Now what, Cut the chain?

5 replies to this topic
  • windseeker1

Posted March 21, 2006 - 04:08 PM

I bouth a 47 teeth sproket to install in my 426f, but now the chain is way big is it possible to get some links off,and put them on when i want to ride the 50T sprocket?

• unkle_george

Posted March 21, 2006 - 04:14 PM

Take the 47T back and buy a 1 tooth larger front sprocket....

• odonnks

Posted March 21, 2006 - 05:28 PM

Get a 520 chain breaker to remove some links.
Its designed to do what you want.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • byggd

Posted March 22, 2006 - 04:49 AM

Get a 520 chain breaker to remove some links.
Its designed to do what you want.

If you have a grinder you don't need to purchase a chain breaker, just grind the head off the pin and push it through.

• JDrooster

Posted March 22, 2006 - 05:05 AM

You'll definitely need to shorten the chain with one of the previously described methods. Making it longer again when you go back is problematic. I've seen guys use more than one master link and a short section of chain to lengthen one, but if it were me I'd jusy get another chain and set one the proper length for one sprocket, and one for the other. -Jerry

• Bamster

Posted March 22, 2006 - 05:52 AM

How old is that chain and how much use has it seen?
Quickest way to wear out a new sprocket is to throw on a whipped chain.
Why didn't you just buy a one tooth larger front sprocket at a fraction of the cost? I run a 51 tooth rear and swap between a 13 and 14 tooth front depending on how tight the trails are.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.