xr650r good deal?

54 replies to this topic
  • adam574

Posted March 23, 2006 - 05:24 PM

i wonder what the dealer guy is going to say when i ask him to fill out a rmv-1 form for this bike?

• Yamahondaha

Posted March 23, 2006 - 09:24 PM

Posted Image

WOW, It's been a long time but I remember Dick Bettencourts from way back in the 70's when I lived in R.I. I moved to CA and just got an 02 XR650R with a plate for $3,800 and one just sold on Ebay for $5,500. Mine is clean with no boot rub, all the bright yellow paint spots on all the bolts, original rear tire, original grips and an after market skid plate. I think it was never ridden off road. Starts with one kick, so far I love it...

• SoCalrider21

Posted March 23, 2006 - 09:33 PM

Congrats on the new bike. Have fun!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• ztsd

Posted March 23, 2006 - 11:05 PM

That spedo gizmo looks pretty cool
Is it possible to hook up the nuetral indicatoe light to an XR650R?

I suppose anything is possible with time and money, but a neutral light on the XR650R would probably be pushing the envelope. I did a quick check and NONE of the ‘L’ parts involved seem to match up.

The speedometer I’m getting has the directional arrows, hi-beam indicator and the neutral light only. I’m planning on using the neutral light as an Ignition On light so I have a visual indication that the ignition is on. Sounds stupid, but it’s easy to leave the ignition on by accident and wear the battery down. Happened several times so far.

• ztsd

Posted March 23, 2006 - 11:11 PM

tim, my email is onebd50@hotmail.comi am in plymouth mass pretty much a couple miles from the bourne bridge.
getting a ride together would be a blast.

I’m from that area also! I did a lot of riding on the powerlines and the old Jefferson Shores Sandpit. Everything seems closed now... That was fantastic off road riding. Maybe you can show me where to ride now.

I’m up in Boston now but I have a summer cottage in Onset. I’d love to get a bunch of plated XR’s for some dual sport rides out there.

• TimBrp

Posted March 24, 2006 - 04:21 AM

i wonder what the dealer guy is going to say when i ask him to fill out a rmv-1 form for this bike?

Nothing usually. Dealers are cool typically and they only have to sign the form. You bring it to your insurance to fill out. Remember to have the odo reading on the title filled in properly on the back also. If you're financing the bike get the orig. title in hand else, they send it off to the bank the loan was pulled from.

• ztsd

Posted March 24, 2006 - 07:16 AM

Plated in Massachusetts!

Just came back from the RMV with a shiny new registration plate.

I guess it’s no big deal as the bike was previously titled and registered in Vermont. I was just worried that Taxachusetts would give the bike a thumbs down...

Anyway, I’ve got a TICKET TO RIDE! :thumbsup:

• TimBrp

Posted March 24, 2006 - 07:50 AM

Plated in Massachusetts!

Just came back from the RMV with a shiny new registration plate.

I guess it’s no big deal as the bike was previously titled and registered in Vermont. I was just worried that Taxachusetts would give the bike a thumbs down...

Anyway, I’ve got a TICKET TO RIDE! :thumbsup:

Rock and roll Tom! Congrats! When we hooking up for a ride?

• ztsd

Posted March 24, 2006 - 08:20 AM

Rock and roll Tom! Congrats! When we hooking up for a ride?

Hi Tim,

I’m going over my friends hose with plate in hand tonight. I have an Edelbrock QS, rear spring and the speedometer coming sometime in the next week or two. Then I need to get the bike inspected. The speedometer was shipped Wednesday and as soon as it comes in I’ll install it and get the safety inspection sticker. I want to get all this stuff installed and make sure the bike is solid before I start planning any rides. Say maybe two weeks or so...

What are the best days for you? I help out at my old job on Mondays and Wednesdays, other than that I’m usually flexable...

Tom D.

• TimBrp

Posted March 24, 2006 - 09:27 AM

If you have issues with the sticker(you too Adam) let me know. I've got some friends in the business. Mon-Fri is tough. Although I've got 5 weeks of vacation this year and can take 1/4-1/2 or full days whatever works. Mondays are a no go, gotta be here for that. Two weeks sounds good. Let some of the mud subside from the thaw and we're good to go. I've got some great dual sporting areas around here if you're interested. I could even get us into the state parks right from my house via trails and some street.

Nice to see more New England pigs out there!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • adam574

Posted March 27, 2006 - 06:27 AM

i have a update on the bike. i don't have it and will not buy it. they had all the paperwork ready my loan was all set i just needed so sign on the dotted line and they would have had a sale. it was at this point i asked them to put a odometer reading on the back of the title and asked them to fill out a rmv-1 form for the bike. they said it would be illegal to put the mileage on the title since they have no idea what the mileage is and they can't fill out the rmv-1 form because it isn't road legal. so i then told them there would be no sale if they didn't do this and they had no problem with letting me walk away. i was so close but so far away. so if anybody wants a 04 xr650r for 3500 that is in pretty good shape call betterncourts 508-587-1701.

• TimBrp

Posted March 27, 2006 - 09:48 AM

Bummer Adam. Bettencourt's is a large, well advertised dealer. Basically, probably not as willing to aid the customer in an "illegal" aspect. I just gave my dealer the reading I had remember and went with it. Shop around, there's others out there. Good luck man!

• zx7rye

Posted March 27, 2006 - 07:50 PM

Why would you need an odometer reading?

• adam574

Posted March 27, 2006 - 09:11 PM

the registry needs it for the title i would be getting. they will put the new mileage on the new title that i would get that says it is street legal.

• TimBrp

Posted March 28, 2006 - 04:04 AM

On the back of the "original" Cert. of Origin the owner and dealer must sign and put the actual odo reading on the bike. The registry DID look for this. I went up to the blonde chick at my dealer and she asked..."How many miles on it". I stated..."oh, 1300" as the bike was not with me. I bought it new there anyhow.

• adam574

Posted March 28, 2006 - 10:08 AM

if i find a bike from a private seller this would be a breeze to do right. i doubt the guy would have any problems with the odo reading and helping me with the rmv-1 form.

• TimBrp

Posted March 28, 2006 - 11:00 AM

I think you would be better off that way, yes. Or, buy new. I'll PM you the name/number of my dealer. If I remember correctly they have a 2003 leftover in the box there. You could probably score it really cheap and they hooked me up with the paperwork also.

• ztsd

Posted March 28, 2006 - 11:01 AM

i have a update on the bike. i don't have it and will not buy it. they had all the paperwork ready my loan was all set i just needed so sign on the dotted line and they would have had a sale. it was at this point i asked them to put a odometer reading on the back of the title and asked them to fill out a rmv-1 form for the bike. they said it would be illegal to put the mileage on the title since they have no idea what the mileage is and they can't fill out the rmv-1 form because it isn't road legal. so i then told them there would be no sale if they didn't do this and they had no problem with letting me walk away. i was so close but so far away. so if anybody wants a 04 xr650r for 3500 that is in pretty good shape call betterncourts 508-587-1701.

Hey dude, I think you jumped the gun there... Take a look at this
THIS

Look at the email I got from the registry. All ya have to do is get the bike street legal, bring it to an inspection shop and have them state it’s OK on their letterhead. PM me and I’ll give ya a good place to try. Better yet, you could go there in person, before you buy the bike and talk to the guy that does the inspection. He seems really cool.

Go to your insurance office and tell them what your trying to do and ask them if they will fill out the rmv-1 for you. I think you can buy the bike and take what ever paperwork they give you. Go to your insurance co and they will fill out what you need. Get the safety inspection letter then go to the registry and get your plate...

I wouldn’t give up on that bike yet. Persistence pays...

• TimBrp

Posted March 28, 2006 - 12:49 PM

I agree w/ Ztsd to some extent. Although the back of the cert. of origin needs to be signed by the seller and the buyer with an accurate odo reading on it. If the dealer won't do that, he's shit out of luck.

• ztsd

Posted March 29, 2006 - 07:57 PM

I agree w/ Ztsd to some extent. Although the back of the cert. of origin needs to be signed by the seller and the buyer with an accurate odo reading on it. If the dealer won't do that, he's shit out of luck.

I don’t know how it works with the cert. of origin, but when I did the Vermont title I got, I just checked the box that said ‘mileage is NOT accurate,’ or something like that. They didn’t even question it. All ya have to tell them is the speedometer was missing off the bike when you got it and you had to replace it with an aftermarket one. The speedometer was missing wasn’t it? Mine didn’t have one either... Someone must have taken it off along with the directional signals and mirrors for dirt riding, and now I've fixed it back up...

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.