16tooth CS sprocket for 650R?

5 replies to this topic
  • Maximus86

Posted March 21, 2006 - 01:20 PM

Where do you huys get the 16t counter-shaft sprockets and does the stock case gaurd still fit?

• Maximus86

Posted March 22, 2006 - 09:48 AM

i tried search-couldn't find anything

bump

• snaggleXR650

Posted March 22, 2006 - 11:33 AM

http://www.sprockets...x?txtSearch=617

part # is 617-16 $34.99

I used one on my 17" SM setup along with a 44T rear sprocket. This combo will just work with the stock 110 link chain (wheel will be WAY back in the swingarm). I think 16/42 will be about perfect with a 108 link chain (wheel well forward in the swingarm). You won't want to go much taller than 16/42 as that puts you darn close to 120mph and will allow a smooth 80-85 mph cruising speed. Gearing with dirt wheels will have to considerably lower. As a matter of fact, you won't be able to practically utilize a 16T with the stock wheels. For dirt wheels (dual sport) 15/45 or 46 will put you in the 115mph range and is more than enough for dual sport use.

I had an XR's Only 15T case saver, I traced it out on a 1/4" piece of aluminum, and cut it out with a scroll saw. I drilled the holes and such and then used an abrasive wheel to grind it to shape/fit. I doubt the stock 14T case saver will fit, but I never tried it. You might could grind on it, but there isn't much material there to begin with. The stock sprocket cover does fit on the 16T sprocket, but alot of people don't use it anyway.

Here are some pics of my custom made 16T next to the XR's Only 15T.

http://members.cox.n...tto/case-savers

http://members.cox.n...o/case-savers-2

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • slomotobug

Posted March 22, 2006 - 08:31 PM

16T????????????? what are you nuts? stock gearing it does 100, go to 15/45 and you're good for over 115. If you need more than that, either your name is Johnny Campbel or you need to just get a CBR not an XR.

• snaggleXR650

Posted March 23, 2006 - 05:27 AM

It's not for top speed. The XR650R cruises roughly at higher RPM's. For extended high speed riding, especially street/highway situations, the taller gearing enables *smooth* low RPM cruising at 75-80mph. It's easy to tell when you need taller gearing when you are always looking for 6th gear.

I've found that in all but extended interstate travelling (not the XR's specialty), 15/48 is a pretty good tradeoff for cruising speed and low end grunt for off road.

For really tight single track, and other slower technical riding 13/48 works great. You can really crawl through/over obstacles and rarely have to feather the clutch. It also makes the motor hard to stall out.

• slomotobug

Posted March 23, 2006 - 07:44 AM

It's not for top speed. The XR650R cruises roughly at higher RPM's. For extended high speed riding, especially street/highway situations, the taller gearing enables *smooth* low RPM cruising at 75-80mph. It's easy to tell when you need taller gearing when you are always looking for 6th gear.

I've found that in all but extended interstate travelling (not the XR's specialty), 15/48 is a pretty good tradeoff for cruising speed and low end grunt for off road.

For really tight single track, and other slower technical riding 13/48 works great. You can really crawl through/over obstacles and rarely have to feather the clutch. It also makes the motor hard to stall out.

Try a 14/52 for the tight stuff , pretty much the same as the 13/48, just gets the chain away from the slider more, i found that with a 13t front it ate up the swingarm slider VERY fast, and those things aren't cheap.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.