Steering Head Ring Nut - How tight?

3 replies to this topic
  • Chad76

Posted March 21, 2006 - 06:10 PM

I have just re-greased my steering head bearings and put it all back together. However I think my steering may be on the loose side. The bike when sitting on a stand, the front wheel will swing to the left pretty easily. If I dont have a torque wrench what is the best method to know how tight to go with the ring nut? All im using is a hammer and screwdriver.

Can I tighten this more without having to pull the shocks off again etc? I was thinking if I take the bike off the stand and just undo and raise the top clamp I should be able to tighten it a little more?

Any help would be great. I have searched the topic but havent found exactly what Im after.

• Ga426owner

Posted March 22, 2006 - 06:03 AM

For the "I have no torque wrench method"

The ring nut "notched nut" should not be on too tight - as you tighten the top steering head nut this will tighten everything up. If the ring nut is too tight there will be binding as the handlebars are moved left to right. I tighten mine about 1/4 turn - 1/2 turn once it is handtightened as far as I can turn it. Then tighten the top nut very snug. The steering should moved side to side w/o any binding by turning the bike on it's side.

Go ahead and buy a will be using it a set the correct tightness. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 22, 2006 - 08:34 AM

Something to remember when you are working on the head bearings, or any bearing like this where you are running a lock nut down on another nut that sets preload on a bearing, is that when you tighten the top nut down, it will make the lower one tighter.

The threads have clearance in them. When you tighten the lower nut, the load pushes the nut up the stem, and against the underside of the stem threads. When you then tighten the top nut, that load pushes the lower nut down against the top side of the stem threads, changing the preload by the amount of the clearance in the threads.

Dave's method will work, but remember that the load you set on the head bearings will not be finalized until after both nuts are tight. Be sure to check it then.

And yes, you can tighten it without removing the works, although you may have to lift your bars out of place to get on the top nut. Loosen the top nut, and loosen the top clamp pinch bolts, then use a pin punch to adjust the head bearing preload, tightening the pinch bolts after the top nut is retightened.

• Chad76

Posted March 22, 2006 - 01:25 PM

Great. Thanks for that guys. Appreciate the advice.

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.