"01 YZ426 Actual Weight Yikes!

39 replies to this topic
  • FZ1426

Posted March 21, 2006 - 12:07 PM

Actually weighed my 01 426 (empty) with full oil...247lbs. :thumbsup: That's some significant tubbage!

Other factors of note one way or the other:

Applied upper clamp (D-bolt with risers) and Pro tapers. (Heavier than stock upper clamp with alum bars).
O-ring chain. (heavier).
Eibach rear spring. (heavier).
Powernow vane. (heavier).

Hotcams auto decomp cam. (lighter).
'03 450 rear master cylinder. (lighter).
Dr. D front brake line. (lighter).
Ti pegs. (lighter).
Drilled Works Connection glide plate. (lighter).
Stock pipe w/Pro moto billet end cap. (wash).
Light tires/tubes.

FWIW. It's still a great bike.

• Goosedog

Posted March 21, 2006 - 12:38 PM

Yeah but I'm not thinking about how much she weighs when I wick the throttle and can barely hold on. :thumbsup:

If horsepower to weight ratio matters in the woods (and I know it does) these bikes are all I ever want. :thumbsup:

• swab400

Posted March 21, 2006 - 04:44 PM

Yeah these are heavy bikes! No doubt. You should look into doing the 450 plastics mod it shaves about 5-8 pounds off the bike and is all up high! Outside of the 450 cam mod I would say this is by far the best mod out there for these bikes. Less weight, better ergos and better looks! Give another big thanks to Dave J for coming up with this mod!

• Milhaus

Posted March 21, 2006 - 04:51 PM

My F650 weighs in at a portly 397lbs!! While my 00 YZ426F feels very slender at 250lbs!! All things are relative.

Ride a F650 all week and when the weekend rolls around you will throwing the YZ around like it is a paperweight!!

• gem

Posted March 21, 2006 - 05:06 PM

I just picked up one an 01 426 that has been tricked out by a race shop. It has a super loud muzzy pipe so I am going to get a Q to match up with the existing power bomb, when that is done I will jet it and then get to feel the power. I will still ride my KDX220 in the tight woods. The sound of a 4 stroke alone is a thrill, and the weight is something I'll just have to deal with. Here in the northwest corner of Ct it was 15 degrees last night so we still have some time to wait to go riding. Some of the local news outlets reported the DEP was out during the last warm weekend with airplanes and and agents on the ground busting about 20 orv riders. You Californians have it so good. Every time I look at some dirt bike magazine with its prime riding spots I get green with envy.

• RCannon

Posted March 21, 2006 - 06:42 PM

I know th elater bikes lost some weight. It will be interesting to see how the dropped weight is goign to affect the long life of the Yamaha's as we know them.

Yamaha HAD to sell the world on 4 stroke mx bikes. I believe they purposely engineered the 400-426 to be reliable. Better than anything else out there, possibly even two strokes. Its shocking to see how many were sold and how few people are having trouble with even the 98's. I think I would put up with the weight just to be riding a great bike thats as reliable as a claw hammer.

• Goosedog

Posted March 21, 2006 - 06:45 PM

You should look into doing the 450 plastics mod it shaves about 5-8 pounds off the bike and is all up high!

Can you give more details or maybe a link to a thread on this topic?

• 2fastwhitey

Posted March 21, 2006 - 06:51 PM

I know th elater bikes lost some weight. It will be interesting to see how the dropped weight is goign to affect the long life of the Yamaha's as we know them.... Its shocking to see how many were sold and how few people are having trouble with even the 98's. I think I would put up with the weight just to be riding a great bike thats as reliable as a claw hammer.

I second that my friend. When I was looking for my 426 the fact that I found and 2000 at a good deal, the year wasn't even an issue because these bikes are super durable and still technically sound.

• FZ1426

Posted March 21, 2006 - 06:55 PM

My F650 weighs in at a portly 397lbs!! While my 00 YZ426F feels very slender at 250lbs!! All things are relative.

Ride a F650 all week and when the weekend rolls around you will throwing the YZ around like it is a paperweight!!

No doubt. I used to ride xr600/650's. :thumbsup:

• FZ1426

Posted March 21, 2006 - 06:57 PM

Yeah these are heavy bikes! No doubt. You should look into doing the 450 plastics mod it shaves about 5-8 pounds off the bike and is all up high! Outside of the 450 cam mod I would say this is by far the best mod out there for these bikes. Less weight, better ergos and better looks! Give another big thanks to Dave J for coming up with this mod!

5-8 lbs from a plastics change? You'll be hard pressed to convince me of that. But go ahead and try!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • odlaw19

Posted March 21, 2006 - 08:33 PM

5-8 lbs from a plastics change? You'll be hard pressed to convince me of that. But go ahead and try!

if you change the seat cover.... you can loose 2lbs! HAHAHAHA

• kid on a 426

Posted March 21, 2006 - 09:19 PM

Every time I look at some dirt bike magazine with its prime riding spots I get green with envy.

It's not all that great up here in Nor-cal but I want to ride Glen Helen so badly. Where we usually ride you must have a green sticker and be under 96db and the speed limit is 15mph and no wheelies or exhibtion of speed. My bro's friend got fined 127 dollars for going 45 on the road

• MichiganMXer

Posted March 22, 2006 - 06:23 AM

On a muddy day you can add an additional 20lbs of mud and a couple more for the gas.

275!!! LOL.

I've had my 01 since the showroom floor and it still owns me.

• FZ1426

Posted March 22, 2006 - 07:23 AM

On a muddy day you can add an additional 20lbs of mud and a couple more for the gas.

275!!! LOL.

Gas is 6lbs/gal. 10.8lbs for a full tank.

• grayracer513

Posted March 22, 2006 - 09:00 AM

Some thoughts:

First, I don't know about the weight loss leading to a reduction in reliability in the YZF's but so far, I've had more trouble with my sundial than my YZ450.

Next, on the Miraculous 450 Plastics Mod, the 450's are lighter, but that's not why. To start with, the frame is 6 pounds lighter, and it goes on from there.

When I think about the bikes I used to ride and love...the Matchlesses, the Goldstars... My Matchless G80 in dirt trim weighed 340 pounds. Our very light TT Goldstar weighed a svelte 286 without fuel. When I bought my '71 BSA B50MX, we were all amazed that it was only 260 pounds ( I loved that bike). Do you have any concept of how alien the whole notion of a 250 pound, 46 horsepower 4-stroke with 12" of suspension travel like the YZ426 is in that context? We would have any of us killed to get something like it.

• smiti105

Posted March 22, 2006 - 09:30 AM

275!!! LOL.

I am with you on that one, same here.

• smiti105

Posted March 22, 2006 - 09:31 AM

275!!! LOL.

I am with you on that one, same here. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• swab400

Posted March 22, 2006 - 11:55 AM

JUST DO A SEARCH FOR 450 PLASTIC MOD AND YOU SHOULD GET MORE INFO THAN YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH. IT IS A SIMPLE PROJECT AND DOES SHAVE 5-8 POUNDS, I KNOW I WEIGHED MY PARTS NEW AND OLD! A: THE TANK IS A SMIDGE SMALLER THAT SAVES YOU WEIGHT B: THE TANK IS MADE OUT OF THINNER PLASTIC, THAT SAVES WEIGHT C:THE AIRBOX IS A ALMOST HALF THE WEIGHT OF THE 426 AIRBOX, THAT SAVES WEIGHT D: YOU HAVE TO RUN THE 450 REAR MASTER CYLIDER THAT SAVES YOU WEIGHT NOT TO MENTION THE VERY MUCH IMPROVED ERGOS! WELL WORTH THE TIME AND EFFORT BUT IF YOU LIKE THE ERGOS OF THE 426 AND THE ADDED WEIGHT THEN DISREGARD THIS POST. :thumbsup:

• Goosedog

Posted March 22, 2006 - 02:12 PM

Ok Ok....quit shouting will ya :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted March 22, 2006 - 03:00 PM

What he's left out is the fact that the complete mod requires the seat and subframe from the 450 along with the plastics.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.