only like one ounce per tank of gas so it's cheap. Also add a little Stabil for lower use times.

Had a bike run out of gas on the trail.........don't try to mouth syphen with all the additives the gas tastes terrible. I did and burped it up for a few hours......... :thumbsup:

• Old_Man_Time

Posted March 22, 2006 - 10:20 PM

I added a bit of Marvel Mystery Oil every so often. It doesn't seem to hurt anything. Can't say it did anything iether. I never thought to try it on a carb that was having idle hang problems cause I felt that was jetting issues. Which it usually is but if the carb was momentarily hanging I could see how the right additive might help.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  159 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.