XR600 motor in XL600??

4 replies to this topic
  • Eric19067

Posted March 21, 2006 - 10:13 PM

Does anyone know if an 85-87 XR600 motor will mount right up to a XL600 frame? Wiring? I'm sick of my XL motor and am looking for a cheap upgrade, and not an XR650r. The XR600's intake valves are 36mm vs. my 34 mm and the 31mm exhaust vs. my 30mm. Making my XL motor breath is a problem because the valve guides need to be shorter for a big cam. Too much $$$. Also, how much do you think I can get a XR600 doing to the rear?

• SanJoseWR450F

Posted March 22, 2006 - 12:33 AM

Don't know what year your XL is, but I'd stay away from 85-87 XR motor and go later to get rid of the dual carb scenario. Should bolt right up as far as I know. The harness could have some differences. Get both wiring schematics and compare.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Nummie

Posted March 23, 2006 - 02:59 PM

Anyone know if the single carb intake manifold from a '88 - '00 XR600R will work with a dual carbed XL600R head ? I would like to try a single carb on my XL, but don't know if it is possible without machining my own intake.

• Eric19067

Posted March 23, 2006 - 04:21 PM

I've thought about the same deal with the manifold. I checked out the mounting pattern between both single and dual on partsfish.com. They both have 3 mounting holes on them. It looks like the single may bolt up, BUT the seperate ports, there will be a serious flow problem there, unless you gut the crap out of the cylinder head, making one port go into two. Also, a single carb may hit the rear shock. Look on the bright side, two 30mm carbs have about 12% more area then one 40mm which makes more flow.

• Nummie

Posted March 23, 2006 - 07:03 PM

More flow is good.
Maby I should just keep watching ebay for a good set of carbs,
mine are corroded junk from sitting outside for too long. (previous owner)

Related Content

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  37 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.