xr 650r engine -- help

8 replies to this topic
  • rc1546

Posted March 21, 2006 - 04:30 PM

my 03 xr650r lost the lower rod bearing and destroyed the crank,both crank case halves and bent the ex. valves. I'm trying to find a complete motor or complete lower end(mainly crank and cases) and not having any luck any help would be greatly appreciated

• brian jacquemin

Posted March 22, 2006 - 02:33 PM

Talk with Rob Barnum and he will be able to help you figure out the best way to deal with that. (760)868-8097 :thumbsup:

• gnarly sprockets

Posted March 22, 2006 - 03:38 PM

How'd you manage that? Low oil?

• rc1546

Posted March 22, 2006 - 04:19 PM

oil level was ok, temp never got above 225 , no warning at all lost power and started knocking thanks for the info on barnums

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TimBrp

Posted March 23, 2006 - 03:59 AM

Wow...I'm kind of mystified here. It just happend? I'm thinking an OEM mechanical defect occurred here. Got a warranty? I'm guessing, no...?

• frankstr

Posted March 23, 2006 - 05:25 AM

Wow...I'm kind of mystified here. It just happend? I'm thinking an OEM mechanical defect occurred here. Got a warranty? I'm guessing, no...?

That is strange...sorry to hear the bad news, Keep us informed .... :thumbsup:

• rc1546

Posted March 23, 2006 - 01:41 PM

no warranty, looks like the rod bearing just failed ran strong up to that point

• morewoops

Posted March 23, 2006 - 09:53 PM

had the same thing happen to mine. Come to find out it's not the bearing that goes, it's the thrust washers on each side of the rod bearing that go away. Bet it had all kinds of copper looking stuff in the oil, thats the washer material. Apparently, this is a fairly common problem when hard miles are put on the poor little pig, I had 2 races and alot of test time on that motor when it stopped.

I was lucky and found a guy on this form who was parting out a bike and got the motor for 1400. I was told that the case halves could be welded up and that Honda only sells the crank and bearing as one, but not sure of that.

Good luck in your search, hope this info helps and maybe we could put some of your parts and some of my parts and have a big partsfest. :thumbsup:

• rc1546

Posted March 24, 2006 - 08:56 AM

definitely lost the thrust washers but don't know witch went first, cases are broke to bad to be welded. wouldn't be to bad if i could find cases pretty cheap. parts at service Honda are reasonable but the cases are about $600

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.