Pig Roast

10 replies to this topic
  • ewbish

Posted March 21, 2006 - 07:58 AM

After sinking my XRL in the San Pedro and toasting the clutch ( Recovering the Pig ) I finally got around to rebuilding it this weekend. Clutch was definitely smoked, 3 of the friction disks looked like my wife's brownies;-) and they all spec'd out at close to half what they should be thickness wise. I threw in the new EBC clutch and heavy duty springs and she was good to go.

While I had it apart and up on the jack, I went ahead and dropped the forks. The fork oil that came out was green and smelled like sewage, &%$#@!????? Nasty stuff. I flushed the forks with ATF a couple of times, let them drain for a couple of hours, then filled them with 20oz of Honda 8-10 wt fork oil. Put all that back together with my RSW fork brace. I also put on my new Maier back fender and Baja Designs LED brake/tail light-at some point on my last ride a nasty loop out smashed the back fender and busted up the light pretty good.

Put it all back together and rode about about an hour. WOW!!! The fork work made a whole new bike--the high speed death wobble is gone, and it tracks incredibly in deep sand now! In fact, the front end feels so good now I'm rethinkin my future project of putting on the CR front end! The new clutch is magnitudes better than the original, should have done that in the beginning. I can also say, I don't miss the extra 10 pounds of tail light crap that used to hang off the back. All in all, I'm pretty happy with the upgrades and new parts. I think I spent a total of maybe 225.00 on everything (clutch, plastic,brace, fluid, oil, gasket), got a lot of bang for the buck!.

• Supplicate

Posted March 21, 2006 - 08:24 AM

I would suggest going through your rear shock as well, to keep things balanced suspension wise.

Its amazing what the little things will do sometimes :thumbsup:

• goblin127

Posted March 21, 2006 - 10:57 AM

Just wondering how much each fork leg takes 10oz.? When you put the maier fender on did you use the sub frame? Thanx.

• ewbish

Posted March 21, 2006 - 11:11 AM

20 oz EACH fork. Book called for 19.1, but I wanted to run them a bit stiffer (I'm a big dude).

With the Maier plastic, the best part is you get to toss that section of sub frame! Another lb shaved off the pig.

• TimBrp

Posted March 21, 2006 - 11:32 AM

Honda fills the XR's specially w/ whale snot.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ewbish

Posted March 21, 2006 - 11:39 AM

Honda fills the XR's specially w/ whale snot.

I believe it. That may have been the nastiest stuff I have ever seen come out of a mechanical device in my life. I've never even seen a bottle in any bike shop in my life that contained a fluid this shade of green. Friggin' smelled like KimChee.

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted March 21, 2006 - 12:03 PM

I believe it. That may have been the nastiest stuff I have ever seen come out of a mechanical device in my life. I've never even seen a bottle in any bike shop in my life that contained a fluid this shade of green. Friggin' smelled like KimChee.

Annyong ha simnikka

ana mikju shushipshiyo?

• ewbish

Posted March 21, 2006 - 01:08 PM

Annyong ha simnikka

ana mikju shushipshiyo?

Ha! Sorry, don't know a lick of Korean. Russian, Czech, or SC I got your back (though I haven't used them in 10 years and am a bit rusty). Almost any joe that spent more than a decade in the Army knows what Kimchee smells like!

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted March 22, 2006 - 04:46 AM

Ha! Sorry, don't know a lick of Korean. Russian, Czech, or SC I got your back (though I haven't used them in 10 years and am a bit rusty). Almost any joe that spent more than a decade in the Army knows what Kimchee smells like!

*lol*

Yes ewbish they do. :thumbsup:

wow that stuff is rank.

I lived in Korea for a couple years & picked up some of the language, but i have since forgotten most of it. :thumbsup:

• ztsd

Posted March 24, 2006 - 09:29 AM

"I'd rather hunt with Cheney, than fly with Kennedy!"

OR for that mater, DRIVE with Kennedy!

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted March 24, 2006 - 09:45 AM

OR for that mater, DRIVE with Kennedy!

*L* good point

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.